Create your own XP x64 IE8 SVCPACK type AddOn.

johnhc

OK, I made an SVCPACK type AddOn for IE8 XP x64. This file can be placed into nLite's Hot Fixes area, but the actual install does not take place until SVCPACK is processed at T-13. The process is relatively easy but a little tricky in a couple of places. Here are my steps:

1. DL IE8 installer from MS DL Center.
  2. Create an IE8 silent installer, with the switches /PASSIVE /NORESTART. Use /QUIET in place of /PASSIVE to see nothing during install.
  3. Create a folder called SVCPACK and place your silent installer in it.
  4. Create an entries.ini file.
  5. Place your SVCPACK folder and entries.ini file into a folder.
  6. Make a cabinet file on the previous folder.

Some comments. I use 7-Zip to create my silent installer. The instructions are in the Help of 7-Zip. Here is the config.txt file I use:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Progress="yes"
BeginPrompt=""
Title="Install Internet Explorer 8"
Directory=""
RunProgram="x64_IE8\IE8-WindowsServer2003-x64-ENU.exe /PASSIVE /NORESTART"
;!@InstallEnd@!

I use Windows MakeCab to create the cabinet file, using the directive file (file type .ddf) here:

;   Directive for making a large Cabinet file (<1 GB).  The active directory must point to the folder 
; containing the files/folders to be made into a .CAB file.
; MakeCab /f IE8_MakeCab.ddf, output will go to active directory
.OPTION EXPLICIT

.Set CabinetNameTemplate=x64_IE8_AddOn.CAB

.Set MaxCabinetSize=1000000000

.Set MaxDiskSize=1000000000

.Set Cabinet=on
.Set Compress=on

Entries_x64_IE8.ini

.Set DestinationDir=SVCPACK
SVCPACK\x64_IE8.exe

And finally, here is my entries file (Entries_x64_IE8.ini):

[general]
builddate=03/29/2009
description=XP x64 IE8 RTM AddOn
language=English
title=x64_IE8
version=1.0
website=http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d044402c-84ce-472e-b3ac-9531f4feef47

[EditFile]
AMD64\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
x64_IE8.exe

It does work - currently running IE8 on my VM.

Any updates to IE8 must be installed out of the RunOnce exit or after install, since IE8 is not installed until T-13.

The various file names are not important as long as consistent, except for the entries file name must contain the word entries and the SVCPACK must be just that.

Have fun, John.

EDIT: I should have pointed out that I started with the instructions in the AddOn sub-forum just above this one, here - even has pictures! I just adapted them to x64. Here is a post for making a silent installer.

EDIT2: You can change the switch /PASSIVE to /QUIET to see nothing during IE8 install.

Edited by johnhc

Thanks for this.

Create an IE8 silent installer, with the switches /PASSIVE /NORESTART

Does it have to be passive? I was using these 3 on mine:

/quiet /update-no /norestart

Also, can I just make a 7z archive of the SVCPACK folder + entries.ini, for use with nLite 1.4.9.1?

Edited by LeveL

LeveL, it does not need to be passive - just what I use. Quiet is fine. I am not familiar with /update-no, so can't comment on it. You can always try these things easily. Enjoy, John.

akiver, I posted a link in the bottom EDIT on the my first post. The instructions of 7-Zip Help is where I learned. Enjoy, John.

Thanks, I learn new things every day, a 7z silent installer.

Well, I put it all on store setting (no point compressing the IE8 setup file).

Was about to put a link to that guide but you beat me.

Notice someone joined today asking about this... I wonder if anyone is making a x64 true addon, not that I am even hinting that anyone should, I know it is really time consuming and complicated, I just wonder if anyone is working on one thats all.

I understand it a lot better now how to make addons, at least installer types!

LeveL, a True-AddOn (also, INF-AddOn, Slipstream-AddOn, Real-AddOn and probably more) is much better. They can contain the update (KB968220), and are integrated. They are much more difficult, subtle and complex. Sereby (wrote the Slipstream-AddOn for IE8 32 bit) on the RyanVM forums commented that he would work on a 64 bit version. I am waiting for it to come and I will abandon this one. Enjoy, John.

I have my .ini, .cab and the .exe (silent installer) but in nlite, it's a 7z file, so what's files must be in the 7z file?

PS: I'm french and I use the french installer (x86)

Edited by akiver

akiver, sorry I do not understand the question. You should place only the cabinet (.cab) into the Hot Fixes area of nLite.

so what's files must be in the 7z file?
What do you mean, please? Enjoy, John.

akiver, please post the error you got (screen shot). I assume you meant to type .cab not .bac? Please post Windows Explorer screen shots of your SVCPACK folder, the folder you made the silent installer from and the folder you made into a .cab file. Did you create a config.txt file and include it into your folder containing the IE8 installer file? If you like, you can attach your entries, config and directive (.ddf) files for us to look at. You can place them in a folder and compress them with 7-Zip or your favorite compression SW. Enjoy, John.

1. I create my silent installer with this files: (in C:\Documents and Settings\aki\Mes documents\IE8)

90461617.png

I create my IE8.7z file like this:

27814040.png

With 7z options:

78011246.png

I name my archive "IE8_xp.7z"

Now I delete IE8-WindowsXP-x86-FRA.exe and I don't change icon in 7zS.sfx so I don't modify him.

Well I have:

32477205.png

My config.txt: (in UTF-8)

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Progress="yes"
BeginPrompt=""
Title="Install Internet Explorer 8"
Directory=""
RunProgram="IE8-WindowsXP-x86-FRA.exe /PASSIVE /NORESTART"
;!@InstallEnd@!

I create the exe with cmd.exe with the line:

copy /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt + IE8_xp.7z IE8.exe

82277106.png

Now I have my IE8.exe

32922927.png

When I lunch the .exe it's working:

34328095.png

So I create a SVCPACK folder, I put IE8.exe in this folder and create a Entries_IE8.ini:

11068752.png

My Entries_IE8.ini :

[general]
builddate=03/29/2009
description=XP x86 IE8 RTM AddOn
language=French
title=x86_IE8
version=1.0
website=http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d044402c-84ce-472e-b3ac-9531f4feef47

[EditFile]
AMD64\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
IE8.exe

I use capback for create my cab file:

14934842.png

When it's done I have my cab file with Entries_IE8.ini and IE8.exe inside :

79607536.png

I select him in nlite:

31843311.png

The progression is very fast and I have:

87188333.png

During the installation there is the IE8 Installer:

54659013.png

LoL it's working!!!

90921242.png

But I have a question, how install IE8 without the screen during the installation of XP?

Thanks a lot. :)

Edited by akiver

LOL I read all that to find it worked for him at the end. :unsure:

Yes I didn't like it popping up either, some want it there so you know it really is installing, but I just tested it once and used /quiet after that.

Whats funny is I was convinced you cannot install IE8 from SVCPACK, people were saying Windows needs to be fully logged in, but this addon proves that wrong.

Trying to find a tweak now to stop the welcome screen but the tweak I did find was the IE8 RC1 tweak and think the reg entries have changed since IE8 RC1. Problem is that welcome screen sets up a lot of things like Phishing Filter and so on, it can't just be one entry because how is all the other stuff set up? It needs a lot of tweaks I think to fully stop the IE8 nag screen, sorry, IE8 welcome screen.