Internet Issues

joe43wv

I'm working on a laptop that's driving me insane!!! The system is running Windows Vista basic and can't connect to the internet. It is able to obtain an IP address, and can ping and resolve website addresses like google.com but other than that that's all the internet can do.

The web browser shows page cannot be displayed. When you type http://www.google.com, the page can't be displayed, when you type in www.google.com the page says, The address is not valid, and in the address bar it shows http:///. I've ran virus scans and nothing has shown up. AVG, Spybot both gave clean results. I ran CWShredder and it showed up clean as well. Firefox is installed on this device and it is not able to connect as well. I've cleaned out cookies and deleted temp. internet files, and set back default settings, still no go. It didn't have SP1 installed when it came to me, so I installed SP1 and still no luck. Could somebody PLEASE help me out?

OK, well it is assumed you do have an account with an ISP provider! Are you trying to connect via wireless or direct plug in LAN cable? Are you just using Windows firewall or another? Certainly disable the firewall to eliminate that. If you are using wireless try to get a LAN cable plug in and see if that works, it should be just insert and up pops a screen to ask what sort of connection you want (home or Public) and away you go.

ip6 protocol used to cause some connection problems, sometimes disabling that worked but don't try that first!

Can you see other computers on a LAN, in other words is the service to resolve network addresses working?

Check what services you have set to Auto but not started, in particular anything to do with Internet and NAT etc. Try manually starting them

Is the Modem/router you are using blocking this connection? Going into the Modem set-up page can you see the computer?

Edited by Kotuku

Yes, I do have an account with an ISP. I tried both at the customers house on their equip. and at my house w/ my equip. and same result. I've tried both wireless and hard wired at both locations and nothing is budging. It is running the Windows Firewall and I disabled that it still no luck. I did notice that Norton was installed on there at one time. I ran into a problem before where I had to run Norton removal tool to clear up an issue very similar to this but not sure if this is the same issue or not. I'll try disabling IP 6 and those last few suggestions and reply back with results.

Here's what I found so far after more testing:

Shut off IP6 no luck.

It can see the other computers on the network, both name and IP.

Neither router is blocking anything.

I am able to ping google.com as well as www.google.com

I don't think it's an internet explorer issue because firefox isn't working either. Is there anything I should try or should I just format and reinstall?