Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPCREATE Project

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
844 replies to this topic

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Okay, just did a "clean" CD... no additions apart from what XPCREATE adds to the disk.

Still dying at "Setup is starting Windows"...

Got a list of things to try?

Attached is my WINNT.SIF and XPCREATE.INI.

Attached Files

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dtmunir

dtmunir

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Joined 17-July 03

Okay, just did a "clean" CD... no additions apart from what XPCREATE adds to the disk.

hey wraith i replyed to u earleir in this thread (pg 16 i think), but i suppose u mustve missed it. ive had similar problems iwht xp and trust me its not the boot sector of ur installation or anythin like this. go read my post. ull figure:

http://www.MSFN.org/...c=11922&st=150#

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

hey wraith i replyed to u earleir in this thread (pg 16 i think), but i suppose u mustve missed it. ive had similar problems iwht xp and trust me its not the boot sector of ur installation or anythin like this. go read my post. ull figure:

http://www.MSFN.org/...c=11922&st=150#

Ahhh, I did miss it.

Unfortunately, I don't think USB is the problem, I've tried installing it on Virtual PC, VMware and on an actual comp, all with the same problem.

My version of Virtual PC (don't know about later versions) has no capabilities for USB, so I doubt it's the problem.

Thanks for the reply tho.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@Wraith: I'll have to make a nice list for this case. For now, the easiest thing (for me to tell you anyway ... ) would be to turn off all the autoupdating, use Custom CD, and add pieces one at a time, and see when it stops working. First just XP and SP1. Only. If that work's, we know it is one of the hotfixes/updates. Add the hotfixes a pinch at a time until it goes sour. At some point it shold stop working. You could also try creating a CD or an ISO from the files in CDROOT with Nero or Roxio, or whatever, and see if that exhibits the same symptoms. I would think you have different files than me, but I've yet to be able to look over the log you posted (thanks by the way, that should help if it a case of "operator error"!) I'll let you know if I find more. Please try a "basic" setup, just to insure that we are not wasting our time barking up the wrong tree.

JoJa15

JoJa15

• 11 posts
  • Joined 31-December 03
I decided to try out XPCREATE and ran into some problems. Hopefully someone can help me out.

The first problem I ran into was an error trying to find mscoree.dll when running the update via web functionality. It would still perform fine but it would preset an error that it could not find the .dll. I solved the problem by downloading .NET framework from Windows update. GreenMachine you may want to add that .NET framework v1.1 is required in your Requirements section on your website. This was seen on Win2000, on WinXP it says a different error but both go away once .NET framework is installed.

My second problem is when I try the Update Hotfixes Now option. It says the following:

-- 16:04:32 --> Look for XP Source.
-- 16:04:32 --> Look for CD-ROM Drives.
'REG' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Error: Cannot any CD Drives.
Value: CDROM1
     Press Enter to Exit Program.
-- 16:05:43 --> Downloading: Download List.
-- 16:05:44 --> /XPUPDATE//SP/ENU/XPCREATE.SPK
The system cannot find the file XPCREATE.SPK.
-- 16:05:52 --> Downloading: Download List.
-- 16:05:52 --> /XPUPDATE//SP/ENU/XPCREATE.CRI
The system cannot find the file XPCREATE.CRI.
-- 16:05:58 --> Downloading: Download List.
-- 16:05:58 --> /XPUPDATE//SP/ENU/XPCREATE.REC
The system cannot find the file XPCREATE.REC.
-- 16:06:04 --> Move created files for later use/review.
-- 16:06:04 --> Remove temporary files.
-- 16:06:04 --> XPCREATE has completed.
-- 16:06:04 --> Started  at: 16:04:31
-- 16:06:04 --> Finished at: 16:06:04

Press Enter to return to the Menu.

Why is it displaying the 'REG' error?

What is the following error mean? "Error: Cannot any CD Drives."

Why can it not find the download list files? The downloader seems to be accessing 216.127.65.109 but then it says "downloaded 0 bytes (total size unknown)" and just sits there. Is there a way to get auto download to work or do I need to manually download updates? [EDIT] I just tried this on my XP machine and it is getting the files. I am not sure why it is working now as I copied my folder from my Win2000 machine to the XP one. I have not tried it again on my Win2000 machine yet as the XP machine is still downloading hotfixes.

If anyone can give me some tips on the above items please let me know.

Thanks in advance. GreenMachine this looks like a great program from all the posts I read. I don't know why I am having problems but I probably did something stupid. Thank you for working hard to make a useful program like this.

-John

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Well, John, I guess it is OK on the XP box, right? It should work on 2k, but it could could be a problem in the downloader. I have not tried it on 2K, but will soon. It would be a shame if that was the problem, but these thrid party utilities are beyond my control. If you are not using VPC or something to test, you can still get the trial HERE. The OneStep option will take a while, but after that it will be much faster, using the Custom CD option.

Strange that .Net solved some issues. I have only used it on .Net PCs. It is just a little silly to require .net for a batch file ... I don't think it is the menu ... Please let me know how it works out on an install.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Just had a thought... I'm running windows 2003, and it uses the 5.2.3790.0 version of the cab maker (I think it's the cab thing.. SOMETHING is using the 2003 version...)

MS wouldn't have changed the format of them would they?

Actually, I think I'll just go try making one on an XP system...
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
All mine are made on 2K3, and I use the MakeCab included with XPCREATE. By all rights, if you do a default install with nothing added, it shold work on your VPC just as it does in mine. If that is not true ... there is something fishy going on. In any event, changing the hardware is a good, simple and painless test to do now. Kind of like checking all the cables in a hardware problem: look for the easy answer first.

Did yo try Nero or Roxio? The whole CD structure is in CDROOT, and the boot image is probably around as well.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Well, watching it go on the XP system, it doesn't seem to be using the makecab.exe in the XPCREATE dir, but the one in \windows\system32

The scripts are up to date, so it looks a bit weird.

I'll see how the rest goes.

If not, I'll try making a whole bunch of custom cds without certain options, keeping the logs for attaching later.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I would think it looks in the local directory for MakeCab first, but I could be wrong. I may put it into a subdirect, so that addressing it thusly it will not accept the stuff in the path. In any event, MakeCab has not changed, but COMPRESS may have ... Just to be sure, replace the one in system32 with my version, especially if it is 39 k in size.

The scripts are up to date, so it looks a bit weird.

What do you mean ? What's wierd?

I would start with the simple CD first: it is also more rewarding to have something working, then break it.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
It looks weird because of the fact it's running the one in \windows\system32...

I did a search, there's no compress.exe in my system32 so it has to be using the one in the XPCREATE directory.

I'm doing a disc only with sp1.

As a sidenote, hpt3xx.sy_ isn't being copied across to CDROOT - a disc I made last night complained that it wasn't there, so I've had to put it in I386 manually.

Anyways, expect some ini's and logfiles soon.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I get what you are seeing: it is the title bar in the dos boxes that pop up. Anyway, shouldn't be a worry. The XPCREATE.LOG file is the most important but you must save it before you do anything else with XPCREATE. Design flaw ... Also, when prompted to press enter to return, scroll up and see that every line starts with a time stamp arrow. If not, it is an error ...

Thanks for your help ...

EDIT:: I don't like this file missing: hpt3xx.sy_ . i think that is the highpoint driver ... when Text mode dies, is there anything write on the bottom of the screen?

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I hope your not using an OEM CD ... I have no hpt3xx.sy_ on my CD ...

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Everything starts with a timestamp.
It's not an OEM CD. It's a VLK Professional.

The test I did on the XP system came up with the same result - stalling at "Setup is starting Windows" (surprise surprise :))

Waiting for this SP1-only cd to happen... Yay for running out of diskspace ;-)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Amazing how quick it can eat up space ... did it have the same hpt3xx.dl_ error? I use 2K3, I use XP VLK, I dont get any of that ... I'm starting to suspect the driver.cab file, bcause the missing file is in there, not in I386 directly. We shold figure out that before looking further ... Change Delete Temp FIles Automatically, or whatever, and see where you find it next time. (Only cost you a couple hundred Mbs ... )

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
I moved both the XP source folder, and changed the iso creation path to another drive, so it should work now... *fingers crossed*

Delete temp's is off, so I'll see.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Save XPCREATE.LOG before it self destructs ...

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03

... and changed the iso creation path to another drive, ...

I hope that's all you changed ... I guess that just became a new system setting.

JoJa15

JoJa15

• 11 posts
  • Joined 31-December 03
Woohooo!!! I got XPCREATE going and it works like a charm. I booted up my CD and it had only 1 recommended update. Here is the update that it was looking for:

Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (KB822603)
Download size: 341 KB, < 1 minute
This update addresses the "Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update" issue in Windows XP and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article 822603. Download now to install the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 update. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer

Is that normal?

I am still having problems getting XPCREATE to work on my Win2000 machine but on my XP machine it is working fine.

Now I am going to move on to trying to get other programs installed like Winzip, WinRAR, NERO, and drivers like ATI Catalyst, NFORCE, and SATA/Raid drivers.

Thank you so much GreenMachine for making a tool that has saved me a lot of hassle. I have not figured out why it needed the .NET framework to work but it definitely got rid of my error messages once I installed it.

Thank you again for such a great tool.

- John

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
**** these people for getting it to work :)

Okay, it ran the whole custom CD creation thing, attached the logfile and the ini. (still running ISO optimisation, but if the logfile gets killed, I spose this is as good a time as any to copy it out...)

Had a quick look thru the log, maybe I'm wrong, but it looks as though it applied the hotfixes even though the ini says not to...

Should the hotfixes be removed from the folders and autoupdates turned off?

EDIT: I updated it with the final log. Nothing out of the ordinary in the command prompt window - every line has a timestamp.

Attached Files

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@JoJa15: That's one too many ... it'll go away on a live PC: VPC has no USB, thus this false error. I'll have to try 2K: I haven't since I added the downloader and the INI file creator.

I'm interested in any success concerning the drivers you mention ...

Glad it went so smooth for you ... just wish it did for all!

Sorry Wraith, but when it works, it works like a charm ...

@Wraith: You still have SVCPACK.INF?

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Unfortunately, no SVCPACK.INF.

The setup there DID work, it gets past the "Setup is starting Windows", so I guess it's one of the hotfixes.

I'll try type 1 now.

EDIT: Attached SVCPACK.IN_

Attached Files

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@Wraith: From the log it does look like you are slipstreaming when you should not be. Other than that is lookls OK, but it does not look like the latest version of XPCREATE ... have you Updated XPCREATE via the web? Do you have the SVCPACK.INF file? you can turn off autoupdate, and pull the files, that will ceratinly not slipstream them. You should also not bother with the OneStep option, ans that is mainly needed the first time. It will also override any INI settings ...

HOLD ON ... get me the SVCPACK.IN_ off the CD first ...

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
SCVPACK.IN_ in prev post.

Version string at top of the menu:

XPCREATE by GreenMachine Productions © 2004 Release 01.01.2004 01:00

EDIT: (I did just update it, apparently no change, but creating new CD with Type 1 hotfixes now.)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03

XPCREATE by GreenMachine Productions © 2004    Release 01.01.2004 01:00

****, that looks professional ...

All the hotfixes have been run, just not slipstreamed. Next step is to slipstream: change the Custom CD settings. Otherwise everything is OK, no? Save the SVCPACK.INF, and don't bother packing the cab files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users