Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPCREATE Project

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
844 replies to this topic

usil

usil
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
Hi there, my first post. Found out about this program yesterday and I loved the idea. Went home and tried it, and everything seemed to be running very smoothly until the burning stage. For some reason, it just didn't burn. After about 2 minutes, it just stopped and said that it was finished. Could it be a compatibility problem with my burner?
Its not such a big problem, as long as I can burn the final file/iso. Where can I find that file? Can I use Nero to burn it?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rwarren

rwarren
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04
OK I got it working :) Although I have not tested
the ISO file yet.

Now, my next question is how do I selectively
slipstream the updates?

I see Xcreate.Cab file is created. Is this for SATA drivers?

My other question is if I want to get rid of some files from the
original XP CD, should I do it before slipstreaming or after?
That's would XPCReate try to download the missing files?
I am guessing not.

Also, there are some new drivers on the Microsoft page for
my system, but I think XPCreate would not download them.
Am I correct? Would it be possible to add the driver updates
into XPCreate as well?

Thanks.

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@rwarren

The XPcreate.cab is for the SATA/RAID drivers, it holds the Information for the supported controllers.

For your second question, the best option is to copy your CD to a Folder on your HD, from there you can remove what folders you want to lose. Basically anything other then the I386. Just change to target path to the new folder on your HD. EX: x:\xpcd (X as in the drive you copied it to) You can change this in [B]CUSTOM CD SETTINGS - SET XO SOURCE PATH.

For your third question, I strongly recommend going to your manufactures for your Hardware's web site to get the newest drivers for them. Microsoft drivers are very basic and leave out a lot of features. If you need help with finding the correct web site for your manufacture your more then welcome to ask. I know a lot of them off by heart. And if you need to find out who is the manufacture of certain Hardware look in device manager and it will tell you in there, Most of the time.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
No problems about posting the errors ... that's what I put it up for before weeks of testing!

Yes, it seems CDSOURCE was hardcoded as the place to find the source. Please use that work-around until I update.

I will be back in 6-8 hours, please post any findings, and I'll check them all tonight.

Thanks, fellahs! Off to work ...

PS (Ghent, you're hired!)

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@usil

The ISO will be located in your XPCreate folder. The name will be XPISO.iso and yes you can use NERO to burn it. Just load it up with nero and there you go.

Not to many things are coming to mind about your burning problem. If it's a newer burner change the burning speed down to a lower setting instead of MAX. The CD-R you were trying to use may not support that high of a speed. Also try switch to ALT cdimage. It may not be the case but always worth a try anyways.

@rainiman
Sorry I missed you when you were IRC, saw your message tho. I'll take a look into that vga.sys problem you are having. I haven't heard anything about it since the good old days of win9x and dos.

@GreenMachine

Thanks. And I'll keep on letting you know what I find out.

usil

usil
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
Ghent, thanks for the quick answer :)
I looked for that iso file and did not find it :/
Guess things didn't go as smoothly as I thought. I'll have another look when I get home from work.

rainiman

rainiman
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
@GreenMachine, Ghent

One quick note about vga.sys corruption.

I am succesfully using xpcreate since the project started. The vga.sys error message (in the dos setup part) occured only after i updated xpcreate in january (1 jan maybe)... same hotfixes.

PS. I never used the autoupdate function. I will do it now with the latest version.
I'll keep you posted.

Anyway this is a great software !!! Just dont stop now.
Bye

infini

infini

• 48 posts
  • Joined 18-January 04
I have a windows xp cd with sp1 intergrated. If i use xpcreate, it will download and update to sp1a or it will recognise the sp1?

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Well I just made a new XPCREATE cd... I love this vga.sys error, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04
Hi, can you helpme out, I created a new CD last night anc placed my driver files into this path CDFILES\$OEM$\$1..

All my files did get copied onto the CD, but they were not put into the I386 folder, they were in the CD Root shown as $OEM$

I have also noticed that the setting OemPreinstall=No?? i thought this should have been Yes, and the OEM files placed into the I386 directory, in order for Windows Installer to reconise that OEM files are present????

Or does XPCreate have another way to install there files??

See copy below ..

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=No
Repartition=No
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
WaitForReboot="No"
TargetPath=\Windows

Cheers Nick

rainiman

rainiman
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
@ner
Had the same problem.

Setting OemPreinstall=yes solved the problem.

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04
@Rainiman,

so, did you just change the Setting "OemPreinstall" option to Yes?,

where is your $OEM$ Folder stored??? is it on the root cd or inside I386?

nick

rainiman

rainiman
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
@ner
I had my own winnt.sif (not the one generated by xpcreate).
You need to have OemPreinstall=Yes, windows setup will ignore the $oem$ folder otherwise.

The $oem$ folder needs to be in the root cd !!! not i386. If you are using xpcreate just place your files into the FilesCD/$oem$ folder. They will be merged in the final stage with the XP source

Raini

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
w00t w00t

another one for you to ponder :)

check the attachment :rolleyes:

It comes up just as the GUI portion of setup is starting...

And I have a feeling it's one of them nice Type I hotfixes.

I'm thinking I should just stay away from all kinds of computers in existence.

Attached Files

• Attached File  stop.png   3.65KB   54 downloads

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Sjef

Sjef

• 13 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04
When i use your tool and click on 'update hotfixes now', it will get the English hotfixes right?

Is there a way for me to get the Dutch updates?

Grtz, Sjef

ner

ner

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04
@Rainiman,

Cheers, Thanks for your help!

just a thought have you cracked the setup guide to install your driver auto?

nick

dtmunir

dtmunir

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Joined 17-July 03
ok i placed this question earlier but it might hv gotten overlooked....
can anyone guide me on how to use XPCREATE along with goshs reducing source method.
thanks a lot
danish

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@rainiman, Wraith

Can you both send me these two files txtsetup.sif and vga.sy_. Make sure you compress the two into a compressed file when you upload them. I'll compare the two files from my working copy of it.

AS well rainiman you said they started happen when you first started to use xpcreate. Are you still using the same cdroot on your HD from the first time you used it or have you delete your XPcreate folder and created and new and got a fresh copy of the XPCD from your CD?

Also to get the newest version of XPCreate don't use the auto update. Get it from the site and replace all files.
http://greenmachine....TE/download.htm

@GreenMachine

Tested out your version of my SATA driver config, XP see the drivers during load up fine but doesn't see the HD.
Believe the error to be here.
[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0005 = "fasttx2k"
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0004 = "fasttx2k"

This is the one I use and works great. I'll give it a try later on when I have the time to do another test.

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376 = "fasttx2k"

Been doing a lot of reading on MS about the way MS wants everyone to be adding there SATA/RAID controllers without press F6. When I get around to testing I'll let you know. So far from what I've read it's a lot easier and less headaches if MS explained it right. No need to edit the txtsetup.sif.

P.S I'm going to try my best to be on IRC as much as possible to answer any questions you might have as well. Even if they aren't directly related but need a bit of help. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@dtmunir

I haven't read Gosh guide for that. Read many other of his guides. If it is a guide to reducing what files you want to use on the CD, basic all you need to keep is your I386 folder, but if you want to take out more from that. I'll have to check out what Gosh has to say about it on his web site.

Simplest way to go about this is copy files from cd to HD. Setup XPcreate where the cd source is on HD. Remove everything you want gone in that cd source. Then run XPCreate to add hotfix's and so on. Don't do a burn or ISO just yet, but check to see if you wanted is gone. Once your happy with the size and with what you want to be gone is gone. Then make an ISO. Open up the ISO to check to see it's how you want it again. Remember what ever is in the cdfiles will be added to the ISO. Once that is all done burn the iso with XPCreate or your burning program.

Going to read the guide when I get a chance and tell you if I find anything that you may need as a guide. But XPCreate is very straight forward.

