Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Add ons for right click MY Computer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

christopher

christopher

cowboys fan!

• PipPip
  • 199 posts
;Adds Drive Cleanup to right click of MY Computer
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Drive Cleanup\command]
@="cleanmgr"

:)

i can't do a drive clean up on my computer no matter what i do... when i go to start menu.. accessories, and access it from there, i can do my d:/ real quick and easy.. but it won't let me do my c:/.. it just says it's scanning or checking or whatever.. but doesn't do anything, no matter how long i let it sit.

disk cleanup doesnt work on my c:/.. i have no idea how to fix it or what to do. it just won't go.

any help?
Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
I've read most your problem's in the other forum's man and about all I can say is FORMAT that dude and get it back to beginning. Then from there use system restore and watch very carefull what you do and if you see problem's, restore it. Install recovery console to make it easier just in case. Yes you can run system restore from the command prompt. I limit system restore and I know within minutes, an hour or even next day if something isn't right, I have an option cause the way I set Restore up it work's perfectly for me, now that's strange that MS got that right if it's limited. I limit my restore to 7 day's for one so you don't get the garbage and excessive disk usage, but who care's with a large main drive.. But limiting it, it work's for me.

Set system Restore to 7 day's, 604800 is decimal, below is hex
Basically its DAYS X 86400 in decimal

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
"RPLifeInterval"=dword:00093a80

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

pinion

pinion
  • 8 posts

Take a look at the command for services. Its a Reg_Expand_SZ key which allows commands to be carried out. Thats why its different. Some things are direct access due to their naming and they run as executables and others need something like that because they run with something else.

No, REG_EXPAND_SZ stands for expandable strings. It means it will process (expand) environment variables like %SystemRoot% prior to passing the resultant value to the caller. It has nothing to do with something being an executable or requiring another app to run.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts

No, REG_EXPAND_SZ stands for expandable strings.

Dang I didn't know that. Actually I just didn't go into techno babble cause its not my thing, least I try not to. Just don't want to confuse anyone. Guess I screw up calling it command's since it's carrying out several. First calling (MMC)Microsoft Management Console and then the services.msc. But you can call it from a REG_SZ key
C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe /s C:\Windows\system32\services.msc /s
instead of
%windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s
Looks like a series of command's. You can't call C:\Windows\system32\services.msc /s direct though except from Command Prompt or RUN.

So to do this whole thing with a REG_SZ key;

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\services]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\services\command]
@="C:\\Windows\\system32\\mmc.exe /s C:\\Windows\\system32\\services.msc /s"

Only thing is if someone spec's a different drive or root, then the Expand work's much nicer with less trouble. Gee thanks MIKEY
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

DakeKasumi

DakeKasumi
  • 4 posts

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\[LogOff]\command]]
@="shutdown -l -f -t 5"

Just thought I would point it out..typo...it should read...

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\[LogOff]\command]
@="shutdown -l -f -t 5"

Thanks for the tweaks, they are very helpful.

Thanks.

im a bit lost..i cant seem to get any fo them to work..am i missing a program to do this stuff or what? What am i not supposed to type, i get as far as making the new Keys all the way to command, but after that whatever i type in doesnt seem to work...but in the process of tryign these out i did accedentlly figure out how to add Program shortcuts to the right click. ...anywway...what is @= supposed to stand for?

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
I see nothing wrong with the above look closer. Mine is same as yours except the first reg entry
;Adds LogOff to right click of MY Computer.  I add the [] to group these
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\[LogOff]]   << double ] there, not on next line

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\[LogOff]\command]

Thanks. im a bit lost..i cant seem to get any fo them to work..am i missing a program to do this stuff or what? What am i not supposed to type, i get as far as making the new Keys all the way to command, but after that whatever i type in doesnt seem to work...but in the process of tryign these out i did accedentlly figure out how to add Program shortcuts to the right click. ...anywway...what is @= supposed to stand for?

You probably need to copy and paste into a reg file and merge for them to work, the @ is probably your problem. That means default value and you can't change it unless by reg write or merge. There should be only 1 entry in these and its the default value. Go look at this key, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell and you probably will see default with value of None. Don't change that as its supposed to be that way.

DakeKasumi

DakeKasumi
  • 4 posts

[qoute]
You probably need to copy and paste into a reg file and merge for them to work, the @ is probably your problem. That means default value and you can't change it unless by reg write or merge. There should be only 1 entry in these and its the default value. Go look at this key, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell and you probably will see default with value of None. Don't change that as its supposed to be that way.

