Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 "Keep" List

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

WiCiO

WiCiO

• 40 posts
  • Joined 25-December 06
maybe.. i'm using 7201 :)
but i got around it :D
in cmd-line write: powercfg /q >> c:\options.txt
you'll get a txt file with a list of settings you can change by writing: POWERCFG -SetAcValueIndex <GUID> <GUID> <GUID> 5
for more options how to use powercfg: powercfg /h >> c:\help.txt
also one can set some basic options:
-CHANGE, -X Modifies a setting value in the current power scheme.

Usage: POWERCFG -X <SETTING> <VALUE>

<SETTING>   Specifies one of the following options:
						  -monitor-timeout-ac <minutes>
						  -monitor-timeout-dc <minutes>
						  -disk-timeout-ac <minutes>
						  -disk-timeout-dc <minutes>
						  -standby-timeout-ac <minutes>
						  -standby-timeout-dc <minutes>
						  -hibernate-timeout-ac <minutes>
						  -hibernate-timeout-dc <minutes>

Example:
				  POWERCFG -Change -monitor-timeout-ac 5

This would set the monitor idle timeout value to 5 minutes when on AC power.

cheers!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

eien

eien
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 27-June 09
I've been trying to vLite 7100 build (too old? Get new one from MS?) but only gotten to installed size 4,6 GB in virtual pc. I want to get to at least near 3 GB. How can I do this? :blink:

FridgeTooFar

FridgeTooFar

p***ed Off

• 47 posts
  • Joined 21-February 09
R.I.P Vlite 2007-2009, You will be missed, but never forgotten. I am officially throwing in the towel, even if I could vlite windows 7, the OS itself has some very nagging problems in the graphics adapter settings department, so with that said I have returned to vista, wiser, now that I know that Microsofts Creto is intact "Dont do today what will become a major problem by tomorrow." and as for nuhi, well he bailed, and yes I know he has a job (problably that big company thats in washington that makes those new fangled operating systems named after a common feature in a house) but if he isnt going to make a new one, or sale a new one, or sale the source code or h*ll give it away then there isnt much you can do with windows 7 and vlite.
---Quick grab a plunger, shes a rising like the mighty Mississip!

Jeronimo

Jeronimo

vLite user

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
See the Windows 7 & vlite topic. Been busy with 3 others or so. I am getting x64 down to 3.25GB. Only ICS, Windows Firewall and IE are troublesome components where "vLite screws-up" the installation.

eien

eien
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 27-June 09
I've actually already figured a way to make it all down to three gigs :thumbup
But that was in VirtualBox with 512mb ram.
But my target machine is P2 233MHz with 160MB ram, which crashed always due to too low amount of ram. I think that has been fixed now. I've gotten untouched iso of Win7 to run on it (well, virtualbox with 160MB ram), so I guess vlited will soon follow. And after that I might try to go for lower ram amount, if I'm able that is.

As you can see, point is not to make usable machine, just to see how low it can go.

PabloW

PabloW

• 28 posts
  • Joined 01-August 05
Which component detects wlan -networks? Currently I have to add them manually.
I have kept 'Network and Sharing Center'.

nujackk

nujackk

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 18-March 05
IS this list still considered good? Ive be away for sometime ( my custom xp running great until recently) And getting 7. don't want to go as lite as some, would like to be sure about this list
Thanks

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
i can nicely say that removing Error Reporting service does NOT break install
as post #1 says
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08

i can nicely say that removing Error Reporting service does NOT break install
as post #1 says

This list is old plz reference either my guide or dead0s guide as well both are very informative and up to date for the RTM version of windows 7 thank you :)

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
yeah but those "guides" only provide methods for removal (or maybe i'm blind)
and no list what too keep/remove safely
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

Knowcontrol

Knowcontrol
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-November 09
You can add another file to the "Keep" list for vLite:

Parental Controls (Some games [Risen] will not run if it's not installed!)

betwixt

betwixt
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 19-August 08
Hi there!

I like this list, but I can't seem to use the group policy and print management snap-in. I tried installing administrative tools manually, after downloading it, but it doesn't help. Is there any way I could fix this without slipstreaming and installing Windows 7 over again? Please please I hope so!

Thanks in advance!
DM

h30

h30
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 07-August 09
Can anyone add the Keep list for Office 2010 beta 4536?
Word seem not work properly! Some dialoge have been broken.

CutTheGrass

CutTheGrass
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 27-December 09
I know you said not to have unattended install but what if i wanted my name and keycode to be entered automatically?
(Check me out on XboxLIVE too, Get owned in Halo3 if u like lol) [GT: CutTheGrass]

hclarkjr

hclarkjr

• PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

I know you said not to have unattended install but what if i wanted my name and keycode to be entered automatically?

i am wondering this too? has solution been found?

Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K@ 4GHZ, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB, 16GB DDR3 1600 Gskill Ripjaws ,XFX radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 8.1 pro X64

hclarkjr

hclarkjr

• PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04
ok, i used latest vlite to integrate 4 drivers and removed the following - security center, windows defender and welcome center. i then rebuilt the image successfully. will this work?

Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K@ 4GHZ, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB, 16GB DDR3 1600 Gskill Ripjaws ,XFX radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 8.1 pro X64

davidoff123

davidoff123
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-February 10
I dont get it. I remove only the files that are on the "SAFE TO REMOVE" list + some Language Files, and I still cant finish the instalation process in VirtualBox.
What options should I use to do "unatended" setup? I de-select all the options. I dont put the Name, CDKey, Password in. Its gets frustrating. Help.
Im using x64 build 7600.

Edited by davidoff123, 01 March 2010 - 08:39 PM.

CafeVincent

CafeVincent
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 05-July 07
If I remove the languages what does it do? Does it...

...remove alternate languages during setup?
...remove alternate languages for Windows itself?
...remove the ability to display fonts correctly in foreign sites?

edit: I tried removing the Chinese, Korean and Japanese languages and it seems it does effect how websites are displayed. Fonts are not displayed, only squares. I don't recommend removing them.

Edited by CafeVincent, 11 April 2010 - 05:54 AM.

CafeVincent

CafeVincent
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 05-July 07

As far as I know we need to keep the following (please add to the list if you know of any more)

(Do not select Unattended Setup as it will error during install or try to add hotfixes, this is due to vlite not being designed for 7 but for vista)
(Do not remove anything from hardware support, it causes a plethora of problems)
(Do not remove drivers either, windows 7 has a slightly different driver style than vista, it wont use all vista drivers, specifically it needs the storage drivers)

That's weird because I've never had problems with unattended or removing hardware support or drivers (haven't tried removing storage though).

(KEEP OR INSTALL WILL FAIL)
*Component Cache winsxs
*Internet Explorer
*Microsoft HTML Engine
*Performance Counters
*Crash Dump Support
*manual setup (something to do with sources folder, being investigated by myself)
*SQM Software Quality Management (needed for installing Windows 7, and for hotfixes)
^Task Scheduler (needed for SQM and Defrag)
*UAC
*MDAC
*Windows Update
^Bits
^IPSEC
*Error Reporting

As I remember removing manual setup works fine. And you can get rid of IE by using the E version.

videobruce

videobruce

• PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06
The OP needs to be updated. It's almost a year old!

When not in use, turn off the juice.

Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

nerdistmonk

nerdistmonk

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10

The OP needs to be updated. It's almost a year old!

The op has been banned, I...i mean he will not be able to update his thread.

Also if this op was here (theoretically), he would tell you the winning move is not to vlite windows 7.

Ok all joking aside.....

Removing all that junk doesnt make any difference performance wise, it just saves space, but considering were in the age
of $70 1tb harddrives, why does it matter (your typical pc game takes over 10gb of space now....you cant win), you cant crack a fart around windows 7, let alone try to use vlite on it, vlite wasnt designed for 7 and it shows,

Microsoft already stripped 40% of the crap from it, it has no movie maker, you can uninstall ALL of the media options (media center, media player and DVD maker) and you can uninstall IE8. As for winsxs and a few other small things, theres some very unhealthy side effects to deleting those.

While I am flattered that people have used my rough roadmap for their pilgrimage to windows 7 zen, I was going to take it down last year.

Heres what I did to my windows 7, and this is how ive ran it ever since:

*Turned off ALL visual effects in system tab
*made a backup of everything to another drive
*Run disk cleanup, ccleaner daily
*only keep 2 restore points
*uninstalled indexing
*Uninstalled gadgets
*uninstalled IE8, media player, media center and dvd maker
*run registry cleaner (ccleaner) once every 2 weeks

and my windows 7 runs perfect (other than a couple of games being fussy...new ones surprisingly...you would figure the old games would act up)
and it runs MUCH faster than my vlited vista sp2 x64,

though I do sorely missed my nlited Windows 2000..........200mb of harddrive space, 16mb ram........

anyways for those who continue to dismantle 7, good luck, i hope my ancient map is still of use to some.

--the monk
-Houston, this is Odyssey signing off.

zephyrus17

zephyrus17
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-June 10
It would be nice if the list in the first post was arranged in alphabetical order. It would make searching a lot easier.

Darginim

Darginim
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 11-February 06
hi;
i need very safe Last Session.ini file or keep list for Windows 7 x86 Build 7600

Grope For Luna

Grope For Luna

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 06-April 06
VLite appears to be useless for the integrated SP1 isos. Some of the files in the oobe folder get replaced with HP printer xml files. This happens in at least 1 more folder in system32 so there may be more. They're still listed as dlls but the content is xml and installation fails when oobe starts.

nerdistmonk

nerdistmonk

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
I started a new list, your replying on a list that should be locked, also Vlite cannot be used with 7 it barely works and SP1 means vlite will chew it to pieces since you need a different new version of the waik.
RT7Lite is all we have for now since nuhi is MIA
-Houston, this is Odyssey signing off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users