[Release] Internet Explorer 8 x64 AddOn v2015-07_1

Problem found. :)

The file name of the archive must not contain the word "entries". Try a file name of "IE8Tweaks.7z". It works for me.

To summarize: For nLite to process the Tweaks INI correctly...

1. ...it must be compressed/archived. If it is not archived you will experience the following symptoms:

1. Any folders in the same directory as the INI file will be copied to AMD64.
    2. If any other INI files exist in the same directory then unpredictable results may occur. The intended INI may not be processed and you may receive errors from nLite.

3. ...the file name of the archive must not contain the word "entries". If it does then nLite will not decompress the archive, nLite will not find the Tweaks INI file, and you will receive the following error from nLite:
      H-Object reference not set to an instance of an object. [...]

A details link to this post has been added to the first post regarding this issue. Thanks for your help in troubleshooting this, johnhc. Please let me know of any other problems.
Edited by 5eraph

5eraph, great! It looks like this process is fraught with problems. Thanks much for chasing them all down. I will build an ISO shortly and update this post as to the results. Thanks, John.

EDIT: I built an ISO with your altered tweaks ini and with my two large tweaks (IE8 settings, about 2500 lines total) added and installed it on my VM. All seems to work well. Thanks much for your help! Enjoy, John

Edited by johnhc

5eraph, you mention on page one that QFECheck was used to verify updates. I have DLed (Windows DL Center) both the x86 and x64 versions and had no luck. The x64 version (really IA64) says it is not compatible with my OS (makes sense) and the x86 version says it cannot find Hal.dll if I execute the DLed file, and "SP2 but no updates" if I execute QFECheck.exe inside. Do you have a source of one that works on XP x64? Thanks, John.

The latest known version of QFECheck.exe can be found at KB823393 in the MPSRPT_PFE.exe package. Within you will find an x64 version of QFECheck as well as x86 and IA64 versions—IA64 is short for Intel's Itanium architecture and is not the same as AMD's x86-64 or Intel's EM64T, generically known as x64. ;)

You can also find it in my update pack.

Edited by 5eraph

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I want to integrate your addon in my version of windows XP x64 (i've simply added the update),but i've a problem.

I add the IE8addon+update with nlite and i install the ISO in my VM.

When i use windows update he wants to download the compaibility list and the update pack of ie8.

How i can solve this problem? i'm sure i integrate the ie8addon+updates.

thank you!

5eraph, do you, by any chance, also have your tweaks translated into .REG format? Sure I can do the conversion myself, but I reckon you would have done it the other way around already, so..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updated to 2009-09_1. Please read the Changelog for full details.

If Microsoft keeps with their schedule of IE updates every other month then we can expect v2009-09_1 to be very short-lived...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No single tool besides my own brain. ;)

• I checked the files in the IE8 installer against the files on my XPx64 source disc to split them into two groups: those that would replace preexisting files, and those that would need to be added as new files. With over 250 files, this was the most tedious and time-consuming part.
    All of the new source files then needed to be segregated into DLLs and non-DLLs. Most non-DLLs ended up in IE8.CAB within the addon for installation through 5erIE8.inf. I used jdoe's
CAB Tool to create IE8.CAB for use in the addon. The rest of the new source files needed entries added to entries_IE8x64.ini which was written from scratch.
I then checked update.inf within the installer to see where all the files that needed to be added would be installed. My INF (5erIE8.inf) is a heavily modified version of the original update.inf. I removed all unused sections, then removed entries in the INF for most preexisting files and new source DLLs since entries_IE8x64.ini would handle the chore of installing the new DLLs. And I added some sections used by others such as Sereby, YumeYao and MrNxDmX custom-tailored to XPx64.
Some editing of the original ie.inf source file was necessary for Windows to recognize the new IE version. The edited file was added to the addon.
7-Zip was used to package all of the files into a single addon.
Finally, much testing with VMware Server 1.0.9 to make sure everything works as it should. :)

This isn't a complete history of the steps I took, or the troubleshooting that was performed. But it does basically describe the process I used.

Edited by 5eraph