Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPCREATE Project

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
844 replies to this topic

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@GreenMachine

What i mean by final stage is when everything is done isntalling and XP is restart for the last time. Done install. Reboot after hotfix's and so on are installed.

What I mean by normal SATA cd is not hotfix's, just sp1a and sata drivers.
And from what I can tell it works fine in VPC. But not doing a install without VPC.

I added the files you requested.

Tho I thought I was the only one with this problem. I haven't looked into it yet, been playing games all day long. :)

If you can find anything great, if not don't worry about it, I'm going to look into it more later on tonight and tomorrow. Time to get the brain working again. And maybe a few good Green ones to help pass the time. :rolleyes:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@Ghent:
OK, got the files, you can pull 'em. I'll probably look tomorrow. Thanks.

Johnny B. GooD

Johnny B. GooD
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 13-January 04

@Johnny B. GooD:
I guess easy is in the eyes of the beholder. I find the whole MUI thing far from simple, and have no plans to do anything with it at this time. Furthermore, most of the people here have no need for multilingual systems. That is really for a corporate scenario, and does not come without cost, in hardware, in software, and in administration. I would trust that the multinational organizatins that have a true need for this have have already found their own solution ...

In any event, if you care to add an MUI to your installation, the MS site has an example of doing so here, in the Unattended section: Installing MUIs

If you do give it a go, let us know how you get on.

@coucou:
You can delete the whole I386\LANG directory, unless you a using some far eastern language. Also the migrate and update directories can go if you are only doing clean installs. I don't remember what else, but it is covered in some of the older threads.

I post about it because I saw people that is having problems with local versions of win xp, I think is best to install it in english and then install the MUI and can get english updates easier and faster :)

I will try to put the MUI in the \$OEM$\$1\Install dir, it's the best way I think.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I tried to keep my code open for the next MDAC update by looking for a pattern in the previous updates. Oh, well, that pattern has been broken so I have to go devise a new mechanism ... in short, I won't add MDAC t the AutoUpdate list right away ...

I'm trying to work out itegrating SATA/RAID drivers, so if there is anyone out there who can test a physical installation, give a holler or PM me with your SATA/RAID info.

EDIT::
@Johnny B. GooD: No problem, and your input is welcome. Personally, I use English with no MUI, and make the others do the same. And I'm in a very non-English country ... That MUI isn't that simple, and it isn't free, either, that's all I meant.

ljones2

ljones2

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 23-September 03
When my apps are installing, I get an error installing kazaa lite codecs pack 220 full. It says it can't overwrite a file iac25_32.ax. When I install the file manually, I get the same error in the vmware session where I used my XPCREATE cd. Anyone know how to avoid this or get past it? My screenshot is attached.

Is there a way to edit the RunOnceEx windows that pops up, like make it 2 columns or anything like that? With all my apps, the list down past the bottom of my screen.

Attached Files

Dijital

Dijital

• 42 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
I have a feeling this question might have already been asked or made comments on but can someone show me or send me instructions on how to add serperate 3rd party apps to XPCREATE so I can make the ultimate CD/DVD for myself? Any help is appreciated thx.

Dijital

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
The simplest way is to create switchless installations, and add to the SVC-EXE or RO-EXE directories. The directory usage is explained on THIS page. You may also use your XPCREATION as the base CD, and use CMDLINES or GuiRunOnce in WINNT.SIF to add installations. The MSFN guide outlines these procedures.

MaaR

MaaR

Junior

• Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
hello there!
GM@ Thanks again about perfect programm and time saver! :)
I made win2000 disc with XC, added ie6sp1
- only difference to xp.
there was only one problem. I installed ie from cmdlines, then pached it.
after first restart there is "windows setup" - starting services, cleanup, etc. and after that nothing happened... windows did not hang, neither started.
I could run Task manager and then "new task" - explorer - and everything goes fine. Just litlle bit vierd...
any sugestions?

edit: there is one more issue - flash didn't install.

coucou

coucou

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
@MG

You can delete the whole I386\LANG directory, unless you a using some far eastern language. Also the migrate and update directories can go if you are only doing clean installs. I don't remember what else, but it is covered in some of the older threads

I like to know what are French + Hebrew files inside i386\LANG or where to find the info.

@sshareef59

Information on folders, drivers, components that can be removed safely can be found HERE. I used this method, although not all the items suggested were removed

Tnx for this utility very usefuul. Unfortunatelly, it's not solving my "languages problem".

Kind regards
coucou

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@GreenMachine

Looks like I found the problem with my CD. It seems that my copy of XP got messed up some how on my HD. Did it from a fresh install and it doesn't seem to have the problems right now as of before. But I'm still in the testing stages to see what is happening.

Trying to find out what caused the problem in the first place. From what I can tell mup.sys may have been the problem or a file that was loaded after that. But was unable to read or pause the BSOD error to find out what file was causing it.

I still have the CD's on hand that I made that had those errors I'll start to look more into it when I can find out how to change windows XP from restarting right after a BSOD happens during the boot-up.

Before I get a bunch of message on how to fix this, I know how to do it in windows. I'm unable to boot up at all. This includes Command prompt and any other ways of going about it. (Thanks MS for making an OS you can not boot into a command shell without loading all of your &#%^)

If you have found any other info GM pass it along to me and I'll keep you informed with how I'm doing with this bug I ran into. I'm 90% sure it was my fault and not the program. But I would like to find out what caused it. And find a work around.

@coucou

Reading up on how to install a certain language durning the install of XP. MS is giving me the run around right now, but sure I'll find something that will help you out.

Wish I still had a Subscription to MS technet but have better uses for $600/year.
100 DVD's full of all the MS infromation you want. Would be in heaven.

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02

@Ghent:
Please post your SATA files and WINNT.SIF and TXTSETUP.SIF and a link to your drivers (or the drivers themselves), and I can look into it.

Also, what do you mean final reboot? After counting down from 39 - 0, or after a boot into the GUI to install the last programs that could not be done during setup?

What is a "normal" SATA boot CD?

Unfortunatly, you are not the only one with these symptoms ... Does the CD work in VPC (without SATA drivers, of course) or does it BSOD there as well?

Let me know ...

@czaja74:
Perhaps you could post the files you modified to make you SATA work? WINNT.SIF, TXTSETUP.SIF, what ever your used? Thanks!

Just use links to download them. I have used this conf in last installation and worked like a dream. I have highlighted stuff in TXTSETUP.sif (*************************************************) so you can see what and where I have added. I use onboard Silicon Image controller (Asus A7n8x-D). If this of any help I didnt slipstream SP1a but instead i used CD that i have slipstreamed manually long ago. Also I didnt use ISO image created by XC but instead i created Boot CD and pointion to file in the boot folder.SATA driver
SIF FILES
Hope it helps.

jcm

jcm
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 14-January 04
I'm also able to test out physical RAID installs from CD, using the Intel SATA RAID on a Intel 865PERL motherboard. I'm willing to look at the NTFS directory and/or registries at failure points if you need feedback. I'd love to get this to work.

You can get the RAID "F6" Disk from Intel at:
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/64...tall%202600.exe

That should include the necessary SYS, CAT, INF, and OEM setup files.

Adding it to TXTSETUP.SIF for text mode is straightforward, but I've attached the file for you. It assumes you've compressed the SYS file into i386 (as IASTOR.SY_). I also edited DOSNET.INF, but I'm assuming that's not actually required from the other posts on the thread.

Doing this gets you past text mode, past all the GUI mode T-x configuration stage... then on the next boot you'd get the "Windows XP" splash. At that point it dies abruptly without any logs of what went wrong (AFAIK). It appears the driver is installed into "\Windows\System32\Driver Cache", so it could work if properly used.

Here's some of the things I've tried/noted (FYI):
- The install does not work on CD, but would work fine off a network or from a FAT C:\ drive (assuming you put $OEM$ under i386 in this case). You can also get it to work from a DOS Bootable CD if you format the HD as FAT32. I've seen all three these methods work, just not direct CD boot.
- After slipstreaming and using $OEM$ my Intel F6 disk won't even work correctly so there's no way to install RAID on an OEM bootable AFAIK. The disk will install the driver for textmode, but fail to copy it to disk for GUI mode. This is a hint that something is special about OEM.
- Adding the driver to DRIVER.CAB and pushing the security file into SVCPACK causes the T-x mode to complain about "empty security catalog". Editing LAYOUT.SIF to include the Intel SATA driver causes lots of sanity checks to abort the install even if I get the filesize and flags right.
- There's special meanings for the disk lines of the TXTSETUP.OEM file, and I think the $tagid$ part may be important. NTFS needs \, DOS needs ., "" works for many things, etc. It may be a matter of altering the label and path to make it go to the right volume&path.
- I'm told there is no way (short of WinPE) to get the RAID controller installed on an OEM XP CD. I, however, suspect that editing the right files could make it happen.

You'll note that everyone who gets this to work does it from a network or alternative boot method. I'd very much like it to work from standard XP boot, so I can partition as NTFS myself.

Attached Files

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Well I'm back, and GreenMachine is going to hate me :-)

I was at a friend's place yesterday, decided to test XPCREATE there to see if it was just my comp that sucked.

Unfortunately, it's not my comp.

It's me.

Again, one more failed XPCREATE :)

I think I'm the token "Nothing works for me" guy. :rolleyes:

Oh well... *wanders off to make one manually to see if THAT stuffs up too*
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I kind of thought it was you all along ... maybe you could get someone to punch the keys for you?

I'll get back to you all later today ... just a quick note to anyone who can help me test the SATA/RAID stuff: If you could first make an XPCREATE CD that works with your SATA/RAID drivers using F6 (Sorry, Wraith, this one's not for you ... ) so I can debug one thing at a time. I'll PM you later ...

(Hate nothing but hatred itself! You are forgiven, Wraith!)

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@GreenMachine

Found the problem. What's happening is after the reboot from XP installation Shell, Windows loads up and you select your user account and so on. At this sage Other hot fix's start to install, but XP wants to install drivers for parts of the hardware it didn't install in the first place. When the hotfix'a and updates are done they force the computer to restart. No command promt so I'm unable to stop it so far, when it restarts XP isn't done install those drivers it wants to and damages the files.

I've tried it 3 times and watch it very closely. And this is what is happening.

As well durning this process one of the updates is unable to fully install because of the temp files are getting cleared some how and are being lost. I assume this is XP doing this durning some of he drivers being install.

I've done this in MS VPC to see what is trully happening durning it all. If I do it without an VPC XP will not start at all but get the BSOD, when in VPC it still loads but after the login screen you get nothing at all. But XP is trying to reinstall vitual Kernel drivers that where damaged durning the main install.

Going to keep on looking into it. I have a full working copy and I'm compairing the two with all modifed files to see what could be causing XP to install with problems. From what I can see so far is when XPcreate was checking the cab's and making the updates it made a few changes to some things that shouldn't have been changed.

My working CD doesn't have any of the Updates or cab files changed or checked. Only the SATA and Hotfix's are install on it. My testing copy has everything enabled by XPcreate and that's the one that get's damaged each time. :)

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Edit XPcreate.ini and set the reboot time to at least 90 and experiment. The shell needs more time to load and as you pointed out, there are other things happening behind the scenes that need extra time too.

@Green:
This may explain some other people's problems. I found that the default time was way too short for me also, but I knew to fix it and go on.

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
I'll give it a try and tell you how it works out for me.

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Let us know, GreenMachine has a watercooled Pentium V (Alpha Test) overclocked to 7 Ghz and all his installs complete in less than 4 minutes. 15 seconds before the reboot actually slows him down!

shareef59

shareef59

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Joined 21-November 03

Let us know, GreenMachine has a watercooled Pentium V (Alpha Test) overclocked to 7 Ghz and all his installs complete in less than 4 minutes. 15 seconds before the reboot actually slows him down!

