Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 Release Candidate (build 7100) ERROR

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
CRAP :realmad:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970789

In the English version of Windows 7 Release Candidate (build 7100) 32-bit Ultimate, the folder that is created as the root folder of the system drive (%SystemDrive%) is missing entries in its security descriptor. One effect of this problem is that standard users such as non-administrators cannot perform all operations to subfolders that are created directly under the root. Therefore, applications that reference folders under the root may not install successfully or may not uninstall successfully. Additionally, operations or applications that reference these folders may fail.

WORKAROUND
If you want to manually apply a fix that replicates the functionality of the hotfix, run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
Can't get it to paste right here

Edited by maxXPsoft, 08 May 2009 - 07:22 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

fizban2

fizban2

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,900 posts
this is why you should just go 64-bit ;)

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

this is why you should just go 64-bit ;)

So let me get this straight, because of this error (which will be fixed in the final release) we have to move to 64 bit?

What if I they found that error with the 64 bit, does that mean that you would have moved to 32 bit?

Don't be ridiculous

Edit: only thing that sux about this update is it cannot be applied to an offline image, you have to manually do it but thats easy

Edited by ricktendo64, 11 May 2009 - 11:23 AM.

steven4554

steven4554

• PipPip
  • 280 posts
Not really, you can download it from here.

Edited by steven4554, 12 May 2009 - 02:31 PM.

My Updates Lists for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update

My desktop specs (all to be upgraded some time this year):-

CPU: AMD PhenomII X2 555 at 3.2Ghz (Upgrade to AMD FX-6300 Black Edition at 3.5Ghz)
M/B: Asus M5A87
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz (upgrade to 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz)
HDD: 120GB SanDisk Extreme SSD (Add 1TB Seagate SSHD)
GPU: 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeforceGTX Ti 550

Optical: Samsung DVD-ROM and Samsung 24x DVD rewriter (Upgrade to BD-ROM and BD rewriter)

ricktendo

ricktendo

• 2,295 posts

Note You cannot apply this hotfix offline. For information about how to apply this change to offline images, see the "Offline instructions" section later in this document.

Edited by ricktendo64, 11 May 2009 - 11:58 AM.

TheSickman

TheSickman

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Note You cannot apply this hotfix offline. For information about how to apply this change to offline images, see the "Offline instructions" section later in this document.

Oops i already did the

Dism /image:C:\VISTAWORK\MOUNT\ /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\VISTAWORK\UPDATES\Win7RC\Windows6.1-KB970858-x86-RC.cab"

and it looks like its all fine

**EDIT**
but it isn't

Edited by TheSickman, 11 May 2009 - 02:43 PM.

ricktendo

ricktendo

• 2,295 posts

Offline instructions
The following instructions apply to the technician who modifies images offline before deployment and before installing applications in the image.

Mount or apply the target image, and then run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
cacls <path to root dir on mounted wim> /S:D:PAI(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;OICIIO;GA;;;BA)(A;;FA;;;SY)(A;OICIIO;GA;;;SY)(A;OICI;0x1200a9;;;BU)(A;OICIIO;S
DGXGWGR;;;AU)(A;;LC;;;AU)
icacls <path to root drive on mounted wim> /setintegritylevel (OI)(NP)(IO)H

If you have to apply settings to any user-created folders off the root in the WIM image file, mount or apply the target image, and then run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
Cd <path to directory in the WIM that you want to apply changes to>
cacls <path to directory in the WIM that you want to apply changes to/S:D:AI

TheSickman

TheSickman

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
yah i noticed

so i guess its gunna be

DISM /image:C:\VISTAWORK\MOUNT\ /Remove-Package /PackageName:Package_for_KB970789~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.1 /PackageName:Package_for_KB970789~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.1

and don't put it in
saves me a lot of agony :D

Edited by TheSickman, 11 May 2009 - 10:39 PM.

ricktendo

ricktendo

• 2,295 posts
HMMMM I wonder:

If I use the command above to set the security attrib of my folder then I do a fresh install, I wonder if MU will pester me to install KB970789?

If somebody tries this with WAIK I would like to know...oh and please post the command you used because I am unsure what to make of this <path to root dir on mounted wim> and <path to root drive on mounted wim>

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts

this is why you should just go 64-bit

64 for what?
what program on this planet do i need that only run's 64? Autocad, Rockwell, My Rock and Roll ain't on that list. This 32 Seven sings on my junky PC although I can go 64 also but why should I?
I d/l both and we have a year almost to play with this RC but I'll probably break before then and buy, Seven yes but Vista No

yeah since i posted that I been trying to figure it out myself
did do a workaround where when desk loads in Audituser I elevate a command prompt and run a cmd file. think thats correct

Offline instructions
The following instructions apply to the technician who modifies images offline before deployment and before installing applications in the image.

Mount or apply the target image, and then run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

now how do you get an elevated cmd prompt on the image, still toying with that

Attached Files

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN