Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Dropping a driver in Windows for PnP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

bender127

bender127

• 26 posts
Is it possible just to "drop a driver" in a Windows installation, and have it picked up by Plug n' Play?

For example, say I have a .inf, .sys and .cat file for a NIC. If copy the .inf and .cat files to the %systemroot%\inf folder, and the .sys file to the %systemroot%\system32 , will Windows automatically use this driver when I actually plug the NIC in? Or does the inf need to be tweaked for this?

If so (even with .inf tweaking), then is it possible to have a unattended install where your $OEM$ folder structure looks like this (ultimately reducing the number of paths for OemPnPDriversPath in unattended.ext)?:

\$OEM$
----\$$
--------\inf <- inf/cat file goes here
--------\system32 <- sys file goes here

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

neophyte

neophyte

*Purrrr*

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
No, you need to make a special folder for this.

Check out this guide:
http://unattended.MS.../xp/drivers.htm

Oh would someone please think of the children!

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
Its doubtful that would work. If I have some unintsalled hardware in my machine and I simply copy some uncrompressed drivers to their proper locations the hardware won't magically be installed.

You could put your INFs and SYS files into the INF and SYSTEM32 directories respectively, but you're going to need a txtsetup.oem file in your PnpDriversPath.

wait...scratch that. All the drivers need to be in the same subdir as txtsetup.oem.

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
It might work, but it would be easier to copy the files using txtsetup.sif. I'm not sure when the $OEM$ folder is copied over. Until it gets copied over, the drivers won't be available.

-gosh

bender127

bender127

• 26 posts
$OEM$ is copied over towards the end of text mode setup, after the inital file decompress but before reboot (i.e. right around when the hive*.inf files are copied).

I'm trying to add as many drivers to support NICs to my unattended disc, while keeping the drivers relatively organized (directories by vendor). This means a huge drivers path, unless I can bend the rules a bit...

I'll try it and see if it works....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN