Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How much are you willing to pay

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: How much are you willing to pay for a new cd? USD (59 member(s) have cast votes)

How much are you willing to pay for a new cd? USD

1. 16$ (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

2. 14$ (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

3. 12$ (5 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. 10$ (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

5. 8$ (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

6. 6$ (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

7. Im not buying another cd until the RIAA stops suing people (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

8. I buy my CDs used (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. I dont buy CDs (22 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

sven

sven

iPod therefore iHappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Joined 13-August 03
just wondering, is price the problem the RIAA doesn't want to admit?
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ggtyh

ggtyh

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Joined 11-August 03
IMHO, the problem is either economic, cultural and qualitative.

I mean, you hear a song on the radio, like it, buy the CD. You still like the tune, but there are 12 other boring songs that you just hate. So you got scammed for 12-14$. (Wasted the money would have been a better expression...)

I guess people dont' want to pay 15$ for something they are not sure to like at 100%, especially since we all tasted free music, and individual picks.

I think that a pay-per-song scheme would be better for the consumer, because he'll buy only the songs he wants, and also it will push pressure on the musicians - and the majors - to produce better songs.

The same thinking goes with movies. Going to the movie is expensive now, and people can always rent the DVD later. So now, only real good movies, or mega-blockbusters that need some serious kicka$$ sound system attract tons of customers to the movie.

My 2 cents...
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but you are abusing the privilege.

stimpee

stimpee

• 26 posts
  • Joined 17-November 03
i still buy cds but only the ones that arent copy protected. i refuse to buy inferior product. if its copy protected, i download it instead.

Carmon

Carmon

MSFN's Local Mental Case

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Joined 08-June 03
I do a bit of both i buy but also download but like the RIAA bit silly Suing ppl especially like 12year old Cuz they dont reall know dat its a legal but in UK are goverment to slow to clock on dis RIAA thing so we probly Start doing the same like 5 years later lol
Posted Image

Doggie

Doggie

I'm very inactive :(

• Patrons
  • 2,676 posts
  • Joined 13-October 02
dont understand, whats the topic about in more detail.. "how much are u willing to pay" doesnt make sense to me :/

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Joined 12-December 03
ill download here and there and buy also but id rather just get what songs i like instead of paying for a few good ones and a mess load of bad ones so i dunno, :)

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

sven

sven

iPod therefore iHappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Joined 13-August 03

ill download here and there and buy also but id rather just get what songs i like instead of paying for a few good ones and a mess load of bad ones so i dunno, :)

just like me. whos gonna pay 18$ for 2 good songs. only those mix cds with the best songs of the year are worth buying.
Posted Image

devil270975

devil270975

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Joined 31-July 03
any chance of you also putting the £ equivalent next to it for us brits ie $16 (£8) dont quote me on the conversion though, the last time i checked it was about $2 to the £ and that was about ten years ago...lol...

I never buy my cd's anyway, what i do is buy a cd take it home unclip the the levers, take the cd out, copy it then take it back completely intact with the security sticker, that way they cant say anything, would do it with dvd's aswell but not found a way of removing the disc without removing the wrapper, if anyone knows a way or has a spare dvd case wrapper thingy for sale then please let me know...lol...

un4given1

un4given1

Elaborate Dreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
None of you any longer have an excuse. There are places where you can buy those 1-2 songs that you like.
What if everything around you, isn't quite as it seems...
What if all the world you used to know, is an elaborate dream...
And if you look at your reflection, Is that all you want to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself... find yourself afraid to see?

sven

sven

iPod therefore iHappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Joined 13-August 03

None of you any longer have an excuse.  There are places where you can buy those 1-2 songs that you like.

only in the USA. unless you wanna use puretracks.com here in canada, but there add is that the downloader is contageous and has to be destroyed. until they move to canada, i cant buy my songs.

