Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Problems accessing msfn.org

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
For about a moth, I'm unable to enter the msfn.org. I've tried different DNS servers with the same results. The same problem exists from many locations and different Internet services providers. I can access the msfn.org by using US proxy server, only.

I'm starting to believe the whole Poland is affected.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,128 posts
Yes, it was. Poland was blocked because of few users who tried to destroy msfn with posting hundreds spam posts every day on forums. We tried everything to block those users but without success. They used a lot of different IP's from Poland that we couldn't keep up with blocking. We have a real life too and can't stay behind a keyboard 24/7. This is private site (and cost money) and we all do this on a free basis. If this continue this way, along with another (financial) issues, we will just shut it down. Simple as that.

Best regards

p.s. Poland can now access msfn.org.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Become an MSFN Sponsor Now! Keep Up MSFN Running

Read MSFN Forum Rules
Not a member? Donate here!

Dude112

Dude112

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts

If this continue this way, along with another (financial) issues, we will just shut it down. Simple as that.

Gosh i hope not..

This is the BEST site of its kind on the internet!!

Please dont be afraid to ask for help XPER (Donations) ..

Please dont take this site away from us just because people are abusing things and making it hard!!

Have you tried to put ALOT OF CAPTHA's on the signup page?? (Maybe manually approving new members (As another site i am on has done for the same reason))

You have worked A VERY LONG TIME on this project and it would be very sad to see it go away..

I am very sad to see your message above and i hope it doesnt lead to anything bad... I love this site and of all other sites im on of this type,none come close to this one!

Things are getting very bad (Economy,etc) and i hope this site doesnt suffer for it... (Like everything else is)

What can we do to help you???

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Yes, it was. Poland was blocked because of few users who tried to destroy msfn with posting hundreds spam posts every day on forums. We tried everything to block those users but without success. They used a lot of different IP's from Poland that we couldn't keep up with blocking.

The largest Internet access services provider in poland is TP. Their main offer is ADSL with dynamic IP. The TP keeps track of what IP was used by whom in what time period, so it is possible to track a "villain" down and prosecute accordingly. The TP has a right to disconnect the user violating the law, as well. By knowing the IP used it should be possible to track down the provider and perhaps the country region, as TP does use different IP ranges for them.

Perhaps, an official investigation will be the most effective tool to get the "punk" stopped.

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
The MSFN related DNS queries stopped working again. So, I can safely assume the attack from the Polish IP space was made, again.

Perhaps I could be of some assistance with legal actions against the attacker. But, the first thing to do would be to find out what company is the the Internet access service provider of the attacker.

Dude112

Dude112

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
Do you have a STATIC IP??

If so,maybe you can give that to XPER and he can unblock just YOUR ip??

Edited by Dude112, 20 May 2009 - 03:15 AM.

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Yes, the LAN I'm accessing the MSFN from does have a static IP, indeed. But, It looks like everything started to work correcly, again.

Dude112

Dude112

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
Its quite sad when steps like this have to be taken..

I do believe most spam comes from the USA and with BUSH signing the "Can spam" act it just made things worse.....

It glad its loading fine for ya again :)

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,790 posts
All the crap they have been getting is from Poland. They REALLY HATE the 98\ME Custom forum...

Dude112

Dude112

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
Hmmmmmm

I wonder if they are making it look like it was from poland..... (Could be)

Its understandable why XPER blocked poland!!

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts

I wonder if they are making it look like it was from poland..... (Could be)

Nope. It was definitely from Poland.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
We've done our research, and we're working with authorities. They were definitely Poles, posting from Poland. We know who they are, hopefully this will be resolved soon.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

Dude112

Dude112

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
Its too bad people have to try and ruin things :(

I saw a spam thread the other day here,thank you for keeping up with it Guys :)

Edited by Dude112, 24 May 2009 - 09:09 AM.

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I'm do not have any proof, but the whole case seems to be related to Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack wars.

Dude112

Dude112

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
Seems like they dislike Win98/98se and i dont really know why!!

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,790 posts

Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack wars.

Exactly right.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 26 May 2009 - 03:52 AM.

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Well, that's not the case.

There is another version of the Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack made by a small group of polish people (I would rather say teenagers because of their language habbits). The core of their distribution is the good old USP 2.1 from Gape. They added some themes, utilities and made some improvements through resource editing. Then presented their creation as USP 4.x

So, they are Windows 98 fans, as well. But, they do not like the MSFN, as their creation got significant amount of bad opinions here.

The term "Windows 98 USP wars" is my own name of the USP related flame war. Apparently, the changes introduced in the "new" polish USP edition were not considered as significanly usable by the majority of the local community. The Gape refused to include the changes in his package, as well. The flame war was suppressed by moderators, as far as I remember.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,758 posts

Donator

Is Gape the same person as Pablo? SP+ has gone well beyond flame wars against Pablo and his group.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I can not remind the Pablo, while the Gape nick name is still in use.

After posting a few comments about Unofficial Service Pack Plus, I tried to keep away from the flames. There was no point in arguing with people preferring quantity over the quality, I believe.

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
The old problem is back, I suppose. I have to use the proxy server, again.

Is it really necesary to block the whole country IP range?

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,844 posts

Donator

At present, unfortunately, yes. :(
However, since you said you have stactic IP, maybe we can find a way to whitelist your IP.
Please do PM me with your IP number.
I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this is causing all our long-standing and valued Polish members.
I'm glad, however, that you remain with us! It's good to have you around. You rock! :thumbup

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I've sent the IP, but I do not know if just one IP will be enough. As, I do not know how the DNS servers of my Internrt services provider are working.

Also, I'm curious, if I will be able to receive E-Mail notifications.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,844 posts

Donator

I've sent you a PM, Sfor! :hello: Did you receive it?

Sfor

Sfor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Yes, I did.

The DNS was not working for me, at first. But, now it is working as expected.

I'm not receiving any E-Mail notifications, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN