VLK, Corporate, Volume-Editions

g-force

I`m unsure how to handle with Topics containing "VLK, Corporate, Volume-Editions" here @ MSFN.

I`m owner and Admin @ www.german-winlite.de , the german nLite-Support-Forum.

We always reject any topics about that due to german laws and nLite-License.

If a user owns a VLK, he maybe breaks nLite-license > rejected

If a user has a VLK in private use, maybe it`s leaked (or something else...) > rejected

How do I have to handle it at MSFN?

Edit1: Adding "Pirated Editions" like "MikroXP" and others.

Edit2: Yes, I`ve read the RULES.

Edited by g-force

Good question!

Personally, I've always found the term 'maybe' to be a tough sell. It's almost always impossible to foresee every possible reason why a user might have things set up a certain way and that would 'maybe' include licensing terms as well. As a shop tech, I deal with all kinds of keys in all sorts of circumstances. But just because I can't think of a decent (and legal) reason off the top of my head for a private user to be using a VLK key doesn't mean that a good (and legal) reason doesn't exist. I can cite many other perfectly legitimate sites that do allow discussions that include VLK issues, but they also have to occasionally deal with posts that cross the line. The thing is that many of those disrespectful posts are not just centered around VLK product keys. They also hit on certain types of hacks and illegal keys that are used on retail &/or OEM installations.

I must admit that I do get to enjoy a good laugh whenever a post is flagged for stuff like that, but I also know that they're annoying as heck to the admins that have to patrol the threads looking for that kind of thing.

I use a VLK at work for my O/s builds. I have used Nlite on my test systems to do file compares if it was successfully accomplishing something that gave me issues. I had no problems that were not already well documented within the forum, but those questions would have legitimately involved a VLK and Nlite, i suppose. I never saw that the key mattered, or any place where it would be readily visible, (as the key would be removed from logs, naturally) unless the OP explicitly acknowledged using a volume license.

g-force, my position is to take the poster's word for what they are doing. I know almost nothing about VLKs, so I avoid this specific issue. All this unless something is said to lead me to believe that the nLite license agreement is being violated. Then I point out the salient points of the agreement and ask the poster to read it and let us know if they are adhering to it. I have even posted the agreement (less than a page). If it is very obvious that the agreement is violated, then I refer to it and say we cannot help. Sometime I post a link to the MSFN Unattended Guide. These are tough questions that make me glad I am a technical person and not a legal one. I would be deathly afraid to have a legal mind issue an opinion on all of our use of these types of software systems. Hope this helps. Enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...

The keys students (usually technology department students) receive are through MSDNAA, they are retail keys w/ a different EULA and require activation.

nuhi doesn't even allow nLite for commercial purpose, does he?

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.
And VLK isn't licensed to individuals buying for just one or couple of computers.

IMHO, bad idea anyway for company desktops.. just don't do it.