Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPCREATE Project

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
844 replies to this topic

MtK

MtK

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
@X, done already, didn't worked...
Posted Image
"Know Your Limits And Ignore Them..."

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
**** very wierd i don't know
did u disable any services? do u have virus do u have stuff like that??
its out of my boundaries :rolleyes:
install vpc :)

going very offtopic sorry....

shareef59

shareef59

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

http://download.micr...2/msxml3usa.msi

http://download.micr...1629c/msxml.msi

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

I am presuming the "KB832414_MSXML3.0_x86.exe" goes into the SVC-HF2, and the other "msxml3usa.msi" & "msxml.msi" goes into SVC-X2M.
And thanks for links, appreciate it!

@MtK
This is not gonna help your issue, but have you considered trying out the MS Virtual PC 2004 Trial version to see if that works out for you?
Read the rules.

Spheris

Spheris

• PipPip
  • 284 posts
You assume type II, but it uses dahotfix - the file component itself
can and should work fine from the same dir as mdc. I'll check it with someone later in the day.

The script addressing mdac is user modifiable to address the name discrepancy with the other mdac component (xml is a part of the mdac groups subset responsibilities and is addressed as a plugin to the architectural planning like obdc etc.

Spheris

Spheris

• PipPip
  • 284 posts
Green,

additional testing down at the lab, the winnt.sif netoptional components should contain no references to ip6 or p2p (as I'm sure people will try them) as they load later in the process when the setup processes the netoc components which do not apply in the case of runtime setup (only tcp is supported in guisetup for sysprep - this is by design. The entries in [components] is enough to load and secure them to the system, but do not mistake them for sysprep capable, they do NOT work that way.

A little background on the erratic behaviour of the netpack in its hotfix form is that it is conditional to the fusion/sfc components and during gui setup creates a path contention with two netoc infs loaded with disparate entries, even with the switches set, there is no way to force them to load concurrent or seqentially during gui setup as the infs are in process to write the hives which are already in transitive state.

Mann

Mann

Junior

• Pip
  • 95 posts
where do i place KB817778 with the latest XPCREATE. :) :rolleyes:

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
aa hi do u read the previous posts b4 u post something new? :rolleyes:
actually my bad..
its name has been never mentioned although the on going discussion is about it :)
u cannot process that hotfix yet.. GM & Spheris are working on it.
Be patient

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
@ green: Thanks for the advice and help.
@ green: So there won't be the update function anymore??

If you compare autopatcher from "<<spam>>.net" and xpcreate, which one is more complete (forget about their tweaks, just concider updates)?

Regards shortie
HP XW8600, 2*3.06 XEON, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850, Win7 Ultimate

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
@shareef59: The MSXML updating will (most likely ... ) be included in the next release. Thil then, I don't have a mechanism for the .exe hotfix. The MSIs should work just as the other MSIs (not yet tested ... )

@XtremeMaC: As above, I will put back the "Search for XP CD" code back in an upcoming release. It is not acceptable that users must edit my .CMD file, but that's why there are very few links to this version: experienced testers only.

@shortie: Hmmm ... Your post looks different than when I started this Novel ... Of course there will be an AutoUpdate function, at some point. I will make it a completly seperate module at first, and then possibly integrate it. As for autopatcher, I looked at that software briefly when it came out, and that was a while ago. They are really not comparable, but here are a few differences ...

Size: XPCREATE will fit 4 times on a floppy. autopatcher is over 100 Mb.
Choice: YOU pick what updates to install.
Security: I've agreed to let MS do the File Hosting, Signing, etc. The only update XPCREATE uses that is NOT downloaded from the MS web site, is DX9 OPK, which is in almost as good hands: XtremeMaC's. Anyone who is paid to maintain a park of PCs, or a single PC should be VERY careful where they get files to install. Perhaps the signatures are intact, and all files are MS signed, I do not know, but I do know that I would not check each one.
Software Target: XPCREATE is only concerned with getting the system installed in an up to date state, and then is done. Autopatcher is only concerned with installed systems, and does not effect the actual XP installation.
User Target: Though we are all "hobbiests", XPCREATE is intended for the System Administrator. It is a no nonsense, ugly, slow, but effective solution. No bells and whistles, no "outsmarting" the developers themselves, just putting the pieces together by the books.

Please don't take that as a bad critique of autopatcher: I am really not familiar with it, and as long as it is not malicious, and is not devised as a way for those who are blacklisted from Windows Update to get thier fixes, great. Choice for everyone, and as a developer, I respect everyone's attempts of software creation.

As for now, I'm working on the Advanced Network Package and MSXML updates, and that should cover the integration, bar any surprises, for now. I will release a version with those final mods, go through another round of testing, and call it a milestone.

