How to change windows 7 setup background.

• 2 weeks later...
You must edit:

- DVD sources\spwizimg.dll 517 and 518

- DVD sources\boot.wim\sources\spwizimg.dll 517 and 518

- DVD sources\background_svr.bmp

- DVD sources\boot.wim\sources\background_svr.bmp

As always, test ISO in VMware before wasting a DVD.

Also might want to look into changing img0.jpg and edit imageres.dll inside Install.wim so that you theme/background was available on first boot. Think it was images # 5031-5043 in imageres.dll (images 5044-5056 were R2 logon screens)

Edited by MrJinje

• 2 months later...

An d i have also the same problem. (sorry for my english)

I have edit:

- DVD sources\spwizimg.dll 517 and 518

- DVD sources\boot.wim\sources\spwizimg.dll 517 and 518

- DVD sources\background_cli.bmp

- DVD sources\boot.wim\sources\background.bmp (here i can find only a backround.bmp not a backround_cli.bmp)

And the same problem like Olive89 and Adadu.

post-245271-1263201214_thumb.jpg

beatmaster

they moved it but this will get most of it http://www.msfn.org/board/win-7-replace-bo...ns-t140340.html

Now i edit the "imageres.dll" in the install.wim .

Once I post now my results with screens:

After I created an ISO and started with Virtualbox.

Here the Screen of the First Start:

Zwischenablage01.jpg

Now i KLICK on "NEXT" and "INSTALL" and the new background is loaded:

Zwischenablage02.jpg

Then by input the EULA my background looks like:

Zwischenablage03.jpg

Why is this now the picture is set the input window as a direct background ?

After the first Reboot, all backgrounds are "gone". Now the originals background was set. See this:

Zwischenablage04.jpg

Then after second Reboot, the new background was loaded, not only the background for the input window. See this:

Zwischenablage05.jpg

can you help me ?

beatmaster

can you help me ?

beatmaster

I include in my download a file called Timeline.txt which basically says same thing as what was happening with you.

Them other screens haven't been hacked yet, if you can figure all or some of it out then let us all know

• 1 month later...

@maxXPsoft

With dll you modify so you have your own Backround on this time of the windows 7 setup ?

LINK

I read in this thread from:

arunimg.dll

spwizmg.dll

w32uiimg.dll

wdsimage.dll

??

beatmaster

Edited by beatmaster

I've removed and am updating my 7backgrounds stuff but that was the spwizimg.dll which I updated in

MountDir & "\Windows\System32\

64 also get this

MountDir & "\Windows\SysWOW64\

Has to be done correctly I finally figured out. I no longer see any of that MS image in the background. :thumbup no more of that image

But you are mount the boot.wim and then you changed there the spwizimg.dll ? But i can`t found the spwizimg.dll in Windows\System32 or SysWOW64 ?

I thought we must only chnaged the spwizimg.dll when i mount the boot.wim ?

Now we must also mount the install.wim and there we must changed the spwizimg.dll and the imagers.dll ?

beatmaster

But you are mount the boot.wim and then you changed there the spwizimg.dll ? But i can`t found the spwizimg.dll in Windows\System32 or SysWOW64 ?

I thought we must only chnaged the spwizimg.dll when i mount the boot.wim ?

Now we must also mount the install.wim and there we must changed the spwizimg.dll and the imagers.dll ?

beatmaster

Like I told Max, to change the image after the first reboot, you need to edit the install.wim spwizimg.dll copy. The boot.wim spwizimg.dll (and DVD\sources\spwizimg.dll for that matter) are only used for the initial boot, when installing from DVD or via setup.exe respectively. Everything after the first reboot is contained inside install.wim. That is why you have to change it in multiple places, because Microsoft included multiple copies in the installation process.

It's more like you have to customize two OS'es to fully control the process. The Boot.WIM is actually a self contained Windows PE OS, but it only controls the installation process up until the first reboot. After reboot, the boot.wim hands off to the spwizimg.dll inside the install.wim (now on the HDD), and the HDD controls the process from first reboot to first login.

Edited by MrJinje

Now only a little tip of me, how to change the user picture on the logon screen.

mount the install.wim an search for the file " user.bmp " . this ist the standard user picture of windows 7. Now overwrite this bmp-file with your own.

important:

your new user picture must have an resolution of 128x128 and 24bit an must be an bmb file. Also this new user picture must have the name " user-bmp" . When you have replaced the original you have your own new user picture on the logon screen after windows 7 installation. I have also saved the original with the name of user1.bmp.

Here the result:

Userpicture1.jpg

Userpicture3.jpg

beatmaster