Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

I understand the cosmetic reasons because of the remote settings under system properties and the shortcuts on the start menu. Packages using the DISM tutorial u mean or under vlite im still getting 202 using vlite. Working on my first test now wish me good luck.

when i ran the install wim tweak, it was showing 264 or so with 7201 & now, it shows 357? with 7229

I using your mini-guide right now. The correct value is 364 packages for 7229 x86.

One question: Your batch file remove 72 packages befor vLite. Is possible to remove more packages with DISM ?

theres a few other packages which you can remove such as gpu pipeline, netfx, windows media player, ie8 (but not recommmended)...

ps ...but i believe, most of those 364 are actually the features & not packages? if you run the /get-packages command after removing with the batch file, theres not many packages left?

@dead0

can you list all the removable packages.. without failing the installation of the OS thx..

as I also experimenting on it also but no luck

if you see my mini-guide in this thread, the batch file lists the safest ones to delete?

i try to run ded0's guide..

but i can't understand what to do with this line

from a cmd prompt, run install_wim_tweak.exe /m & then type c:\s2

Also i installed KB3AIK_EN (WAIK tools for windows 7 RC)

Thanks for the help!

Any1 please help ? xD

Edited by linkinarios

i try to run ded0's guide..

Also i installed KB3AIK_EN (WAIK tools for windows 7 RC)

Thanks for the help!

Any1 please help ? xD

you do not need waik tools for w7 just waik 1.1 (for vista). install wim tweak is a small utility to take ownership of the registry so it allows you to remove the packages with the batch file

here's a temporary guide:

tools required: WAIK 1.1, gimagex (optional), vlite 1.2

all must be installed!

nb. this method has been tested on windows 7 build 7201 x86

Stage 1:

1) create 2 folders such as c:\s1 & c:\s2

2) copy/extract the contents of iso/disc to s1

3) mount install.wim (image 5) to s2 folder using gimagex or imagex

4) from a cmd prompt, run install_wim_tweak.exe /m & then type c:\s2

to take ownership of reg hive, created by & credit to BM wnuku

5) commit changes & unmount

Stage 2:

1) first download this:

2) extract the batch file to the sources directory ie. c:\s1\sources

3) mount install.wim (image 5) to s2 folder using gimagex or imagex

4) run rem7201.bat from the sources directory (which has s2 folder already selected)

optional: while the batch file is running, you could delete the Recovery folder from c:\s2\windows\system32 directory, delete the contents of c:\s2\windows\winsxs\backup (you may need unlocker as the files are locked; do not delete the backup folder itself), also delete the folders & its contents from c:\s2\windows\web\wallpaper except for the windows folder which contains the default wallpaper, again you will need the unlocker tool)

5) once done, commit changes & unmount

then use vlite with my last session:

before you create the iso in vlite, make sure you delete every file in the sources folder except for boot.wim & install.wim. also, you will need to extract from the original iso, setup.exe from the sources folder to c:\s1\sources otherwise you will get a cd driver not found error when trying to install!!!

i've just installed this in vmware, set my paging file to 512mb, installed vmware tools, ran windows update to install the sound driver, restarted & my hd usage space is showing up as just under 2.5gb! :D

nb. as the sources folder already includes dism, you do not need to download & install waik for windows 7! the bat file uses dism from the sources folder to remove the packages from windows.

if you extract the content of that attached rar file to c:\tweak, then start a dos prompt to that folder: run install_wim_tweak.exe /m & then type c:\s2 (s2 folder being the mount folder of your wim)

Edited by dead0

can't i do this from waik for 7 RC? cause this is installed already...

also... i can't unsterstand what to do with this command.... when i run it nothing happens...

i can't locate also install_wim_tweak.exe in my pc..

also with waik 7, theres some reported problems with vlite! you only need the imagex component of the waik tools & the imagex with waik 1.1 is much quicker?

You can provide a patch to mouted install.wim as a parameter (type "install_wim_tweak.exe /p c:\s2 /m" without quotes) it is not nesesary to type it after program started.

You can send any ideas/problems with install_wim_tweak.exe to me ;) (i wote this tool)

By the way, i am working on one app... here is a screen (because people like screens ;p, note that is a early development stage):

appscr2.th.jpg

Planned functionality :

-Integrate drivers

-Integrate windows patches

-Remove packages

-Expandable tweaking system

-No need to install WAIK

As the holidays are coming i will probably find some time to finish it ;)

Edited by wnuku

well.. one question... how to grant access @ the folder? because it's says to me that access denied..

if you mean deleting a folder, then you will need the unlocker tool! it only works on 32bit tho...

You can provide a patch to mouted install.wim as a parameter (type "install_wim_tweak.exe /p c:\s2 /m" without quotes) it is not nesesary to type it after program started.

You can send any ideas/problems with install_wim_tweak.exe to me ;) (i wote this tool)

By the way, i am working on one app... here is a screen (because people like screens ;p, note that is a early development stage):

appscr2.th.jpg

Planned functionality :

-Integrate drivers

-Integrate windows patches

-Remove packages

-Expandable tweaking system

-No need to install WAIK

As the holidays are coming i will probably find some time to finish it ;)

will look forward to testing it out :thumbup

Hey what language u writing in dead i can code in vb.net and c# its been a while but i am also great and designing GUI stuff. I am currently downloading 7232 x64 i did a lite install of 7229 i am amazed i got the install under 3 gigs (amazing for 64 bit) hehe :):thumbup