NEW PROBLEM internet download limit is capped and dissconects after mo

I have been faithfull in ME for years but now I have a router on the system.

The wireless is working ( 2000 )

my computer is working ( Win 98 )

any other computer is workign ( OSX, Amiga, MSX, Sharp9800 )

However the ME machine just keep losing connection every single minute. I beleive the user of this machine

did something ( like upgrade the Explorer ) and now they keep complaining to me. I have tried reinstalling only

to fail to eeradicate the problem, reinstalling the router, and even test each machine from differnt points of the network.

Even on the modem alone it still refuses to upload. In the end I am left with a computer that is unable to use the internet.

I know that ME has network problems but hey this machine is the kiddie machine and it is easier to recover then a machine with Xp, 2000, or even 98 on it.

Help me Obi one canobie

Edited by Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa

I haven't been around here long enough to know what I can link to or not but search for "BVRP Connection Manager Lite". Its a connection manager. To get my drivers installed right on my win2k I had to install the linksys connection program. It would die out but not as often as yours. I hated it so I got the BVRP program I haven't had no problems with it since. It says its for Win95 and on up. Hope you get it fixed :(

I have seen this behaviour before. It turned out that in Outlook Express->Tools->Options->Connection the option 'Hang up after sending and receiving' was checked, in combination with 'Check for new messages every n minutes'.

This was surprising to me, since the system (W98SE) was connected to a LAN, using a normal ethernet interface. So *how* did it hang up?

That's an idea!

Dunno exactly what it does, but go to Start > Run, type winipcfg, select the appropriate adapter in the dropdown and click Release: the IP becomes 0.0.0.0 and I guess there's no more internet connection afterwards. Clicking Renew will restore the IP (and supposedly the connection).

Maybe OE (or whatever else that is the culprit here) does something similar, programmatically.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got the computer to go on the internet. I decided to upgrade to 2000. So far it works but it has a download limit. I can browse all kinds of webpages with no problems but when anything starts to download like a

Youtube video

Direct Download

Even a Microsoft upgrade

It stops functioning completly. It is like the direct download limit is capped below a MB or something. I can even view this page and others alike but everytime I go and attempt to download something it dissconnects.

Edited by Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa

Have you ever thought of a failure in the network card itself?

One other possiblity - although unlikely - would be wrong BIOS settings, somewhere related either to the network features or to IRQ assignment. Also, if the NIC is seated in a PCI slot, try a different slot and/or make sure it's firmly seated.

So I finally got the computer to go on the internet. I decided to upgrade to 2000. So far it works but it has a download limit. I can browse all kinds of webpages with no problems but when anything starts to download like a

Youtube video

Direct Download

Even a Microsoft upgrade

It stops functioning completly. It is like the direct download limit is capped below a MB or something. I can even view this page and others alike but everytime I go and attempt to download something it dissconnects.

Could well be an issue with how your ISP handles your connection and bandwith. See their website for details on how and why they may cap your bandwith.