Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
657 replies to this topic

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
why are you protecting these 2 files? U use media center, and most of the networking ?

windows\system32\tbs.dll
windows\system32\msoert2.dll

This one is not really needed b/c activation doesn't require it ne more it did at one time.

windows\system32\SCardDlg.dll

The unattended options aren't really good to have there either :sneaky:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

why are you protecting these 2 files? U use media center, and most of the networking ?

windows\system32\tbs.dll

This one is not really needed b/c activation doesn't require it ne more it did at one time.

windows\system32\SCardDlg.dll

The unattended options aren't really good to have there either :sneaky:

i keep tbs.dll coz i get an installation error regarding trusted platform. dont know why tho? msoert2.dll is kept for installing msn messenger 8.5. scard was kept for activation! :P

the unattended settings arent used at all in vlite but for some unknown reason it still shows up in the lastsession.ini

Edited by dead0, 11 June 2009 - 08:42 PM.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
OK this time i am rechecking game explorer and network explorer and just unchecked windows firewall but not ics service and ignored the warning. :unsure:

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

OK this time i am rechecking game explorer and network explorer and just unchecked windows firewall but not ics service and ignored the warning. :unsure:

keep ics! anything relating to windows firewall, you should keep!!!

im off to bed, will try x64 2moro & post my results here

Edited by dead0, 11 June 2009 - 08:44 PM.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
Added those two file protection entries to my preset and kept windows firewall and ics this time but removed game explorer and network explorer. Below are a list of the files that i have protected based on your input as well as Jeronimo. :yes:

windows\system32\tbs.dll
windows\system32\wer.dll
windows\system32\msdrm.dll
windows\system32\browcli.dll
windows\system32\winipsec.dll
windows\system32\werconcpl.dll
windows\system32\Magnification.dll

If there are any others please share will add them to main post then :thumbup

Bilar Crais

Bilar Crais

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
For what it's worth, the power applet is working again in 7229 x64, after vlite.
Biostar A770E3 | AMD Phenom II X4 945 | 4gb WINTEC AMPX 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 | Antec SLK3700-BQE | Zotac (Fermi) Zone Edition GT 430 | ATI RW | W7sp1x64 | (2) DMax 10 6L200SO SATA 7200rpm Striped

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05
Hey guys just my 2 cents. I used the super version as indicated in the parent post of this thread. I think I went a little conservative because there were some conflicts with services and some apps that were being removed so I allowed those to be added back in. My final install size on a vm is 5.4 gb and my image size is around 1.86 gb. I am using W7 x64 7229 right now.

So far the only thing I have noted and that is cosmetic is the Gadgets icon when you right click on the desktop.

Also I noticed that the resource monitor is gone as well...thats a bummer because I definitely would like to have that back. I am guessing for that to work I need to not remove the performance counters?

Also another thing I noticed in the event logs is that the Print Spooler had 2 errors upon initializing...it was looking for tcpmon.

Edited by suryad, 12 June 2009 - 01:28 AM.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

you could try this batch file for x64 for my guide! seems to be working in removing the packages? the wim tweak also seems to work too? unfortunately, the testing in vmware takes too long as im using a 32bit OS as my main system!

ps this will be my only test with x64 as its too time consuming in vmware! :P

Edited by dead0, 12 June 2009 - 08:53 AM.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08

For what it's worth, the power applet is working again in 7229 x64, after vlite.

Thank you Bilar Crais and now i can confirm this as well :thumbup :yes:

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08

Hey guys just my 2 cents. I used the super version as indicated in the parent post of this thread. I think I went a little conservative because there were some conflicts with services and some apps that were being removed so I allowed those to be added back in. My final install size on a vm is 5.4 gb and my image size is around 1.86 gb. I am using W7 x64 7229 right now.

So far the only thing I have noted and that is cosmetic is the Gadgets icon when you right click on the desktop.

Also I noticed that the resource monitor is gone as well...thats a bummer because I definitely would like to have that back. I am guessing for that to work I need to not remove the performance counters?

Also another thing I noticed in the event logs is that the Print Spooler had 2 errors upon initializing...it was looking for tcpmon.

Yes the gadgets have been removed. So i knew about that one. The resource monitor you need to keep a few things

Services (Diagnostics)
System (Performance Counters)
System (Reliability and Performance Monitor)

Google tcpmon and you need to protect those files inside vlite.

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

you could try this batch file for x64 for my guide! seems to be working in removing the packages? the wim tweak also seems to work too? unfortunately, the testing in vmware takes too long as im using a 32bit OS as my main system!

ps this will be my only test with x64 as its too time consuming in vmware! :P

actually looks like the batch file does not fully work so ignore it neither does the wim tweak? will stick with 32bit testing for now....

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
You cannot remove Game Explorer with this build :no: :(

Edited by liquid0624, 12 June 2009 - 11:41 AM.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
removed the TPM.dll from the protect list b/c it forces you to keep the TPM service.
shouldn't really need this file unless you are planning on utilizing bit locker encryption.

windows\system32\wer.dll
windows\system32\msdrm.dll
windows\system32\browcli.dll
windows\system32\winipsec.dll
windows\system32\werconcpl.dll
windows\system32\Magnification.dll

Currently experimenting with trying to remove windows firewall, internet connection sharing service, network list service as well as network location awareness service and then i should be able to update the presets in the first post. :thumbup B)

Removing the stuff in the above statement didn't work now trying all of the 4 besides internet connection sharing will post back. :blink:

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05
Hey guys I keep getting a Load Driver popup saying that ' a required dvd/cd drive device driver is missing...etc etc.' when I am trying to run the vlited dvd in my system. You have any idea how to circumvent that problem?

dead0

dead0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06

Hey guys I keep getting a Load Driver popup saying that ' a required dvd/cd drive device driver is missing...etc etc.' when I am trying to run the vlited dvd in my system. You have any idea how to circumvent that problem?

make sure you have setup.exe in the sources folder, otherwise copy the setup.exe from the sources folder in original iso to the sources folder of the vlited dvd

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08

Did you remove Manual Install (Setup.exe)? Do you have a raid, if not what kind of hard drive controller you have? Maybe u removed the Driver under Storage that you need.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
lol we answered that one at the same time :thumbup

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

make sure you have setup.exe in the sources folder, otherwise copy the setup.exe from the sources folder in original iso to the sources folder of the vlited dvd

Hmm **** that sounds like quite an important step! Wonder how I missed that! I was wondering if I was doing something else wrong like installing vlite 1.1 and then slapping 1.2 on top of it to bypass the waik requirement...or removing the games or the windows beep. Looks like I am gonna try all over again. Thanks for the pointer!

If I have not mentioned this before let me do it right now but thanks for the super fast replies fellas! Cheers! I will try what you suggested and post back if it worked!

Edited by suryad, 12 June 2009 - 07:38 PM.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
use the xtreme v2 preset and work your way down from there. You can remove the games just not the explorer and windows beep can be removed as well.

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

use the xtreme v2 preset and work your way down from there. You can remove the games just not the explorer and windows beep can be removed as well.

Thanks for that suggestion. I did remove all the drivers but then I did download the latest windows 7 x64 drivers from the nvidia website and am integrating into vlite so that should work if I recall.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
You running a 780 sli board ? I am running a 790 sli board :) What i do is just copy the sataraid and sataide folders under the IDE directory after u extract the drivers to a new folder in the root of the install directory then load them using the browse feature during the install.

:yes: B) :P

Edited by liquid0624, 12 June 2009 - 07:46 PM.

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

You running a 780 sli board ? I am running a 790 sli board :) What i do is just copy the sataraid and sataide folders under the IDE directory after u extract the drivers to a new folder in the root of the install directory then load them using the browse feature during the install.

:yes: B) :P

Good tip I will keep that in mind just in case this one does not work. I did notice that the setup.exe file was missing from the sources folder and so I dropped that in there from the original and now I am burning another dvd lol through vlite and keeping my fingers crossed :)

I really appreciate all the advice though.

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05
Bugger still did not work even with copying the setup.exe file over!

Edited by suryad, 12 June 2009 - 07:55 PM.

liquid0624

liquid0624

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 19-November 08
Check your PM box before you burn, and also why don't u install from a flash drive ? Save those discs :)

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05
Sent you a PM liquid thanks a bazillion ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users