[SOLVED] Problem: nLite'd XP bootCD is not booting on Acer Aspire

Bishop

Bishop, being a little lazy tonight, I may ask some obvious questions. Have we talked about running nLite under Vista building an XP ISO? This is very problematical. Have you tried running nLite under XP? Have you tried running nLite against you source with no changes at all, just burn a CD and see if it will work? I am, of course, very afraid of your source, but please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of your original source folder. Please remove the Tweak "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process" - leads to a Windows bug, but has nothing to do with your real problem. Enjoy, John.

Bishop, being a little lazy tonight, I may ask some obvious questions. Have we talked about running nLite under Vista building an XP ISO? This is very problematical.

We have not talked about this, and yes I am running nLite under my own Windows Vista Ultimate. (vLite'd I might add. :sneaky:)

I am not experiencing any problem during any of nLite's processes though. Is it something 'under the hood' that makes the nLite'd CD different when building it under Vista instead of under XP?

Have you tried running nLite under XP?

No, but I will see if I can get a XP running machine and do the exact same process.

Have you tried running nLite against you source with no changes at all, just burn a CD and see if it will work? I am, of course, very afraid of your source, but please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of your original source folder.

I've burned the image to a CD using Nero. I can try to repeat the process using nLite and just burn it.

Am starting to run out of CD's, does it matter if I will use CD-RW's / DVD-RW's?

I've attached a shot from the source image.

post-242616-1241516407_thumb.png

Bishop, you can run any media you can write and read. Before I discovered VMware Server, I used DVD+RW and have reused them many times. Please be sure to erase them first - nLite will do this really quickly. Many people have reported problems running nLite under Vista creating an ISO for XP. It is best if you try XP. One way to try it, is to install a virtual system on your Vista and run nLite under XP installed on your VM. I see a VALUADD folder on your CD. This probably means the source is some kind of a CD shipped with a machine and contains some "enhancements." Have you looked into your "hidden partition" to see if you can find the XP install files? It may be worth a try - obviously I fear your current source. Let us know if you are able to run nLite under XP. Enjoy, John.

I have ran nLite in an XP machine today. The result when trying to boot was the same.

In my searches through old boxes I have found an XP Professional CD with license key. (Dad's a software junkie :-p) I did the same process, on an XP machine, with nlite and that CD didn't boot either. A normal install from that CD ended in a BSOD. That CD did boot into the installer but kept crashing after copying the drivers just before the part where you choose what partition you want to install. My guess is that that has something to do with the fact that the Aspire Ones don't run on XP lower then SP1. (Read that somewhere)

Tomorrow I'll swing past my old work to see if they've got an OEM XP Home Edition CD lying around.

Bishop, the BSOD error code might be useful. If your system keeps rebooting, try hitting F8 and go into Safe Mode, then turn off Automatic Restart and reboot. Enjoy, John.

Bishop, the BSOD error code might be useful.

It doesn't reboot. It hangs there in the middle of loading drivers.

Want me to write down the code still?

I can't press f8 yet as the system's not intalled anything yet.

Bishop,sure, the error code may be helpful. I gave the instructions for Safe Mode because some have seen repeated reboot and the BSOD is so quick, they cannot get the error code. Let us know. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: My guess is 07B.

Edited by johnhc

After it's loaded the initial drivers the setup, blue background, says: The setup is starting windows. I can see this on the bottom left of the screen.

Then after about 10 seconds it gives a BSOD.

"A problem has been detected and Windws has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. etc etc."

***stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7AFA63C, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

How did you know..?

And please.. tell me you've found the solution now. :)

Bishop, as I said, my guess. I have seen this before, but no solution just yet, but I believe we can deal with this one. I see no text mode drivers in your Last Session. Is the device you are installing to on a SATA controller? If so, you will need to include text mode drivers for it. Are you using a RAID setup? If so, same deal. You cannot use F6 method with an nLited ISO unless you disable OEM Preinstall in the Unattended section. Please see the help for OEM Preinstall (? in circle). Getting closer, John.

The harddrive's model name is Hitachi HTS543216L9A300, it's a SATA drive alright.

A few questions come to mind;

• What SATA drivers do I need?
  • Where do I get those?
  • How do I insert them in nLite?
  • Do I need specific files to edit?

Sorry for all these questions, but as this still is 'new' to me I'd rather have a step-by-step guide to guide me through then me guessing what you smart people mean. :)

Edited by Bishop

Bishop, you need drivers for your SATA controller not your drive. Are you sure your HDD is attached on a SATA? I went to the ACER site and found no SATA drivers for AOA150 but I did for the AOD150. Neither were exactly your machine. I attach the one from the latter. Extract this file and point nLite to both the .inf files in the folder. This is done in the nLite Driver section. Let us know. Enjoy, John.

Are you sure your HDD is attached on a SATA?

You are making me doubt now. I've looked up the model type of my HDD which clearly states it's a SATA drive. Every website I come across screams about SATA.

I will use the drivers you provide John, I did find those myself aswell.