Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Auto Dectect Drivers in i386

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

svasutin

svasutin

• PipPip
  • 192 posts
Hello,

I am sure this question has been posted and answered, but I just can't seem to find the correct thread. I've searched but most of the posts refer to specific cases, and since I can't seem to find the correct one, any links are appreciated.

I have several computers with different hardware configurations. I realize I could create $oem$\$1\PnPDrivers..., but I do not want to copy the folder to the hard drive. Rather, I would like to put the drivers in the i386, and have XP autodetect them during the installation.

In several cases Msft has released updated unidrivers that I would like to replace for sound, networking, and video, and in other cases, XP simply does not have any drivers available (including SCSI and SATA). On some of my systems $1 refers to a 2k OS, and I install to some $x, where x is unknown each time.

My question is, how do get XP to find and install only the drivers needed for the specific system, without copying entire folders to a hard drive? I am not always looking to install the Mfr's drivers, as these are updated frequently; I just want enough drivers to ensure bootability with the correct Hardware Identification.

Thank you for your help, and happy new year.

Scott

Keywords: unattend auto detect autodetect xp drivers driver i386 silent unidrivers

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jdeboeck

jdeboeck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
THe $1 refers to the systemdrive, not the c-drive, so the files go to the directory where windows xp is installed as well.

If you want xp to detect your drivers like any other xp included driver, you will most likely have to rewrite your inf files. Trust me, you don't want to rewrite your driver inf files. You have specify that the windows cd and the i386 directory on it, and not the driver disk, will be the source for files. By then your driver becomes unsigned and windows prefers a signed driver...

svasutin

svasutin

• PipPip
  • 192 posts
How bad could it be? :-)
It took nearly forever for me to get my answer file, registry hacks, patches, and guirunonce to work, so what's forever + 1 day...

By the way, I've been reading on this forum about .Nyet and Dx9 being installed after the 1st restart, here's another idea.

Extract Dx9 to your OEM folder, then replace the dxsetup.exe with the one from 8.1b. In your command lines, you can now type:
start /wait dxsetup.exe /install /silent

For .nyet
start /wait dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"

Scott

jdeboeck

jdeboeck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Why not slipstream DX9 and be done with it?
Some guy made has a download for it available.

http://www.msfnforum.cjb.net/

Download DX9 slipstream pack, extract in your CD root (next to i386) and run the batchfile that comes with it. Voila DX9 slipstreamed :)

For the drivers, its just best to use $OEM$. The drivers will be copied to your hard disk anyway... If you put them in driver.cab, that file is copied to your harddisk. If you put them in $$\driver cache they'll be copied just the same as $1.

You can change the base path to the CD instead of %SYSTEMDRIVE%, but I cant remember in which thread I read it.

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
you could try this....
prevents the copying...
http://www.MSFN.org/...showtopic=12566
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

un4given1

un4given1

Elaborate Dreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
If you found the correct place to input this key BEFORE PNP discovery...

Key = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Type = REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value = DevicePath
Data = (examples) %systemdrive%\drivers\audio

So, if you input for Data, the location of your CD and the directory to look under, it would search there for them

Like I said, I can't really help you with where to make these changes. I honestly don't know... maybe someone else could? I am sure you could probably edit a HIVE file or maybe create an INF.
What if everything around you, isn't quite as it seems...
What if all the world you used to know, is an elaborate dream...
And if you look at your reflection, Is that all you want to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself... find yourself afraid to see?

jdeboeck

jdeboeck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Key = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Type = REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value = DevicePath
Data = (examples) %systemdrive%\drivers\audio

Yep thats the registry key I read about, you can try adding it to the hives but i dont know if it will work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN