• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.

[Release] Internet Explorer 8 x64 AddOn v2015-07_1

109 posts in this topic

Updated to 2009-09_1. Please read the Changelog for full details.

If Microsoft keeps with their schedule of IE updates every other month then we can expect v2009-09_1 to be very short-lived...

I am curious what tool did you use to create this addon?

No single tool besides my own brain. ;)

• I checked the files in the IE8 installer against the files on my XPx64 source disc to split them into two groups: those that would replace preexisting files, and those that would need to be added as new files. With over 250 files, this was the most tedious and time-consuming part.
    All of the new source files then needed to be segregated into DLLs and non-DLLs. Most non-DLLs ended up in IE8.CAB within the addon for installation through 5erIE8.inf. I used jdoe's
CAB Tool to create IE8.CAB for use in the addon. The rest of the new source files needed entries added to entries_IE8x64.ini which was written from scratch.
I then checked update.inf within the installer to see where all the files that needed to be added would be installed. My INF (5erIE8.inf) is a heavily modified version of the original update.inf. I removed all unused sections, then removed entries in the INF for most preexisting files and new source DLLs since entries_IE8x64.ini would handle the chore of installing the new DLLs. And I added some sections used by others such as Sereby, YumeYao and MrNxDmX custom-tailored to XPx64.
Some editing of the original ie.inf source file was necessary for Windows to recognize the new IE version. The edited file was added to the addon.
7-Zip was used to package all of the files into a single addon.
Finally, much testing with VMware Server 1.0.9 to make sure everything works as it should. :)

This isn't a complete history of the steps I took, or the troubleshooting that was performed. But it does basically describe the process I used.

Edited by 5eraph

5eraph, I only have three letters for you: W O W !!!

Can KB898461 be included in IE8 addon pack? It exists only for 32 bit.

Edited by atolica

Thanks, Sp0iLedBrAt. :)

I'd consider adding it if Microsoft had an XPx64 installation package available for it, atolica, but I can't find one on support.microsoft.com, download.microsoft.com, or any reference to such a package within WindowsUpdate.log in %SystemRoot%.

If I could find a package for it, though, it would end up in the update pack. KB898461 is an operating system update, not an update for Internet Explorer.

Updated to 2009-10_2. Please read the Changelog for full details.

Edited by 5eraph

I have renamed the IE8Tweaks.ini file without entries and 7z'ed it and yet nLite rejects it:

I get Unsupported file.

Compress the file first with 7-Zip or WinRAR, then rename the archive containing the file.

Updated to 2010-01_1. Please read the Changelog for full details.

Edited by 5eraph

Updated to 2010-01_2. Please read the Changelog for full details.

Edited by 5eraph

Is there a fix for the driver signing dialog (during the windows installation); I applied this fix after using nLite to do 80 some hotfixes and am nagged a few times by it (and I dont think it was the IE addon that you made causing them)?

Edited by mMiniImManN