To be continued ...

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
@green: Thanks for your detailed information. The reason why I asked, was that autopatcher looks a little more complete when it comes to being up-to-date (once again I didn't compare their tweaks section). I personally don't care about a non gui thing like xpcreate, especially if it is easily understood. I know the problem of signed updates, etc. I works as a systems engineer, and I was just comparing everything.

In one point you are wrong: you can use autopatcher within an unattended.

Never mind your piece of software is better in the end =>> at least this is my opinion!!!!

Keep on goin' and excuse my bad english!!

shortie

P.s.: I tried the new xpcreate, it works with no probs on my SATA machine. Tomorrow I will put it on an installation-server in my company and push onto 100 maschines (most of them are HP 530SFF or Compaq Evo W6000 and 8000!! I'll keep you informed.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
@shortie: It works on unattended? I'll have to look again ...

100 PCs? Cool. Unfortunatly, I'll only be here briefly in the early afternoon, but if you have any questions, I will check in at least once. please do tell how it goes.

(du kannst mir auch ein PM auf Deutsch schicken, wenn es noetig ist ... )

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
@green: Das werde ich machen!!! :-)

Ok I burned my xpiso.iso and at a point were it says 13 minutes to go a message pops up with a switch explaination of unattended things. How can I figure out what happens at that point??

On that page which strangely is concidered spam (<<spam>>.NET) you can download something like slipxp, it includes a batch file to create an unattended (see attachement)

Regards shortie :)

Attached Files

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
Attach your log file please ...

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
its spam cause it leades to N.E.O.W.I.N.
the two sites feud. Try typing MSFN.org over there in that forum. :)

The slipxp program...
it just creates a winnt.sif file for you. I would personally like to make it myself...but thats just me..

AutoPatchXP takes up more space. Those it can be automated, it takes longer. It also doens't replace the source files on disk incase you get a WFP error.

It also slipstreams SP1a for you, thats good. XPCreate does the same thing.

If you read up here, You're CD will be more powerfull then anything I've seen cooked up over on that other site
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

shareef59

shareef59

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

@shareef59: The MSXML updating will (most likely ... ) be included in the next release. Thil then, I don't have a mechanism for the .exe hotfix. The MSIs should work just as the other MSIs (not yet tested ... )

Take your time Green, I figure, "slowly but surely" will be the XPC moto!!! No complains here on that score!!
Tested the MSI's and they went through just fine, which Spheris, I believe confirmed previously.
:)
Read the rules.

zbeta

zbeta

c:\>debug M$

• Pip
  • 79 posts
Great work, and please go on that way! I am looking forward to your next release and updates!
Google is your friend, you just have to ask!

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
@ green: I would like to mail you my logs, but the zip-file exceeds the limit.

Regards shortie

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
Hmmm. The XPCREATE.LOG file should weigh in at about 100 Kb. Are we talking about the same logs? Let us know how your roll out goes. I'll be back tonight.

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
@green:

Hi again, attached you find the log.

The Roll-Out is postponed until we found the Problem.

Talk to you tonight.

shortie

Attached Files

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
Let me guess ... your error message looks something like this ...Posted Image

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
@ green : yes!
later there is another message poping up, but that one is related to the pack which can't be updated automatically.

shortie

jxn

jxn
  • 7 posts
Hi GM, nifty tool you made there :)
I just have a question, I read through a lot of pages on this thread and couldn't find an answer so here it goes (I hope I was careful enough):
is it possible to slipstream the hotfix rollup into an iso made by XPCREATE, or will that mess with the modified files? and also, could I use the DX9 and WM9 slipstream packages as well?

thanks for your wisdom :rolleyes:

jxn

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
@shortie: That is the Advanced Network Pack (817778) ... again ... we'll get it right this week. There is an MSI provided by Spheris in the Guniea Pigs Thread, but I believe it is language specific. You may be using MUI, and be OK. I PMed you ...

@jxn: I consider the Security Rollup nothing more than a large type 1 hotfix, and install it accordingly. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing (in which case you probably would not have asked ... ) I would recommend NOT touching XP system files after XPCREATE does it thing (or before, for that matter ... ). It will take care of the distribution files: you take care of the applications. Also, make sure you are running the "test" version, linked to by me a few posts back ...

shortie

shortie

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
@green: once again me

please see the attached txt file which shows the directory structure and the files in it

Thanx shortie

Attached Files

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
@Green

I put msxml3usa.msi, msxml.msi, and netpack.msi into svc-x2m, per my reading of Spheris's instructions. But, I wanted to confirm these with you?? The other xml patch: KB832414_MSXML3.0_x86.exe --- I'm also waiting to hear from you about. Is there a place to drop that one without causing a reboot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN