Product re attenuations

Edd-MJE

I have several computers that I let set for maybe a year or so then turn on to update these computers are back up computers for my work place I have noticed lately if I do update then let the system set on shelf for several months not to long the computer has to log online to re attenuate this becomes troubling because 3 of the computer are out of the area and in a location without internet all these box’s have legal software and this troubles me why this is taking place and with fear of a computer failing to work without having internet connection is not good is there a patch or what update did this some of these computers only get updates on schedule maintenance once a year now I find this just started to happened or I just noticed this where I have some computers that have sp3 installed and still not show issues of having to log the net to attenuation to be able to use the machine

Can anyone help with this problem what update did this and how do I fix this problem

Hmmm we MAY be able to help you if you can describe your problem a little bit better.

"Atenuation"? What does this mean? Reactivate? You should NEVER have to reactivate a legally activated systems OS once activated.

Some software (AV's mostly) do have licenses that expire. There really is no way around this.

I have several computers that I let set for maybe a year or so then turn on to update these computers are back up computers for my work place I have noticed lately if I do update then let the system set on shelf for several months not to long the computer has to log online to re attenuate this becomes troubling because 3 of the computer are out of the area and in a location without internet all these box’s have legal software and this troubles me why this is taking place and with fear of a computer failing to work without having internet connection is not good is there a patch or what update did this some of these computers only get updates on schedule maintenance once a year now I find this just started to happened or I just noticed this where I have some computers that have sp3 installed and still not show issues of having to log the net to attenuation to be able to use the machine

Can anyone help with this problem what update did this and how do I fix this problem

I know the windows is okay what i have is 6 Dells each having factory install software and 2 built computers and those have purchased software and one the software came directly from Redmond Wash now that happeneds is if the machine has been away from the internt too long the XP will not login untell I log online this has been going on now for over 6 mounths so i understand time trial ware but this is not it has somthing to do with updates i have 2 laptops that are over 2 years old and they work normal only the computers i have updated do this I also have one new computer 2 weeks old i cant tell only i'm going to turn it off today and wait for over 90 days and then we will know for sure

It has been a long time for me to post in this forum sorry i posted this 2 times i will try to go remove the other post I know other people have been saying the same think after they updated having windos go cracy on their laptops also setting too long away from the net the system needs to look at the net. soory but it is comming from some update or some bug floating around

You should NEVER have to reactivate a legally activated systems OS once activated the word reactivate is fine to use

This is not a issue for me i live close to Redmond wash about 150 miles and i have not a problem driving there with my software and computers one package came directly for Microsft years ago . this gos' undetected most people never question so what i have to log the net to make my computer work no big thing buy why now and what if "Igo out on the boat forget to log the internet now i can not watch my movie's "if this happened only to me i understand but some of my friends are saying they also having this same thing happened to them if their computer is not online or turned off for long time? maybe you can check and see what is going on Thanks for the help

Edited by Edd-MJE

Are you using a translator? I don't understand the part about "going out on the boat"... :wacko:

Go out on the boat I have an off shore boat that somtimes I take out for a stay liveaboard and the computer I use for navigation also for movies and checking e-mail

I did check the computer it seems fine This computer has not been updated in over a year and i fear not to do any more updates to this computer

The problem is like somthing to do with the new WGA program downladed some time this year 2009

If the computer is left off line for an extened period of time then Windows needs to look at the internet to be able to use the computer this can and will cause trouble down the line for people . All my computers have good software should be no reason for this to take place once I hook up to the internet things are back to normal

What I need is to find out how to stop this time limit on Windows I try very hard to keep my computers upto date and do things correctly?

I do have images of all the computers this I do each year the 3 computers that I updated this year all do this after setting for a few months I have to log the internet before using the computer I'm not positve how long the computers need to set before this happeneds by setting the date ahead i feel is a fause positve so what i have done is re image one computer I know has had this problem back to last years updates and left the other with changing anything and have set the computer back in the closet this fall i will turn them on to see what happeneds only i feel somthing has changed in the WGA this year and all I need to know is how to stop this from taking place on leagal installs this should never happened and everyone understands the need for updates .if the computer is used online .

The interesting part is tonight i was setting up a computer then all the updates the WGA installed then before all the updates had finished installing between reboots here comes another WGA install i stoped the second WGA install then when finished I installed windows defender and WMP11 with no problem and still the second WGA is waitting to install so not too sure i will allow the second WGA to install maybe that is what happened that is causing this timer effect on the Windows so if anyone knows why this is taking place I sure would like to know why and how to stop this not being able to use a XP computer if it is set off line too long ? so far once The computer sees the internet it works perfect a friend of mine 100 miles away has one computer he said did the same thing to him and i have 3 now that seem to time out ??

1) use ponctuation please. :D

2) be more precise about the exact behaviour, "failing to work", "will not login", "Windows needs to look at the internet to be able to use the computer", "I have to log the internet before using the computer ", "seem to time out",

-do you get any actual error message ? Or does it just stay or get you back to the "log on" screen, if any ?

If by time limits and WGA giving you problems, and the fact that its very difficult to understand you, I can only think of a couple of scenarios:

1. You need to reactivate Windows

2. You are using a demo or RC version of Windows

3. You are using a pirated copy of Windows and you were tricked into installing WGA

If you are sure it isn't a case of #2 or #3, you can run this command. It will either step you through activation or tell you it is already. You do not need internet access for this command, but if you don't then you'll need your COA handy and have to call the Microsoft phone number it shows you on the screen.

oobe/msoobe /a

From what I can gather, I think he is saying that Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications needs to phone home on occasion and since he is off the internet for so long WGAN cripples his computer or something.

Is MS really doing this to PC's with limited internet access? If so, delete WGAN and don't install it again. It's a useless pile of poo using psychological tricks to give people warm fuzzy feelings.

If by time limits and WGA giving you problems, and the fact that its very difficult to understand you, I can only think of a couple of scenarios:

2. You are using a demo or RC version of Windows

3. You are using a pirated copy of Windows and you were tricked into installing WGA

If you are sure it isn't a case of #2 or #3, you can run this command. It will either step you through activation or tell you it is already. You do not need internet access for this command, but if you don't then you'll need your COA handy and have to call the Microsoft phone number it shows you on the screen.

oobe/msoobe /a

2. Each computer has It’s own install CD “I store each computers CD’s inside their own case for safe keeping

3. Some of the computers manufactures are Dell some are HP and 2 are store clone built

4. Each computer has always passed the “WGA” and still will pass”WGA”

5. If setting over 90 days a splash screen appears need to reactivate windows will not go to welcome screen “Is hooded to the internet then not a problem

6. Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications needs to phone home on occasion and since he is off the internet for so long WGAN cripples his computer

7. Computers that were updated “10/12/2008 work perfect no problems other that needs new updates

8. Computers updated after 02/15/2009 all show problems if left off line over “90days”

9. A splash screen appears requesting “reactivate” I never read to close but I do remember it did look a lot like the screen you see if you go past” 30 days” the screen is all black with splash screen in center once the computer is connected to the internet then yes computer returns to normal

10. I understand people assume everyone is out to pirate Windows this is not the case .This is not the scenario I assure everyone I have” legal install” CD’s from factory of manufacture or purchased from retail stores and one CD came directly from Redmond Wash. “XP Professional Version 2002” “Gold CD”

11. Without being able to log online windows become “CRIPPLED” no options to do anything all I seen was “Splash screen” once connected to the internet computer returned to normal.

12. I was not tricked into installing “WGA” trusting it was the correct thing to do.

13. Not being warned that If the computer staid off line over 90 days the computer will be “Crippled” I cannot even use Office or anything ,makes for “concern.”

14. I first noticed this when I went to read a word doc. And passed it off as no problem then when I hooked of another computer that had been updated “02/16/2009 the same thing happened made me think what is going on?

15. The two computers are of different manufacture only thing in common was they both were updated within 24 hours of each other then both replaced in storage. Then later I turned on the third computer it also display the systems of being crippled. “updated sometime in “March first part of April 2009”

16. I remember years ago “2001-2002” in the spring of the year I turned on the auto updates and advised some of my friends to do the same thing that fall China and India and many other people their computers all went down because they were cheating and also the ones that did not have their computers up-to-date This was all over the NEWS and in the fall Microsoft released a patch and after thinking about the patch and why did some computer go down and other did not .Because they had been updating Windows This is very important do the updates The news reported that Microsoft had a fix and some of us already had the patch or fix If I remember correctly the update was in March and the problem hit China and India in Sept. or November the same year .

17. I have no problem with WGA I do have concerns of not being able to use my computer off line.

18. This is a unique problem Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications needs to phone home on occasion and since he is off the internet for so long WGAN cripples his computer Includes OEM DELL ,OEM HP, Retail 2002 ,OEM custom build’s “Local computer purchased and install “ all pass after connecting to internet.

19. The only other common denominator is each computer has been updated from the same IPS address in Bend Oregon is it possible that if too many computers are updated from the same IP address that Microsoft places a timer on every computer updated or log’s online from the IPS address?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

Scroll down to Manually uninstall WGA Notifications

Follow the instructions except leave legitcheckcontrol.dll alone as this is for Windows Genuine Advantage VALIDATION. You need that to download some files and do updates.

Import a reg file with these contents so it stops showing on Windows Update.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Hide windows geniune advantage notifications from windows update

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Genuine Advantage]
"InstallID"="{30F230D0-7940-499e-8A01-748682288985}"