Do you trust Comodo

In the last 5-6 years, I've seen several reputable companies join up with some very questionable partners. Shortly afterwards, their products and services start going downhill. I haven't used Comodo products but I was considering trying out their software on a test unit. The incident with the ask.com toolbar pretty much made me decide against it. This latest incident has guaranteed that I will never install their products on any PC, mine or a clients. How good a piece of software might be doesn't matter if you don't feel that you can trust the vendor. I can forgive coding errors, missed detections, software conflicts, and similar problems, at least to a point. When a company starts compromising their integrity or lowering/violating their own standards for quick money, that I don't forgive.

Software isn't like physical goods. We can't look at the box, the install CD, or the downloaded file for any indications of its quality. All we have is advertising, test results (possibly biased, often just more advertising), and feedback from other users that we've never met. On the internet, separating fact from fiction and truth from hype/advertising isn't easy. When a company's integrity and motives are repeatedly questioned, it's very difficult to trust their software, especially when it's a combined, standalone package. No matter how good Comodo software might be, they've already done serious, possibly irreparable damage to their image and reputation. With software, there's nothing that matters more.

Rick

In the last 5-6 years, I've seen several reputable companies join up with some very questionable partners. Shortly afterwards, their products and services start going downhill. I haven't used Comodo products but I was considering trying out their software on a test unit. The incident with the ask.com toolbar pretty much made me decide against it. This latest incident has guaranteed that I will never install their products on any PC, mine or a clients. How good a piece of software might be doesn't matter if you don't feel that you can trust the vendor. I can forgive coding errors, missed detections, software conflicts, and similar problems, at least to a point. When a company starts compromising their integrity or lowering/violating their own standards for quick money, that I don't forgive.

Software isn't like physical goods. We can't look at the box, the install CD, or the downloaded file for any indications of its quality. All we have is advertising, test results (possibly biased, often just more advertising), and feedback from other users that we've never met. On the internet, separating fact from fiction and truth from hype/advertising isn't easy. When a company's integrity and motives are repeatedly questioned, it's very difficult to trust their software, especially when it's a combined, standalone package. No matter how good Comodo software might be, they've already done serious, possibly irreparable damage to their image and reputation. With software, there's nothing that matters more.

Rick

I just read your post and what you said is very true and well written.

Unfortunately a lot of people still make purchasing decisions based on the packaging and not reputation. :rolleyes:

Personally I dont like it at all its a pain in the butt to remove for one thing, Im currently using ESS along with other security softwareand I have not had an infection in over 8 months or more.

My security is as follows;

Eset Smart Security v4.0.424.86

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware v1.36

Spybot - Search & Destroy v1.6.2.47

SpywareBlaster v4.2

Super Anti-Spyware v4.26.1002 (free edition)