So explain this to me step by step here..i go to Wordpad right, type the text in as seen here? And then save and Then Merge....what goes where and where do i stop, and do i have to go to the rgistry to finish or what?

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
If you wanted to add them all that I've listed then go into regedit and export this key. I'm running XP and I hope you are. I haven't tested with anything else.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell
save that as MyPC_shell.reg somewhere for a backup.
Sometimes just pasting to wordpad don't work so I included. A better method for pasting is to make a copy of the shell.reg then paste what I have into it. Or here it is.

Save that and right click it and choose merge. Should be instantantly added to the right click of your My Computer icon.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 24 November 2008 - 05:38 PM.

DakeKasumi

DakeKasumi
  • 4 posts
ok kool...i managed to get the control panel on my right click, it was simpler then i thought, but how do i get folders there?

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Save this as AnyFolder.reg.
It now points to C:\Windows\Inf folder and you can modify it to what you want. Note you need the double \\ in it.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 24 November 2008 - 05:38 PM.

Rhino

Rhino

• 49 posts
Pretty cool stuff in this thread - thanx a lot :).

Got 2 questions:

1. In what order are the options in the My Computer right click menu shown - it ain't alphabetically - seems more at bit random.

2. How do I make a horizontal line like the one between fx. Rename and Properties - is it possible to fx. make one so Reboot, Shutdown & LogOff have their own 'section' ?

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
You know I've noticed that but never thought nothing of it.
I group them now by adding _ .
_Logoff
_Reboot
_Shutdown

Ok I added this

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\_]
@="------------------"
Notice the underscore _ at end of Reg, same as my Logoff, reboot and so on.
Its Generic but works, any of the others i've looked at are a dll call.

Perhaps someone else may know how to add
SEPARATOR

Rhino

Rhino

• 49 posts
So this is a way to kind of build your own seperator, but not quite the same. I actually remember reading some post in another board about making these in the start menu - the first part of it that pops up - and the answer to that was somethink like having to use Resource Hacker. I'm not familiar working with that tool though.

Thanx maxXPsoft for givin' it a shot :)

medhunter

medhunter

Emergency physician

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

AnyFolder.reg
Save this as AnyFolder.reg.
It now points to C:\Windows\Inf folder and you can modify it to what you want. Note you need the double \\ in it.

thx for sharing :rolleyes:

wanna tell u the link is dead

keep on good work m8

The Best Has Not Come Yet

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Ok fixed that

Edited by maxXPsoft, 24 November 2008 - 05:39 PM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Rhino,
Trouble with hacking a dll is tomorrow there may be an update to it and change the dll so you would then have to re-do your hack. I personally can do without. Yes you can use resource hacker and mod the shell32.dll

Rhino

Rhino

• 49 posts
OK, I can do without as well. It's not that important. I'll try making a folder instead - it's just to get those 'dangerous' shortcuts a little out of the way - but still easy to access.

Rhino

Rhino

• 49 posts
Hmm.. think I misunderstood the AnyFolder tweak - I thought it was in the My Computer right click menu. I'll figure something else out.

Thanx for now :rolleyes:

Edit: My final solutions is very close to your first example maxXPsoft. Just needed some more space in my opinion :). So now it's [ Reboot ] & [ Shutdown ]. :D

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
The Anyfolder is on right click Start, where Open, Explore is. Its just a simple shortcut to any thing you want. You can actually put the Reboot, Shutdown there also if you wanted. Just save's step's instead of Start, Shutdown (select option) Ok
good grief make it easy i wanna reboot test this tweak kind of thing.

Swap em which ever way you want, add it to My Computer also but mine's kinda crowded since i have so much there. With the CMenuExtender folder's and file's have their own bit of stuff also. The Right click context menu in my Sig.

It's just a matter of setting Window's to work the way you want it to.

Rhino

Rhino

• 49 posts
Allright :)

I like it as it is now ... works well.

Thanx for your support :rolleyes:

snakefood

snakefood

• 18 posts
Wow...i thought i knew a fair bit about windows.....

You guys have got loads of pukka tweaks here, thanx to all of you.

I esp like the add/remove proggies and device manager.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
add/remove is very useful from MY PC if you're working in Explorer so you can clean up any extra file's

Echolomax

Echolomax

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
anybody knows how to make this tweak in every right click?

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
http://www.msfn.org/...=0
Might look at that.

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
does ne1 know the reg key to rename it back to "My Computer", Ive tried search, but I couldnt find the reg key for it.
Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN