7 on Celeron

rkarthea

I love your blog, its my passion also...will it work, heck lets try!!

comments and opinions: I don't think I'd of been brave enough to try a new OS on those specs, I had it running great on a 1.2mhz with a gig of ram, that impressed me alone!

I look forward to your next update my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

For some strange reason, the bracket for the sound output ports (the one with the sound and the serial ports) has stopped working on my PC2. This is ARPITA ( A real pain in the A**) as that PC is used mainly for Music and Videos.

I must say, I did not expect it to play HD, obviously but at least normal videos streamed from my PC1.... It plays like I'm playing it over Remote desktop. Even Audio (when the audio ports were working) was choppy. This was unexpected. You might think it is the problem with my cable or my switch but I've checked all that and it is all working fine and were working just simply superb when on XP.

This leaves me with only 2 conclusions...

Either the graphics drivers aren't compatible enough or the card itself is not capable. I think the former being more likely. Since they don't make drivers for Vista or 7 for this card, I cannot get a newer driver and since the board has got only PCI slots, i can only add a PCI graphics card if ever I do. I googled for PCI graphics cards and amazingly I found them being still manufactured but are very costly.

Spending anything more than INR 500 to 750 (US $ 10 to 15 approx) is pointless on this piece of hardware.

If you can find or if you know of a place to get good drivers for my card, please post it here

OR

If any of you know someone here in India who's willing to sell me such a card or if you own it and want to sell it with the cost not exceeding the above mentioned sum including shipping to Bangalore, India, please get in touch with me. :thumbup

I forgot to mention... Now I'm going to try out the latest build 7100 RC of Windows 7 on the same config. Let's see how it goes.

If it works all fine, "Way to Go M$"! or else (which is more likely) huh.. whatever... as expected.

Still, 7 is one new OS which runs so wonderfully well on older hardware.

@rkarthea

Are you using in-box W7 drivers? What I would normally do in situations like this is unpack the latest drivers (yours being very old indeed) and manually add or update the driver via Device manager and point to the inf. When Vista was first released, I couldn't find a compatible cmedia driver to save my life. It would fail to install when running setup.exe. So I unpacked it and pointed to it and VIOLA!! Even taskbar icon and application popped up!

see here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=684795

I've since rebuilt my box and it's working fantastic...give this a try.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the really late reply guys, but "better late than never" isn't it? So, here goes...

@awergh Thanks. looking forward to your find. :thumbup

@ sy3264

Cool. Then why don't you also blog your experiences and share it with us. And i think you mean 1.2Ghz :P

@razormoon Ha ha ha... Wrong timing. The audio card on my PC2 now has gone kaput. Whatever I try, it ain't working. No sound output at all. I've now installed Fedora 9 on it. Still no sound. I think it is a hardware problem. I need a new sound card, I guess. I'm broke for the next couple of months. I shall get a new card and then try some stunts, some of which you mentioned. :yes:

Aw darn. I thought you had a solution to INSTALLING with only 256 ram. I'm looking for a solution for this as the target machine is an old p3 thinkpad with that much ram only. No viable option to swap in ram for now [and ever i guess].