Camp Taji Iraq US Comz

I have 1 cat5 drop to our 2 man room. The ISP is US COMZ ran by AAFES. Heres my connection info when i connect 1 PC to the outlet.

172.40.48.248 IP

255.255.255.255 Subnet

172.40.1.1 Gateway

When I attach the "line in" to the switch port, and plug the laptops to the rest of the switch ports. I get nothing. Any ideas.. Its like soon as I connect the "line in" the switch ports on the router stops functioning.

Thats what your CSSAMO is for :)

you said switch up top of the post and router at the bottom of the post. Can you supply the model(s) of the switch/router and describe the infrastructure at your location. Do they just have drops in your room and pay the $60 a month or did they supply with you a router as well?

and indeed it sucks when your ISP is the lowest bidder.

Sorry, let me clarify.

Its a belkin WGR614 v7.

im basically using it as a switch now, ignoring the WAN port. Its my router. By saying "line in" i mean the line that's comes into the room, it gets fed from a switch in the next room over.

172.40.48.248 IP

255.255.255.255 Subnet

172.40.1.1 Gateway

single node subnet, indicative of dial-up or dsl connection [edit: removed ? as I went googling and the web concurred]

When you plug a single pc into the netgear router (and the router into the 'line-in') and do an ipconfig /renew what is the return?

Edited by iamtheky

single node subnet, indicative of dial-up or dsl connection [edit: removed ? as I went googling and the web concurred]

You found sources that state that? I'm suspicious because 255.255.255.255 is not a valid mask due to it being a broadcast address. There are no 0 bits to differentiate the Network ID from the the Host IDs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk50...080093c77.shtml

Subnet Masks

The subnet mask is not needed in the point-to-point environment of dial.

Microsoft opted for showing the classful mask for that address as the subnet mask instead of leaving those fields blank. Typically, Windows NT 3.5 displays a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0; NT 3.51 (and higher), as well as Windows 95 and 98, display a classful mask depending on the IP address class, while Win2k and XP display a mask of 255.255.255.255.

Do not worry about this information if IP connectivity through the dial-up adapter is operating correctly.

For more information on subnet masks refer to the document IP Addressing and Subnetting for New Users.

Edited by iamtheky

Bah! What does Cisco know about networking? :P

I still think he should change this setting for two reasons:

1. He isn't on dial-up.

Do not worry about this information if IP connectivity through the dial-up adapter is operating correctly.