PS. i like to encode my music at 192 kbp/s. these programs are at 128 and wma audio format, which is crap. ill only use itunes, which is aac.
Posted Image

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
yes I agree with ggtyh.
I don't want to pay for the music that I don't like.
so I guess napster is a good choice. I haven't used it yet but if it contains 192kbit songs I'd definitely go for it and pay some money for the tracks that I like.
after all, all the singers know that their 'x' song sucks and 'y' song rulez. maybe they won't release the bad songs just to fill the cd :)

sven

sven

iPod therefore iHappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Joined 13-August 03

maybe they won't release the bad songs just to fill the cd

thats what some people think that they have to do to sell cds, not sue like mad. they never listen, the riaa. they should have taken napster like a sign. people dont like the cds and would rather only get what they want. but there stupid, so why continue. :/
Posted Image

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
wow !!! seems like 50% of ppl here agree with me (they don't buy cds anymore).

As for me, been a year and more since I download songs thru p2p - iTunes gets the thumbs-up from me.
And am yet to check out napster - how's the service ?
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Joined 24-August 01

The same thinking goes with movies. Going to the movie is expensive now, and people can always rent the DVD later. So now, only real good movies, or mega-blockbusters that need some serious kicka$$ sound system attract tons of customers to the movie.

only thing that brings me to the movies is for goin a night out with my girl..
Removed by admin - Read Forum Rules

--IM OUT

snocked

snocked

• 15 posts
  • Joined 09-January 03
14 seems fair. I only buy CDs from artists I know I will like all the songs on the CD.

jdeboeck

jdeboeck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
cd's are way too expensive! Many movies on dvd are cheaper than audio cd's, that just doesnt make sense to me. Soundtrack CD's costing nearly as much as the DVD movies, that's a rip off. Older DVD's get cheap real fast, older CD's cost just the same as new ones.

I don't buy CD's, I'ld rather listen to a movie... :)

squallgreg

squallgreg

Junior

• Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined 06-October 03
Here in France new CDs are sold between 15 and 20€ and I dont think its expensive. Its expensive because I'm a poor student :). As soon as I'll get a job I'd buy CDs at 15€ : 12 songs, sometimes a bonus CD or video clips, etc. Dont choose the ones with only ten songs and no lyrics :rolleyes:

Guest_photomixer_*

Guest_photomixer_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
My idea: CD is one of the greatest swindles of the 20th century. If you want good sound, then your best bet is to buy an LP instead.

R600

R600

• PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03
haha... "not buying until RIAA stops suing people.." lol :rolleyes:

well I'm in the UK so us Brits are kinda used to paying a little more. :)
the price we pay here isn't even on the scale you've provided for in this poll. you're looking at something like $22-28 for most albums.
Main Comp
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2100+ | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7VRX | RAM: 768MB DDR PC2700 | HDD: 80GB IBM Deskstar | GFX: Inno3D GF4 Ti4200 128MB | Audio: Creative Audigy Platinum Ex | Speakers: Creative Inspire 5500
Windows XP Pro

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
wow Brits = crazy!
not paying $28 except maybe for games.
as mentioned the dvd's which production costs billions of dollars are sold at max $30. whereas the audio cd's shouldn't be that much right

but there is this issue. when u watch a movie in the cinema (which i believe is still more popular than dvd's since not so many ppl collect dvd's, maybe only rent them)
so by going to cinema's and buying tickets they already make money. well that's not the case with audio cd's. listening them on the radio won't make them millions.
so that actually makes sense to be paying much for the audio cd's.

i mean if u think about the cost of production for cd's and dvd's its like $1+the machinery price and the effort (hmm pressing a button :rolleyes:)

but i still prefer individual sound tracks to be sold, as in napster & itunes etc.
but i dunno how much the singers earn from those :) (i don't care as long as i don't become a singer :D)

and in addition as ppl get faster internet connections they (at least what i'd do) dl higher bitrates (i tend to dl 192, i hear the difference between 128-192)
and thats even better as the connections get better i've some 320kbit songs they're awesome!!

Edited by XtremeMaC, 30 April 2004 - 07:49 AM.

HyDeNCiTy

HyDeNCiTy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Joined 05-March 04
I would pay 10 bucks for a good CD... why not, if I like the music.... But I think digital music is the greatest thing. u can get the songs u like and not get what u don't like..
Flash and animated signatures and avatars are not permitted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users