@usil

Missed your post. Make sure in XPcreate AUTO CREATE ISO is checked for YES.
Also in the first mean there is a option called "Create ISO Image from CDROOT" Give that a try and see if it makes one for you.

@infini

From what I've read about XPCreate and seen. As long as you have Update SP market for yes it will update to newest SP1a if you don't already have it slipstreamed or don't have the CD that has it built into it.

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@rainiman

Have you tried adding your own Video drivers as well? Also should have asked this before, but what Video Card are you using. Who makes it, frameware version, how much VRAM or DRAM on it and any other info I may have forgot to meation. As well anyone else having this problems please leave a message with the same info so I can check into it. Oh and MB info, EX: who makes it, BIOS Version, Model number or name. There are many sub version of a MB. EX: mine has 4 last time I check and then 4 more after that.
P4PE- OEM, Standard, Deluxe. ( Desponds on what components are on it.)
-P4PE-BP
-P4PE-X
-P4PE-X/SE
-P4PE-X/TE

And so on, they maybe based on that same designee in certain ways, But are very different so when telling me the MB information it has to be very precise about it.

Hopefully no more messages today, until I get replys about the information I need or I fully understand the other process of SATA/RAID installation durning text sextup part.

drscouse

drscouse

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04
I have checked out the site, and it says the current hotfixes are as at 20.10.2003

http://greenmachine....ATE/current.htm

Does this mean that I have to manually add any additional ones since that date, or does the prog download ALL of the available patches.

A wonderful utility..... many thanks

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@Ghent: Thanks for the help. Pretty soon I'll get you filling in the missing pieces of code! As for your drivers, I was afraid something like this would happen. As you probably know, and as information for those that don't, the string of characters that you posted were the hardware controllers ID on the PC. If XP setup finds hardware with that ID, it will use the driver assigned to it in TXTSETUP.SIF. It seems the FastTrack uses (at least) two sets of drivers, both using the same driver file name. I think I can get around this in XPCREATE by merging the hardware ID lists. This would imply that the user is responsible for including the correct xyz.sys file. I will do this, and let you know when I update the library. As you noted, these files are stored in XPCREATE.CAB. This file is updated with the Update via the Web option, so a full download is not necessary (as it was for the last update). I have looked at other driver slipstreaming methods, both MS and other, and am convinced that this is the "cleanest" of all. I update two plain text files, in one spot (DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF), and add one file to I386. However, if you find another way that works, be sure I will read attentively. Who knows, you may become my next victim! Again, your help in diagnosing the errors that you encounter, as well as the help you are giving the others, is much appreciated.

@dtmunir: Sorry ... can't help you on that one.

@ner: It's really not that complicated. Using any other guide or method you may find for unattended setups, just place your files in FILESCD\<directory name> as if it were the root directory of the CD you would be creating, and it all gets merged at the right time. The key is separating your modified files and XPCREATE's updated files. In this way, you can apply your set of files to the latest XPCREATE updated set.

@Sjef: Sorry, geen nederlans. If you want to collect the URLs for those needed, I would be willing to integrate them into the list.

@Wraith: ... I'm going to dig into my archives and send you some earlier versions ... just in case. Still, your tenacity is admired!

@rainiman: You've been with me this long, and never a complaint? Are you really using it?

@infini: As Ghent said, XPCREATE will understand that you have SP1, as it will see the flag file WIN51I?.SP1.

@usil: Once again, Ghent is on the money. Let us know if it doesn't turn up. Shalom.

@homiebrah: Pretty good, eh? The hotfix dialog boxes are not shown by default. This means there is a long period with no visible activity at T-13. You can change this with the SilentInstall switch. The reason that these are not shown by default, is that they display a cancel button. I don't know if you have kids ... but if there is a button, it WILL get pressed. You can also select Use RunOnceEx in SVCPACK (or something like that), and the familiar runonce display will show the progress. The current list of hot fixes, however, is larger than the screen.

@rwarren: Turn off AutoUpdate, and use Custom CD instead of OneStep. You can then remove the hotfixes you do not like from the corresponding directories. What ever you delete from the source XPCREATE will not try to replace. If you are removing the standard migrate/update and language directories, do it from your source, and it will save copy time. If you are doing something more exotic, it's up to you ... As mentioned above, the best bet is to get the latest signed drivers from the hardware manufacturer, and use the conventional $OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\ mechanism.

@acer147: It is a pleasant relief to have short happy posts like yours in the middle! Thanks!

A few points:

While XPCREATE does create a WINNT.SIF file, it is highly recommended that you use your own version. This option is included for those that are too uncomfortable with editing this file themselves.

Though the idea of a IRC thing is interesting, it just does not work for me. Not only do I almost never use messenger services, most questions require me to think ... and I'm not always that quick. I often read posted problems, and don't reply till I have some sort of answer. I've also noticed that messengering does cut into productivity time, and that is all to valuable at the moment. I am also relieved that there are a few of you out there that are starting to know XPCREATE better than I do. Even when I use it to install my own machines, the only additional software I install is that which can be directly copied, and requires no more than a reg import to be installed. So many of the integration questions I can only answer in theory. I also went from Server 2000 to Server 2003, so I have very little XP experience as such.

I appreciate all of your help and responses. I feel that a lot of the problems I see are because XPCREATE makes many assumptions as to file placement, file type, and file integrity that are not always valid. In short, not enough internal error control. With a known set of files, it WILL work. It's just that it seems sometimes that I am the only one who knows this set of files ... I do not blame the choice of programming language (scripting language), nor the design, but the fact that it was never intended to do more.

I have updated the web site somewhat. If you could please have a look and tell me what you think is missing, I will try to include it.

I said I would go back over the past posts and answer them. Anything that did not get answered above will be forgotten ... so if you have a question, please post it again. (Don't worry, Wraith, I still can't forget you ... )

I will post the CDSOURCE fix in a couple of hours.

Good Luck!

Sjef

Sjef

• 13 posts
  • Joined 20-January 04

@Sjef: Sorry, geen nederlans. If you want to collect the URLs for those needed, I would be willing to integrate them into the list.

Ok, I will collect the urls, could you supply me with a list of up to date hotfixes (your site is kinda out of date '20.10.2003').

Grtz, Sjef

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
The attached should get you going. Only a few changes since 20.10.2003 ...

(All gone!)

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
@GreenMachine

Always glad to help, It's great program and there will always be bugs. :rolleyes: But as long as people let you know the problem and possible work around it helps.

As of programing. Gee, LOL.. I haven't programmed in 8 years now. Though I could always get back into C++ and assembler. :) What coding tools are you using anyways. But if you need the extra help sometime down the road, I'm more the glad to brush up.

With the IRC, I don't expect you to be there to often or even there. It's very time consuming indeed. I just have a lot of free time on my hands and don't mind helping out with problems I know the answer to as well being able to find a work around.
Worked in tech support for 3 years with Cable,DSL compainy and with NOC. so learned how to work on my feet very fast, as well was a system admin for a local ISP in highschool and for my Highschools network as well. Gives an edge to understanding MS bug's. And it looks like it's not really XPcreate that is causing certain problem with people, but actually SP1a. Was a rush release because of the lawsuit with Sun Microsystems.

Win in regards to W2k3, from what I can it's not much different a few changes in the code to make it work faster and so on, but the main thing I've seen with it is they made it much easier to slipstream and add your own drivers during install. WinXP has a few ways of going about it, the way I'm looking into for XP is away that is much more simpler to do in W2K3.

With the SATA/RAID controller. You maybe right about it. But from what I've read from certain Manufactures the strings should be the same for every computer. It just depends on how the OS takes a look it really.

Though I found one very big flaw with the way we are currently using to install SATA/RAID drivers. They do not work if your are doing it from the HD or network installation with no CD. The RAID driver doesn't get copied over during this process. So if you using a CD to install your fine, but as soon as you want to use another method of install your in hot water. But the MS way allows you to did either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users