Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

IE 6 Reg entry under Win98SE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

nickv

nickv
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
Hello,

I am trying to install a security patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1.

When I run the install program I get an error msg which says "This update requires Internet Explorer Service Pack 1 to be installed"

However service pack 1, is installed, the installation is identified in the Add/Remove programs utility in Control Panel, and also under 'About' on the IE Help button.

I can only assume, that the security patch installation programe is looking for something in the registry to confirm that Service pack 1 is installed, and cant find it. Unfortunately I have no idea what that might be.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might resolve this problem I would be glad to recieve them.

Nick Varley

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
What patch would this be? Is it one issued by Windows Update, or are you installing a patch you downloaded at an earlier time and decided to install manually?

homiebrah

homiebrah

You think you know so much.

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 06-June 03
Could it possibly look here in the registry for the expected version:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNET EXPLORER
Build: xxxxx.xxxx (mine is 62800.1106)
Posted Image

nickv

nickv
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04

What patch would this be? Is it one issued by Windows Update, or are you installing a patch you downloaded at an earlier time and decided to install manually?

Hello Aron,

The patch in question is 818857 published Sept 2003 for more info see Windows knowledge Base Article 818857.

I downloaded it directly (rather than through WinUpdate) last weekend.

Further to Homiebrah's reply my reg entries for both build and version number are also 6.0.2800.1106

Nick

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
That patch isn't necessary if you have 824145 installed. You should also check your version of Urlmon.dll and compare it across the two knowledge base articles.

Higher is better, and 824145 is the latest cumulative patch for any version of IE6 SP1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN