Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPCREATE Project

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
844 replies to this topic

shareef59

shareef59

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Where would i put something that I already repacked like MSJAVA.EXE? would it go into SVC-EXE?

As previously mentioned in this thread and I quote Senior Green, "You could put your repacks in SVC-PRE to run at the begining of SVCPACK, or in SVC-EXE to run at the end."....
SVC-EXE worked great for me, for the MSJAVA.EXE! :)

@GM
Like the few updated pages at the XPC Homepage! As a matter of interest, will the "current hotfix's" be downloadable directly from the page, like before? :rolleyes:
Read the rules.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
well the new one doesn't dl anything unless u force it to :rolleyes:
just download the italian versions off ms and put them into corresponding folders. get the new xpc. and post your troubles under xpcreate thread :)

Spheris

Spheris

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Can this be implemented with XPC:
MSTest's DX9 integration

or it is done this way?

Out of bounds and not supported in any way by this release of create. Use at you own exclusive risk to eula and end results

rainiman

rainiman
  • 7 posts
@greenmachine:

Thought to bug you one more time. I've tried the new xpcreate version (newxpc).
IT WORKS GREAT !!!. No more stupid vga.sys corruption. I used the same files like the one in the first xpcreate.

Conclusion: Xpcreate has a bug with RU1 (?). NEWXPC has not. :)

Please continue with NEWXPC ....

--
Raini

PS I believe this topic should get sticky...

MtK

MtK

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
Hi,
about MSTest's DX9 & WMP9, should I do this before or after XPC?
notice: XPC slipstreams SP1 as well
Posted Image
"Know Your Limits And Ignore Them..."

MtK

MtK

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
Is this OK?

Command Line shows this:
-- 18:49:34 --> Recreating TXTSETUP.INF.
The system cannot find the file specified.
File Not Found
But, Log file shows this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- 18:49:34 -- Recreating TXTSETUP.INF. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        1 file(s) copied.

Posted Image

BaTLeZone

BaTLeZone

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Is this OK?

Command Line shows this:

-- 18:49:34 --> Recreating TXTSETUP.INF.
The system cannot find the file specified.
File Not Found
But, Log file shows this:
-- 18:49:34 -- Recreating TXTSETUP.INF. 
        1 file(s) copied.

i got this one all the time if i am correct the line just above it should be the SATA part to fix it i just eliminated the SATA (i did not need it anyway) and all was well. i got this error in the old and the new with the same result that u got.

BaTLeZone

BaTLeZone

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Hi,

In BaTLeZone's DIRDESCRIPTION.txt he added this line:

SVC-WMS........ THIS IS FOR MS MESSENGER 6.1
is this possible to replace windows messebger with MSN messenger?
(with XPCREATE)

if so, does setting:
[Components]
msmsgs=off
affect this?

i have tryed it there and a few other places in the new one no go.
put the repack ver of it in SVC-EXE should work there.

thks shareef59

could i put the repack of KB817778.EXE there too???
so in therory i could put ALL of the repacks there and XPC would not have to keep doing it right??

MtK

MtK

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
I had two lines:
1) for the SATA
2) for the TXTSETUP.INF
Posted Image

BaTLeZone

BaTLeZone

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

I had two lines:
1) for the SATA
2) for the TXTSETUP.INF

yup samething i had if u don't need the SATA u can do what i did was rename XPCREATE.CAB to 1XPCREATE.CAB (what i did) and the error went away.

Keun

Keun
  • 3 posts
Greenmachine , first of all great program

but as i run it it gets stuck on downloading the nesesary file's for slipstreaming the cd , as i understand the file's are on your homepage maybe there are some missing or so ?

now anyways it downloads till windowsmedia-kb828026-x86-enu.exe and then it hangs maybe its me and if it is me
could you please tell me how to solve this problem

thanks in advance

MtK

MtK

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
Hi,
will the "DOSNET.INF" in the xpcreate folder, overwrite my existing "DOSNET.INF" in the i386 folder?
Posted Image

benthos

benthos

• 25 posts

now anyways it downloads till windowsmedia-kb828026-x86-enu.exe and then it hangs maybe its me and if it is me
could you please tell me how to solve this problem

The file should read windowsmedia-q828026-x86-enu.exe
You can either downloaded yourself (Q828026)
or maybe try modifying your XPCREATE.CRI (mind you if you have auto-update on it will get the one from the website anyways)

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
If you put DOSNET.INF in FILESCD\I386 it WILL overwrite XPCREATE's DOSNET.INF at build time. Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing ... this is not a good thing. XPCREATE modifies DOSNET.INF every build to include lists of new files, inform the system of SVCPACK files, point setup to the "correct" versions of programs. In fact, XPCREATE does not actually edit this file, to avoid unnecessary "tampering", but adds entries to the end ot the file.

Furthermore, one of the main goals of XPCREATE is to provide the user with a Windows Distribution of equal quality to the Original Microsoft Distribution CDs. In order to achieve this, any file modification is done within the strict guidelines laid out by MS in various documents. The benifits of this approach are twofold: Firstly, the user will not be violating the terms of any MS EULA agreement, and preserves all the user rights, such as user support. Secondly, the modifications made have been tested numerious times, and have been deemed "safe", or even recommended.

Windows is a working can of worms. I noticed just yesterday dialog boxes in Windows NT 3.51 that have not changed in 10 years. Many people are "surprised" when Windows does not behave as expected. I'm amazed that it even boots up, let alone works as predicted a majority of the time. Yet I still consider it to be a delicate balance, and pulling files or hexing executables here and there opens the door to potential disaster just a little further.

Because of all these factors, and my own desire to reduce debugging and help desk work, I ask that you first create your CD "by the books", where diagnostics can be performed in a controlled environment, before applying the less orthodox Distribution manipulation methods discussed elsewhere in these and other forums. I will gladly help and assist in that stage of your creations. But please don't request help with these methods that I neither know, nor am interested in implementing.

A last "Word to the Wise" ... I understand and even encourage the desire to find out how to make Windows behave as you like. Looking around at how it works is certainly an enlightening experience. I personally have no problem with the idea of hexing a file so that I can have a prettier desktop, and I do just that. Privatly. In a professional environment, however, I see no reason what so ever to jepordize either my current situation or my reputation so that the guy down the hall can have his PC look like his X-Box. Are these "hacks" really worth it on machines that you will probably never use yourselves?

Concerning Autoupdate: I have not looked at that for weeks. I suspect that the patch in the list has been replaced with another, and has been removed. The downloader is not hanging ... it is simply waiting for the file to be put back. Unfortuanatly, I will not be modifying that until (possible) implementation in a new release. If you download the file yourself, and place it in the proper directory, XPCREATE will not attempt to download it a second time.

Concerning TXTSETUP / SATA errors ... I thought I had that licked. I'll look again, but it could be that your version is not "up to date".

@raini: I almost forgot you, or I would have bugged YOU to run a few tests. Always good to hear from you, and good to know it's back on track. Which languages are you using it on? Don't worry about continuing, it's all in the works!

@shareef59: If the Hotfix List becomes "hot", it will not be in the near future. Keeping webpages up to date on my own is enough to keep me busy at the moment. Searching for and updating links will be addressed when my webmaster returns from sabatical.

@beppemito: One Step uses predined parameters, Custom CD uses the parameters you select. There is not special Italian support or update links at the moment, but, as you know, you can still use XPCREATE and manually select your hotfixes.

@shortie: 101 XPCreations! Maybe we can get Disney to write the "script"! If you still are having problems let me know.

@PaulzY: Always a pleasure to hear success stories! Those values you see in the add/remove programs can not be programatically avoided. There are not "real" remove buttons, but information as to what has been installed.

@techtype: Sorry. looks like I missed you there. Yes, those MSIs can just be dropped there (as you have figured out by now ... ). I'm working on the MSXML update handler, and it will be out next release.

Is that everybody?

I should have the next release out this weekend. The major additions are the handling of MDAC 2.8 installation and update, and MSXML 3 update. (MSXML 3 and MSXML 4 installation support is, as always, done using the MSI handlers).

zbeta

zbeta

c:\>debug M$

• Pip
  • 79 posts

I should have the next release out this weekend. The major additions are the handling of MDAC 2.8 installation and update, and MSXML 3 update. (MSXML 3 and MSXML 4 installation support is, as always, done using the MSI handlers).

goodies!! :)
Google is your friend, you just have to ask!

Keun

Keun
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply looking forward to your new release :-)

boehmri

boehmri

• 14 posts
Good day -

Some time back, GM indicated that support fow W2k and windows 2003 "might" be added at a later date. I've been using the "old" version of xpcreate to manage w2k. GM has eliminated support for RunOnce in the current version, and that's where a conflict arises. W2k, by default, ships with IE5.01. I consider IE6 to be a requirement. Certain patches can NOT be applied until AFTER IE6 is installed. This requires RunOnce functionality.

Criticism is not my purpose. Xpcreate is far above anything I can do. I'm trying to point out an incosistency in stated objectives.

Great program!
There's no sense in being stupid if you can't show it - Stephen Senecal
Courtesy is the oil for the machinery of civilization - Unknown

AirMaleDFW

AirMaleDFW

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
I am new to using XPCREATE... so that's my first problem :-)

It's performing quite a complex set of operations and there is an awful lot of script . Errors are bound to creep up with different scenarios.

Somewhere in this thread I came across people experiencing a vga.sys corruption messages with their unattended install.... I also had that problem.

Using a pre-sp1 source and letting XPCREATE slipstream the SP1, the first order of business was XPCREATE copying all of the files from the source cd. Second was the slipstreaming of SP1 into the CDROOT. Well, sometime after that (after it had moved on to step 3, 4 etc...), I noticed that XPCREATE went looking for TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF from the source CD. I only noticed it because I had removed the source CD thinking it was done with it and later noticed some FINDSTR errors scroll up the screen with the original CDROM files as it's source. I think this is where the first vga.sys corruption error came from because the SP1 slipstream should have updated TXTSETUP.SIF etc, under CDROOT and XPCREATE used the older versions of these files again from the CD.

When I slipstreamed SP1 myself and then used that CD as the XPCREATE source.... the vga.sys corruption error went away.

Right now I'm having a problem with the finished CD not successfully installing .NET, MM2 and MP9 from the RunOnceEx.

This is a nice forum but when I search for something (like vga.sys) and it displays the results... it takes you to the topic where that result is found and not the page within the topic. With a hundred + pages in some topics...??? Is it just me or am I doing something wrong with the search function?

Thanx

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
@boehmri: Do not confuse objective goals with attained goals! I did say that 2K and 2K3 were planned into XPCREATE, and that is still true. For the moment the code is more 2K aware than 2k compliant, but the differences are not that great, and adding 2K to the list should not be a major undertaking. 2K3 is slightly different, especially in it's treatment of the hotfix versions. Again, the task is fairly straight forward.

I also believe that almost everything can be added before the first GUI reboot. Almost, and there are still exceptions, such as the Advanced Network Package. As most all is done in the pre-reboot stage, I have decided to pay less attention to the final pieces, as those can be installed as part of the users post-setup installation routines. One of the main reasons behind this decisoin was the eternal conflict with XPCREATE hotfix setups, and the user's own custom installations.

However, the problem should not, and will not, be overlooked. I am considering different possibilities, including using a seperate option/module that will create a package that can be run during setup, to schedule tasks to be run on first reboot, using either RunOnce or RunOnceEx. This will happen at a later phase.

Most of all, thank you for your comments. Criticism is welcome. It is then evaluated, and either appreciated ... or ignored!

@AirMaleDFW: You're hired. I just recently corrected the bug that took TXTSETUP.SIF from the (NON SPed) CD, and added it to the new SP1 source. I had not, however, made the connection between this and the VGA.SYS errors. Mystery solved. Just another case of not seeing the trees from the forest. Or the Greek nose on my face.

Concerning your questions ... you are using the version of XPCREATE that will be replaced in the next few days. Though the new version has less bells and whistles, it does work as defined by the slipstreaming specs. There is a link some pages back for the current test version, or check back in a few days.

As far as searching the board, you should select "Show results as posts" as opposed to "Show results as threads" (Your mileage may vary ... )

mdes

mdes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
----

Edited by mdes, 14 February 2004 - 06:25 AM.

Windows XP Pro French + SP2 Many Thanks to GreenMachine XPCREATE
Michel Dessaintes (nick: mdes) FlashList for genealogy, CongésRFV for Pocket PC

headspin

headspin
  • 4 posts
I am having the same problem mentioned by benthos, in that there is an attempt to download the old windowsmedia-kb828026-x86-enu.exe file that no longer exists on Microsoft's server.

I could manually change it to the correct version (windowsmedia-q828026-x86-enu.exe), but when I take a look at XPCREATE.CRI I notice it is missing many of the hot fixes mentioned on your site as well as containing the kb828026 file which is obviously out of date.

I have attempted to do the web update several times (and even re-named XPCREATE.CRI to force another download), but it seems the file downloaded is the same old version.

Could you possibly update it, or give me a link to the latest version?

I could manually edit it, but this would require me to go and find every hotfix mentioned on your site and then the link on the Microsoft site and place them in XPCREATE.CRI. There has got to be an easier way!

P.S Love the idea of this tool and can't wait to get an ISO with the latest patches. Great work!

headspin

headspin
  • 4 posts
Sorry, almost forgot - could you possibly add the following RAID/SATA driver for the Intel ICH5R controller.

The link to the file is here

Thanks again :)

Geezer

Geezer

• 15 posts
First post: I'm new to unattended, very impressed by all the effort and enthusiasm here. For my first unattended CD, I want to do:
- Win2k SP4 (SP5-when?)
- Critical/important OS hotfixes (all type 1 right now)
- DX9.0b, WMP9, MDAC Update
- IE6 SP1
- Q832894 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
- Q330994 Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express April, 2003

XPCREATE is my preferred means of getting there. All the above are not really a problem, except I'm not sure about IE6 and its updates/patches in relation to everything else.

@boehmri:
You're the first I've seen claiming success using XPCREATE with W2k. It seemed to me it should work. Could you give some detail on how you set it up to install W2k with IE6 and updates? For IE6, did you do IEAK, then an iexpress package, or something else? Maybe give a little step-by-step. Ideally, dir or otherwise document your XPCREATE folder structure (minus CDSOURCE).

@BaTLeZone:
Thank you very much for dirdescription.html! We need more like that!
I have reformatted it and fixed a little spelling, for easier reading (at least for me), attached as xpcdirs2.html. You get all the credit and responsibility for the content.

@GM
It's in development, I know. But we're going to have to work on the documentation, and you know it. You can write, and write well. I like that you even write grammatically, unlike some.

In for the duration...

- Geezer

Attached Files

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
@headspin: Reluctently, I have updated the download list. Let me know if there are any more dead links. I will look over your SATA drivers this week. I will add any signed SATA drivers to XPCREATE's list, once the person requesting it can confirm success. Unsigned drivers may (or may not) be added using the method outlined on my website, but I will not be integrating or testing them. (You're OK, there are signed drivers.)

@Geezer: Welcome. I'm sure if you look around long enough, or ask the right questions, you will find whatever you need here. As for XPCREATE and WIN2K, both boehmri and utln have had some success. I did have a version of 2KCREATE. I should have some time this week, and together we could go over the remaining issues. Progress will be directly related to your availability for testing and reporting. Perhaps this would be a good time for anyone else intereted in WIN2K to speak up.

Syncronising documentation and functionality is, for any developer, an ongoing battle. In my case it depends on many external factors, such as my workload, and my mood ... XPCREATE is nearly "fixed" for it's next release, and at that point it will be easier to write the documentation. As for grammatical correctness, I was terrorized by my A level English teacher, who used to jump up on the desk and recite King Lear (or even worse, Cordilia ... ). I've not been the same since. I am glad to see that it has been noticed, and I will note that I do it without a syntax/spell checker. If it paid as well, I'd just as soon write English as code, but I ain't that good.

I'll give a test WIN2K run here, and let you know where it stands. As for service pack 5 ... forget about it. But perhaps you could compile a list of critical / recommended SP4 hotfixes? Perhaps someone else already has one? I'm also curious as to why you want WIN2K, and not XP, and how many machines you intend to install. As for IE, I believe the best solution is to use the IEAK, create the distribution flat, and pack it into an IExpress package. It works for MS, it'll work fine for us. Take a little time to set it up correctly, and you will end up with a perfectly tuned IE installation, available for installation with the click of the mouse. Doing so will also ease the inevitable debugging, by keeping it modular.

I'm almost there ... and should wrap up the slipstream module shortly. In the meantime, please use the "New and Improved" version HERE. The slipstreaming algorythms have not changed.

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
The current Hotfix list on GM's site and folders are for the new XPCreate that he's been working on.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN