Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPCREATE Project

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
844 replies to this topic

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03

what do you think ?

My first thought is that you don't have the CD in the Z drive ... You should get the same error from the All In One option as well.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

un4given1

un4given1

Elaborate Dreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
The original Windows XP CDs have a file on them called WIN51IP and WIN51IC. If you are using a non original disk for your source then it's probably missing those files. You will need to put them back into the source.
What if everything around you, isn't quite as it seems...
What if all the world you used to know, is an elaborate dream...
And if you look at your reflection, Is that all you want to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself... find yourself afraid to see?

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Joined 12-December 03
its ok guys i got it to start working now . strange but i dunno what the problem was, well im starting my first test now,, ill post back later on the result and with my other questions ..

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

Synthesis

Synthesis
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 27-December 03
The problem I am having with XPCREATE is this. None of the Updates show up in QFECHECK, and Windows Update says I need to download all of the updates and critical updates and install them. Even though I downloaded ALL of them per GreenMachines Page and put them in the correct folders...

Any clues?

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
OK I'm back again. When I install it I install it on main system. I dont use anything like Virtual PC / VMWare emulator. I will give it another 2 tries.

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
Also just have noticed that using X option it comes with this error :
-- 19:22:16 --> Try to find Source CD.
-- 19:22:16 --> Look for CD-ROM Drives.
Error: Cannot Verify XP Source. Tried Home and Pro.
Value: \
Press any key to continue . . .
I used AiO and it didnt have this error.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I'm back, too. I'll look into these problems after lunch. Until then, using the All In One Option should be fine: you will not download any hotfix/service pack/update that was downloaded on the first run. VPC/VMWare is definitly worth considering. VPC 45 day trial is available HERE for download till the end of the month. At least get yourself a copy for later, and note the serial number from the site...

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@Synthesis: Sorry, I did not see you snuck in a post between my other "Victims". I think your problem must be something simple. If both QFECHECK and Windows Update report the updates as missing, I wouls suspect that they have not been treated at all. First question: does the resulting CD (or in the directory CDROOT) have a directory I386\SVCPACK? If so, is there a mixture of .EXE and .CAT files inside? If so, do you find a file in I386 named SVCPACK.IN_? If so, copy, rename to SVCPACK.CAB, double click on it, and extract the file SVCPACK.INF. In SVCPACK.INF (You can post it here ... ) do you find the names of all the .EXE and .CAT files that are in I386\SVCPACK?

Please let me know these answers, so I can look further. Also, NETHFCHK is much more complete than QFECHECK.

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
I accidentaly deleted whole folder of XPCREATE and lost all updates. I'm running out of my download allowance for this period (till 7th) so I will have to ask my friend to get them for me. I have looked for urls that I could give my friend for download but I couldnt find it. Can you let me know where it is or maybe there is a way to download them and put in folders automatically using your application. I would get it burned on CD.

EDIT: I found all on the web. Lazy me :)
I will be back when get those and do some ghosting on PC so wont have reinstall whole lot again.

Have a very happy New Year...

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Bummer ... You can download THIS file. It is a little cyptic, but it has all the URLs, as well as the files in which to put them. If you cannot make heads or tails of it, let me know. Basically, it is the URL, then a space, then the directory and filename used by XPCREATE to store the file. This is the page used by XPCREATE to download the updates. A copy is attached. Having it on CD is not a bad idea: you could get him to download the SP1A as well. (The URL is in the attached file, but not the download version.) Good luck, and thanks for your persistence ...

Just saw your edit ... I hope we get this BEFORE the New Year! Ghosting is a very good idea ...

File removed for bandwidth considerations ...

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
Lucky me. I have found them on the differend drive. I had to backup them but kill me can't rem when (5am? LoL). OK I mentioned it before that it didnt take my SATA drivers on the beginning . What you would suggest to try. Is it repackaging messed up or slipstreaming. Let me know ASAP. I will give it 2-3 runs.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Well, if you have the time (5 O'clock? It's still early!) I would like to first do a very simple install, just so we know we had something that worked.

1. Download the attached (work in progress) XPCREATE.CMD file, as well as the XPCREATE.ZIP distrubution. Extract the zip to an empty directory, and overwrite XPCREATE.CMD with the attachment.

2. Run the updated XPCREATE.CMD, and select the M option, then the W option (to add you serial number). Then select the N option (don't forget to put the CD in the drive). This should create a new ISO from the original CD without any source modification, and the addition of WINNT.SIF. This option should create the ISO in under 10 minutes.

3. Test without further modification. you will need to do the F6 thing if your main disk is on RAID. Not that familiar with the different RAID/SATA scenarios: Is it on the MD, can it be set as a standard IDE (for this test)? In any event, the objective is to assure that we can get something going, and this should be quick.

As you said ASAP, I'll post this, and then work on the 2nd setup. I know this may seem like a waste of time, as the output is simple, and not complete as we'd like, but who knows: there may be something as silly as a hardware conflict that will never work. Let me know what you think, and if you still have a Internet connection while running your setup.

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
Unfortunately I cant set it to IDE. Reason being is thad SATA uses different cabling and diferent controllers. Also I would drop the hardware conflict. I have created CD manually that contained SATA drivers and I didnt even had to press F6. However the way I handled Hotties (cool name for hotfixes) was via run RunOnceEx.cmd placed on the HDD for easier modification. Ok so now Ghost and will try your options.
Nah I dont have a virtual PC so what I do is Ghost whole system and later after if installation fails I will restore whole lot. On my machine it takes about 15 min to restore whole lot.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Hotties: I like that! VPC is still good to have on hand ... but it is kind of useless in this situation: where the problem is, apparently, hardware specific. OK, the first step will insure that XPCREATE is not doing something basically wrong. The following steps will help us see where the conflict is.

Steps two and five could concievably be skipped. The difference in "Cabs" and "No Cabs" options should not effect the running or installation of XP, but it does insure file integrity of the CD (probably of minor importance in a home user environment), and NO CABS is substancially faster.

Second Step:

Using the same directory and set of files from the first step, and your original XP CD WITH SP1 already slipstreamed (for time saving ... ) add the hotfixes into the HFTYPEn directories. You can reffer to THIS page to see what goes where. From XPCREATE, select the P option to edit the INI file, and change "SLIPFLAG=11" to "SLIPFLAG=00". Save the file, and select the N option from XPCREATE. This will create a CD where the service pack has been slipstreamed, and the hotfixes applied (NOT slipstreamed).

Third step:

Same as Second Step, only change "SLIPFLAG=00" to "SLIPFLAG=11" before selecting the N option. This will create a CD where the service pack has been slipstreamed, and the hotfixes slipstreamed (NOT applied).

Fourth Step:

Add your RAID drivers to the CDROOT\$OEM$ directory AND the FILESCD\$OEM$ directory, and update your WINNT.SIF file with the DriversPath info in both the FILESXP and CDROOT\I386 directories, and select the I option. This will quickly create an ISO image from the previously prepared CDROOT with the drivers ready to go.

Fifth Step:

Create a last CD with the F option. This will take longer, and will update and merge the DRIVER.CAB files, where the XP drivers are stored.

If the error happens after the first step, I'm afraid it is beyond my ability to debug remotely. The CD created here is about as basic as it can be. If the error happens after the second step, it will still be difficult ... If the error happens after the third step, then it is one of the hotfixes that is causing the problem. If the error happens after the fourth step, it is your RAID drivers slipstreaming that is causing the problem. If it happens after the fifth step, it is my handling of the DRIVER/SPn .CAB files.

A question: you may have said earlier ... how to you integrate the RAID drivers? Do you just add the line to WINNT.SIF, and the files, or do you edit TXTSETUP.SIF? Do you do anything "fancy"?

I'm off for about three hours. Please post any findings of interest, and good luck. I owe you a few blank CDs ...

Synthesis

Synthesis
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 27-December 03
K. Found the issue. For some reason, the SVCPACK.INF does not have anything of the sort in it.

Followed your directions.
Extracted SVCPACK.INF from the cab after renaming SVCPACK.IN_...
Extracted. This is what it contains.

[Version]Signature="$Windows NT$"

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="i386\svcpack"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
dx.cat
drm.cat
wmp.cat
wmdm.cat
wmfsdk.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]

Also in i386 was another SVCPACK.INF (Probably due to Slipstreaming WMP9 and DX9)

MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

KB826939.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
update.exe -q -n

Notice the reference to Update in the one located in i386?
I relocated the files inside of it to SVCPACK and deleted the folder named Update.
Now, my understanding is the INF should actually NOT be directly in the i386 folder, but should be SVCPACK.IN_ for Windows to properly see it. So I copied from

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]KB826939.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
update.exe -q -n

and moved it into the one I extracted. That updates that one. Now I just need to figure out why the compressed one was not updated with the necessary locations to the Hotfixes.

I am always willing to manually edit the file, and then add it back to the ISO.
And yes, I use Virtual PC. Absolutely LOVE it. Saves time and hassle. Error pops up during Install, and I can shut down the VPC and find out what caused it.

Please lemme know.

PS Oh yeah. the SVCPACK folder is there, and has a BUNCH of files in it. Both CAT and EXE

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
I have started from last CD and obv failed. Now my friend brought me VP. Mte it is really great. No waste time no worrie. Installing 3rd option and browsing the net. Works Great. I will check back when finish installation.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@Synthesis:
Very strange ... The first SVCPACK.INF is from the slipstream of WMP and DirectX. I'm curious as to how you slipstreamed this, and who/what created this file. Are the .CAT files listed in the SVCPACK directory?

The second SVCPACK.INF is from a slipstream of the rollup.

XPCREATE's SVCPACK.INF is no where in sight ... You should see the real SVCPACK.INF file in the NEWFILES directory where you ran XPCREATE.

You are apparently doing, or have done, all three of these manipulations. Unless you have a special need to slipstream DX and WMP, you only need XPCREATE, which will install (without slipstreaming) these items, as well as slipstream the rollup (which you must have done by hand ... ).

In short, run XPCREATE with an original XP CD in the CD drive, and the desired files in the corresponding directories (hotfixes, updates and service packs), and you should not see any of these problems.

How did you slipstream WMP and DX?

EDIT:: You should not have both SVCPACK.INF and SVCPACK.IN_. Only one will be used, but I can never remember which one... XPCREATE replaces the compressed version with a new, compressed version.

@czaja74: I'll be on hold, waiting for your report ...

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
ok I'm back. Missed me? First. Thank you for guide you wrote for me. This time I used a VP and installed 3rd CD. All went ok no problems at all. I already have tried 5th option and failed in the same way on the start. I'm not sure but there might be something with TXTSETUP.SIF. When repack is being done something might write some stuff in there and this is why it fails. But it is just my guess. I will try the option with my drivers and rest of stuff.
As about my way to do SATA/RAID drivers (same will apply for PATA RAID) please look at the link I have provided earlier. It will not be really hard to implement it. There are only few controllers. Silicon Image, High Point, Promise and this will be it. All you might need is IF or Switch statement and assotiate actions. Basically have a menu to install RAID drovers and submenus for different controllers. All will be needed is to copy driver files (that easy part) and add few lines in the paticular locations in the TXTSETUP.SIF and put the path to the winnt.sif file. Also put .sys file in the 386 folder. I'm not sure how would you do the part with adding the lines in the TXTSETUP.SIF as they need to be under specified locations [...........]. But this for a future.

PS I have noticed the dos window flashing after last planned reboot saying it cant...... but it was really flash and I didnt read it or maybe read wrong. Will it be in the system logs?

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
OK I have checked logs and gere it is :
Applications :
- The performance Counter namestring value in the registryis incoretlly formated. The Bgus string is 2272 the bogus index value is second and third DWERD in DATA section.
-Unloading the performance counter strings for serviceWmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. THe error code is the first DWORD in Data section
Some errors in the System logs but these not related.

Synthesis

Synthesis
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 27-December 03
This is approximately the 3rd time I have used XPCreate and it has not worked. BUT, I suspect I may know why. I created an Unattended CD using AaronXPs Method, and have been using that as the source.
I know what went wrong now.

XPCreate did not create the SVCPACK.INF in the i386 folder, nor the compressed version of it. I suspect that may be because of the Unattended source.

BUT, I did find the new SVCPACK.INF located in Newfiles.

As for slipstreaming DX9 and WMP, I only did that after the 2nd try with XPCreate. I installed the OS in VPC, and it did not register DX as 9 or WMP as 9, but as the 8.1 and 8 respectively. This was due to the SVCPACK.INF not being created. I did not notice this until just a moment ago. That was why I slipstreamed DX9 and WMP9. This was done using the method defined here http://www.MSFN.org/...rectX 9,and,WMP

And I suspect it was the batch files they created that caused it.

I have moved the new SVCPACK.INF from the Newfiles directory into the i386 directory, and am about to install in VPC...

The other thing is, after running XPCreate, I now have a folder named Update in my i386 (NOT on the Unattended Source CD) and the SVCPACK.INF that is in i386 looks like this

MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

KB826939.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
update.exe -q -n

Now sure where this is coming from, but again, it is NOT on the source CD and it is NOT in the CDRoot folder when I read from the source CD (I deleted the files located in CDRoot before pulling from the source again)

As I said, once I get the SVCPACK.INF from the Newfiles into the i386, and test it I will let you know how it goes.
As far as I am concerned, if it works and functions, I will be a happy man and will refine it from there...

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
also I have checked Win update and there are still updates avaiable for it
KB828035
KB825119
KB824105
KB823182
KB824141
KB824166
KB819696
And few updates from recomended ones. Does it mean that sometihng wasn't slipstreamed? Or maybe these werent included.

stinkywea

stinkywea

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 28-October 03
GreenMachine...just wanted to let you know that I tried your xpcreate last night, it took a couple of times but I finally got everything the way I wanted, thanks for the great tool, works a lot better than autopatcher that I was attempting to use, not all those additional add-ons to worry about, just the patches that you need...good job!!!!! :)

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@czaja74:
I looked over the link in the begining, and yes, I think it will be included ... after I get these bugs worked out. I wanted to look over the site again, and it is "down" at the moment. I hope it comes back: that was a good article.

The flashing window is not a problem. It cleans up a few files, and some are not there. It will not be in the logs, and is not a worry.

There may be something with TXTSETUP.SIF. I change it when you don't select the "No Cabs" option. I cannot get to that article, but do you edit TXTSETUP.SIF before you run XPCREATE? It would be best to edit after XPCREATE, in the CDROOT\I386 directory. What else do you edit: WINNT.SIF, DOSNET.INF?

When you say VP, you mean Virtual PC, right? I know it was my suggestion ... but to test the RAID controller we will need to go "live"

... that was in response to your post about three posts back ... I'm checking out the others now.

Just saw your post, stinkywea. Thanks for the boost! (Let it be known that stinkywea was not paid for his comments ... ) Out of curiousity, did you use the All In One, super dooper, AutoUpdate option?

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@Synthesis:
That update directory, and SVCPACK.INF (notice it is not SVCPACK.IN_) are most certainly not XPCREATE's doing ... I'm copying it from somewhere. If it is not on the CD, did you previously use the X option to copy the source to HDD? You really need to start with a "virgin" XP CD. Do a search on your HDD for SVCPACK.INF, and you find the guilty party. It will either be in the CDSOURCE directory, or the directory indicated in XPCREATE.INI, under CDSOURCE=.

The DX9 and WMP9 slipstream by jdeboeck is indeed a good example. I have not had time to test and integrate it into XPCREATE yet, and it may introduce some conflicts at the moment. If XPCREATE works properly, both DX and WMP will be up to date after setup, just not slipstreamed into the source.

Let me know how it goes in a "clean" environment.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@czaja74: I'm looking into the Windows Update thing, but that is too many: I have 0 on my installations ... Could you zip all the files (except the *.exe and *.ocx) in the NEWFILES directory, and email them to me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users