:jump: LOL :jump:

He's been rather quiet recently, wonder whats he up to?
Read the rules.

mdes

mdes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Joined 07-November 03
Pentium V? No, he has V beercooled and/or winecooled brains working with hyperthreading...
Windows XP Pro French + SP2 Many Thanks to GreenMachine XPCREATE
Michel Dessaintes (nick: mdes) FlashList for genealogy, CongésRFV for Pocket PC

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@MaaR:
I would hardly call XPCREATE a perfect program after reading about your 2000 installation that did not boot correctly ... In all truth, I have done VERY limited testing in WIN2K. I have tried to keep the program generic to handle both XP and 2K, but as I only have been testing XP, there are certainly still some errors ... I would be interested to know if you have the same problems without IE6. Do any hotfixes get slipstreamed? Does SVCPACK run OK? What DOES work? I am not surpised that flash does not install: that may very well be XP specific.

@coucou:
I really do not know enough about the language files. My job is making the Distribution bigger. jdeboeck is responsible for making them smaller.

@Ghent:
Looks like you are on the right track. You could simply set to "No Reboot", and see how that helps. I guess you don't have a Pentium V ...

@czaja74:
That is about the same way I put the SATA drivers in. Are you configured as RAID?

@jcm:
Thanks for the offer and the detailed description of what you've already endured! I sent you an email via the MSFN link. Let me know if you did not get it.

@techtype:
There you go, hacking my files again. Good thing I made an INI, or it would be the script that would get it! There is an option in the menu somewhere to set the timeout for reboot, and turn it off completly. If I could do 4 minute installs that beer bill could be cut dramatically! Thanks for the tips: you have a lot more experience using these CDs that I!

@shareef59 & mdes:
Just because I turn my back a while, you guys gotta pick on me, too?!

I've been off looking into the SATA drivers thing, as well as some of the stumbling blocks that people seem to be having. I have the SATA integration to the point where XPCREATE can create a CD that will install on my box with no F6 and no floppy. As that is the only hardware I can test, it is difficult to consider my results conclusive. I have tested on my SI3112 SATALink PCI card, with an existing NTFS partition on the SATA disk. I have not tested on a "clean" disk. I'm a little wary about it, because the final solution was so much more simple than some of the horror stories I have beeen reading, but it does work fine for me.

I have also tried to come up with a few set of parameters that may help some issues: repacking the CABS or not, running a GUI RunOnce installation and a few more slipstreaming options. This will help me in pinpointing conflicts and problems.

Hopefully I will be able to test a few more configurations this weekend, and when I have figured out the SATA stuff, I'll post the updated version.

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@GreenMachine

Yeah don't have a Penitum V as of yet, but when they come out this year, I'll be at my local store grabing one to give it a try. I hope they come out this year. Intel said they were, but they may push it another year. But wrong thread to be talking about them here.

Finished making that ISO. Going to give it a try in a bit, See what happens this time. Been busy with Longhorn(SHHH) :) . Got the copy off my friend that works for the goverment. He got the PDC version. Wanted me to give it a try. And have to take a look into W2003 this weekend. God I love government workers get all this free stuff to try out and pass it along to me to see how far I can push it. :rolleyes:

In regards to SATA I'm still looking into the code as well for the installation of it. That number system MS put into the txtsetup.sif. If it really doesn't mater to much about the code it will make it much simpler for you. Seeing if my friend in the government can get any info for me from MS. Going to give my friends copy of PE that he's not using a try as well and see if there is any info in there help files about it. But don't think it will.

If anyone on this thread knows about what code I'm talking about and knows all the info about it, please pass it along. Would like to fully understand it.

Looks like another long night. And I'm out of beer.

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
@GM
Yes I use SATA RAID 0.

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
I have created new Cd. When tried install I got quite few error. After installation I found that some of the menus were mising , no IE and few other things. I will try it agai. Last time I had no problems at all...

EDIT: Tried from a scratchbut no luck. Can't download hotfixes.

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
I found seource of the problems. When downloader downloads updates and it stuck after some period of time it continues with another download but it leaves behind unfinished piece of file. In later stage there are errors like it is not winn32 application or cant open or so. I have done FULLY UNNATENED SATA RAID installation and I can officially confirm that it works in 100%. I will post my .sif files later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN