• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
forjonny

Dual booting XP/Vista

3 posts in this topic

I have an Acer with Vista on it. I want to put a dual-boot with XP and Vista. I just reformatted my partitioned drive with XP Pro and now want to put Vista on the partition.

The computer came brand new with a DVD called Windows Anytime Upgrade. Is this my operating system for the computer or is it just an upgrade to my orginal Vista installed on this pc? I have the Vista code sticker on the pc as well.

I have an Acer with Vista on it. I want to put a dual-boot with XP and Vista. I just reformatted my partitioned drive with XP Pro and now want to put Vista on the partition.

The computer came brand new with a DVD called Windows Anytime Upgrade. Is this my operating system for the computer or is it just an upgrade to my orginal Vista installed on this pc? I have the Vista code sticker on the pc as well.

Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD is an Vista edition upgrade method by buying a license online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Anytime_Upgrade

It is used to upgrade your vista instead of installing a new Vista OS on your pc.

Edited by MillenX

This is wrong.

I did the install. I was in XP Partition 1 and stuck in my Vista DVD disk and it said Install and I tried that and eventually said that the Upgrade was not available for XP to Vista but when I clicked on I think Next it then ask me where I wanted the install and I chose Partition 2 and it proceeded to install correctly after I put in my COA that I got from my tower. The same tower that I got with the DVD disk.

After it was all done then I had a dual boot of XP and Vista. It just wanted Vista to be the first boot and I told Vista that I wanted XP the first boot OS and it switched that and now I have restarted many times and it works.

So why did it work?

So the upgrade turned into a fresh install. I did not have to put in any disk to show that I had Windows on the drive.

I did not upgrade a Vista for a higher Vista.

Please explain how this happened and why others said that it is for upgrading Vista to Vista (higher)