Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Will you be upgrading to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: be upgrading to Windows 7 when it's released or soon after? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be upgrading to Windows 7 when it's released or soon after?

1. Yes (93 votes [87.74%])

Percentage of vote: 87.74%

2. No (13 votes [12.26%])

Percentage of vote: 12.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,401 posts

Donator

Just curious what percentage of the the mixed crowd here will be upgrading.

Also, if you could let us know what OS you will be upgrading from.

Thanks! :thumbup

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,904 posts
Definitely :yes:

Please read the rules, folks!

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Quite probably, yes. It's what Vista should have been. ;)
Building switchless installers and addons upon request for registered RyanVM.net and WinCert members.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,693 posts

Donator

Once we get the OA2.1 cert done, I'd like to upgrade my workstation at work to 7. Right now it runs Server 2003.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

FAT64

FAT64

• PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
We shall be upgrading from XP; skip Vista completely! :thumbup
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

vaska94

vaska94

Maniac

• Pip
  • 75 posts
No Way, 98 and XP rulez :D
i will not upgrade to 7 for i think 2 years :D or more :D
ASRock ConRoe945PL-GLAN, Intel Pentium 4 531, 1GB, nVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS
Power of Darkside :-)

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
I will be upgrading from Windows XP. I may however wait until SP1 comes out then upgrade (look at all the improvements SP1 did for XP and Vista) however when I think about it RC1 could be good enough to be gold so the actual gold version may be like a SP1 for RC1 :wacko:
[The ULTIMATE Sleeper PC] IBM Aptiva mATX | i3 2120 | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | ASUS P8P67-M PRO | 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333MHz | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB | Inno3D GTX 570 | Thermalright Shaman | Antec Neo HE 550W
[Workhorse] Foxconn TSAA 908 | Athlon II X2 240 | Cooler Master Hyper TX3 | Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 | 2GB Kingston Value RAM 800MHz | 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 | ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB | Antec TruePower 2.0 430W

Maleko

Maleko

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
I certainly will be.

Been testing it on my laptop, work PC and home PC, and havent had ANY of the problems I had with Vista, and its so much quicker etc etc, people should learn by how good W7 is to how pathetic vista REALLY is!

Edited by Maleko, 12 June 2009 - 06:38 AM.

Posted Image

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
Yes, but as a secondary OS. ;)

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
im already running it as my main OS on 2 of my computers.
ive been running vista since RC2 as my main OS for years now.
i am loving win7 so far.

Quite probably, yes. It's what Vista should have been. ;)

thats what i have been telling people

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,940 posts

Donator

[x] no

Windows Vista for idiots (Windows 7) doesn't bring up too much new thing which make a upgrade usefull.

Vista performs well and all required and must have fixes are not included, so I'll skip Win7
Posted Image

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
Why should I "upgrade" to a system that would force me to buy new hardware just to match the performance of what I have now?
Rick

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,401 posts

Donator

Why should I "upgrade" to a system that would force me to buy new hardware just to match the performance of what I have now?

Good point.

Have you ran both 98 and XP on the same system? If so, how is the performance of 98 compared to XP? It's been almost 10 years since I last used it.

Edited by -X-, 12 June 2009 - 07:45 PM.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,140 posts

Donator

I'll move to a new OS when I buy hardware that requires it. So far, XPx64 serves my needs quite well with previously high-end hardware from 2005. If I buy new hardware next year, I'll consider a new OS for it.

So far, I'm not impressed with the DRM that's been included with Vista and later MS products. I don't have Blu-ray. I have DX9 videocards that run as fast as I'd like in SLI, so DirectX10 is not important to me. I still use CRT monitors with analog connectors. Why on earth would I buy an OS that requires new hardware when what I've got is perfect for my current needs?

NT 5.2 is currently a very stable and mature server platform. XPx64 is built upon it, and is also very stable. It may not receive another official service pack after SP2, but I'll continue to work on an update pack for it as long as I continue to use it.

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
I'm not using XP. On this PC I'm running Win2000, 98FE, 98SE and 2 flavors of Linux. As far as comparing 2K and 98:
98 boots up and shuts down a lot faster.
Applications start and run slightly faster on 98 but not as many are 98 compatible.
once they're both tuned up, internet speeds are about equal.
Both will run for several days continuous. After a couple of days, 98 starts to lose stability.
Out of the box, a 98 install is fast but unstable. It needs a lot of upgrading and tweaking to make it a stable and reliable system. IMO, the results are worth it. 2K is stable out of the box but sluggish. It needs tuning to reach its speed potential.

When I do upgrade my hardware, I'll probably run the same operating systems I am now. IMO, an OS should be a platform that runs your software and interfaces with your hardware, nothing more. Beyond that, it should stay out of the way. AFAIC, the newer operating systems don't meet that requirement and are moving in the opposite direction. I don't need an OS that uses more disk space than all my software combined. That's not an upgrade. It's a big waste. If MS won't produce an OS that meets that simple requirement, I'll keep using their old ones. When that's no longer possible, I'll move to another OS like Linux.
Rick

Mordac85

Mordac85

Jack of all trades, master of none

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
At work I've been testing & using Win7 since the inital Alpha release and we plan to migrate from XP to Win7. The way I see it Microsoft has 2 types of upgrades, plumbing & polish. Vista was a plumbing change and since it really wasn't ready for prime time, Win7 comes out and is a polish upgrade of Vista the same way XP was for Windows 2000.
~Mordac85

Common sense is not so common.
~Voltaire

bj-kaiser

bj-kaiser

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
same here, Ubuntu user at home.
at work we will hopefully upgrade from XP to 7, as long as our computer centre doesnt force Vista upon us... for having matured for one year or whatever bull.... (hopefully we will get rid of all those users with local admin accounts on the way)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" -- Roy, The IT Crowd

Mordac85

Mordac85

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
We'll never get rid of all the admins because they are too used to having the rights and would cry uncontrollably until senior management caves in just to shut them up.

Actually, VMware's virtual desktop looks very promising and you can control the permissions to the applications so that the user's only have user rights but can run the app with admin rights if needed.
~Mordac85

~Voltaire

bj-kaiser

bj-kaiser

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
well, I'll try to reduce it to people who KNOW what they are doing.

We have at least one person in every department that has sort of a "1st level support" clause in their job description. They keep a lot of work away from "internal services".

I can see them having an admin account for the machines in THAT department.

But the normal user with admin rights? sorry, the situation as it is is total chaos. nobody asks IT about what they install on their machines, in contradiction to the written rules. that IT doesnt come down hard on them upon discovering that doesnt help either.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" -- Roy, The IT Crowd

Mordac85

Mordac85

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
I'm finding that not supporting problems caused by those rogue installs is helping. First thing I ask is 'who installed xyz' and if they say they did I uninstall it and Ta Da! All better! They normally freak when the uninstall starts, but when I point out that they aren't authorized to install it and that they'll have to discuss it w/their manager to get it back they tend to shut up.

Oh and we have permission to yank out all of the crap (Google Earth, toolbars, Skype, etc) if we even see it on their systems. I love the security officer!

Edited by Mordac85, 16 June 2009 - 01:47 PM.

~Mordac85

~Voltaire

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Vista performs well and all required and must have fixes are not included, so I'll skip Win7

Hmm, a simple task like copying files is still dang slow with both Win7 and Vista compared to Win2K and WinXP.
Building switchless installers and addons upon request for registered RyanVM.net and WinCert members.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,140 posts

Donator

And that is the primary reason I have not migrated to Vista. I am constantly working with files on my system. Microsoft seriously bungled simple file operations with Vista. Search for strings within files... not with Vista. Fast file copy/moves... not with Vista. Network transfers... you're joking, right?

I won't be impressed by turd polish until Microsoft can fix basic operations.

clueless_furball

clueless_furball

• 35 posts
Right now I am using Windows 2k. I'll probably upgrade to Windows 7 when it matures (Probably 5-7 years from now) Microsoft has this annoying tendency to turn out really bad software packages and then fix them in a service pack.

So I usually hold back and wait until they work out the bugs. Windows XP (before SP1) Was awful. So was every single initial release of a Windows operating system (Never saw the initial release of 2k, though I'm sure it's just as awful as the other initial MS OS's before they worked out the bugs).

Windows Vista is almost to the point it's usable. Though I'll probably wait another couple years to upgrade to it (I'll have to soon, since I need to get a new PC to use Office 2007)

Edited by clueless_furball, 20 June 2009 - 11:05 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,940 posts

Donator

Network transfers... you're joking, right?

network is outstanding with Vista/Win7. Do you know what SMB2 is?
Posted Image

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,140 posts

Donator

Yes, I do. Are you aware that it is fully proprietary and not backward compatible? It is useless to me when running a blended network with older machines. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN