Reported size of one CD has changed

matera

XP Pro SP3

This is a very strange situation. I started to copy a CD, one that I have made copies of before. The program (Deep Burner) froze after caching the files (that has never happened before), and after a while I gave up and hit the power switch. :(

Today, I decided to copy the files to the hard drive first and then create an iso, so I could make several copies faster with less chance of trouble.

The copied files read at 1.14 gigabytes!

I said "What tee eff" and checked the original CD: 1.14GB again. It should be around 549MB.

Other CD's are all right, Windwoes reads the right size -- it's only the one that was involved in the crash that is misread. Doesn't matter if it's the original CD or a copy on CD or HD, it's 1.14 gig. I've been cleaning temp files, combing the Registry, wottever. And yes, I've rebooted again since the mishap.

So, any ideas on what could be giving the wrong spin to that one CD? Where is Windows storing the erroneous data?

It's not a dire problem, I can do the copying on another machine. But I would certainly like to know why it happened, how it might happen again. And how to fix it :lol:

Edited by matera

There are advanced modes for making CDs that check for files appearing more than once. Those files are then only placed once on the cd but appear at their respective places on the file list. In that case, the cd can appear to contain more than it physically can.

I don't know if you've done it before in just the same way, but if you copy such cd by a drag and drop, it won't work.