Windows 7 Release Candidate (build 7100) ERROR

CRAP :realmad:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970789

In the English version of Windows 7 Release Candidate (build 7100) 32-bit Ultimate, the folder that is created as the root folder of the system drive (%SystemDrive%) is missing entries in its security descriptor. One effect of this problem is that standard users such as non-administrators cannot perform all operations to subfolders that are created directly under the root. Therefore, applications that reference folders under the root may not install successfully or may not uninstall successfully. Additionally, operations or applications that reference these folders may fail.

WORKAROUND

If you want to manually apply a fix that replicates the functionality of the hotfix, run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

Can't get it to paste right here

Edited by maxXPsoft

this is why you should just go 64-bit ;)

So let me get this straight, because of this error (which will be fixed in the final release) we have to move to 64 bit?

What if I they found that error with the 64 bit, does that mean that you would have moved to 32 bit?

Don't be ridiculous

Edit: only thing that sux about this update is it cannot be applied to an offline image, you have to manually do it but thats easy

Edited by ricktendo64

Note You cannot apply this hotfix offline. For information about how to apply this change to offline images, see the "Offline instructions" section later in this document.
Edited by ricktendo64

Note You cannot apply this hotfix offline. For information about how to apply this change to offline images, see the "Offline instructions" section later in this document.

Oops i already did the

Dism /image:C:\VISTAWORK\MOUNT\ /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\VISTAWORK\UPDATES\Win7RC\Windows6.1-KB970858-x86-RC.cab"

and it looks like its all fine

**EDIT**

but it isn't

Edited by TheSickman

Offline instructions

The following instructions apply to the technician who modifies images offline before deployment and before installing applications in the image.

Mount or apply the target image, and then run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

cacls <path to root dir on mounted wim> /S:D:PAI(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;OICIIO;GA;;;BA)(A;;FA;;;SY)(A;OICIIO;GA;;;SY)(A;OICI;0x1200a9;;;BU)(A;OICIIO;S

DGXGWGR;;;AU)(A;;LC;;;AU)

icacls <path to root drive on mounted wim> /setintegritylevel (OI)(NP)(IO)H

If you have to apply settings to any user-created folders off the root in the WIM image file, mount or apply the target image, and then run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

Cd <path to directory in the WIM that you want to apply changes to>

cacls <path to directory in the WIM that you want to apply changes to/S:D:AI

yah i noticed

so i guess its gunna be

DISM /image:C:\VISTAWORK\MOUNT\ /Remove-Package /PackageName:Package_for_KB970789~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.1 /PackageName:Package_for_KB970789~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.1

and don't put it in

saves me a lot of agony :D

Edited by TheSickman

HMMMM I wonder:

If I use the command above to set the security attrib of my folder then I do a fresh install, I wonder if MU will pester me to install KB970789?

If somebody tries this with WAIK I would like to know...oh and please post the command you used because I am unsure what to make of this <path to root dir on mounted wim> and <path to root drive on mounted wim>

this is why you should just go 64-bit

64 for what?

what program on this planet do i need that only run's 64? Autocad, Rockwell, My Rock and Roll ain't on that list. This 32 Seven sings on my junky PC although I can go 64 also but why should I?

I d/l both and we have a year almost to play with this RC but I'll probably break before then and buy, Seven yes but Vista No

yeah since i posted that I been trying to figure it out myself

did do a workaround where when desk loads in Audituser I elevate a command prompt and run a cmd file. think thats correct

Offline instructions

The following instructions apply to the technician who modifies images offline before deployment and before installing applications in the image.

Mount or apply the target image, and then run the following command from an elevated command prompt:

now how do you get an elevated cmd prompt on the image, still toying with that

RCfix.txt