Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Will you be upgrading to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: be upgrading to Windows 7 when it's released or soon after? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be upgrading to Windows 7 when it's released or soon after?

1. Yes (93 votes [87.74%])

Percentage of vote: 87.74%

2. No (13 votes [12.26%])

Percentage of vote: 12.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

-X-

-X-

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 2,432 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

If search my OS drive for shell32 in XP, the results are displayed in less than a second. Boot into Windows 7 and do the same and it takes about 30 seconds.
Another test to make it fairer (since 7 has to go through 6~8 gigs), I had Windows 7 search the XP drive and it still took about 5 seconds.

That's how it's faster...at least for me.

Edited by -X-, 04 July 2009 - 12:47 AM.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
  • Joined 30-September 04

If search my OS drive for shell32 in XP, the results are displayed in less than a second. Boot into Windows 7 and do the same and it takes about 30 seconds.
Another test to make it fairer (since 7 has to go through 6~8 gigs), I had Windows 7 search the XP drive and it still took about 5 seconds.

That's how it's faster...at least for me.

Wait... what? You're honestly making an argument about the search speed for a system file? Unless your work involves constantly manually accessing these files, how is this an advantage in any way?

Think about the amount of time (from the real start to finish) of finding a commonly used file (document you're working on, picture that you've taken, that song you want to hear).

XP: Think about where file is located. Browse to said file (depending on where in the directory tree this is, it can take a while). Then open it.
Vista/Win7: Hit start, type something related to that file. Click.

I deal with Matlab code for my thesis work right now. I've got quite a few pieces of code here and there from other people I've worked with, and finding that one function through all the different folders can be kind of tough if I had to do it manually. Thankfully, I've setup my indexing to include .m files (the extension for Matlab code files) to search file names and contents. Now I hit start, type the function name, and then the file that contains it appears. This is far faster than any alternative XP could ever have provided.

-X-

-X-

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 2,432 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

If all that applies to you then fine. Windows 7 is faster for you. It doesn't apply to me and as such I prefer XP search.

Update:
I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt and assumed that system files where somehow different. I had my doubts but thought maybe the system cached them and might influence search speed.

I tried a non-system file by creating a file in my documents called search.txt. I repeated the experient but this time only searched the XP drive so I wouldnt handicap Windows 7 too much. The results where the same.

XP < 1 second
W7 ~ 5 seconds

Your results may vary. I am only telling you what I see. Try these experiments yourself to arrive at your own conclusion.

Edited by -X-, 04 July 2009 - 02:28 AM.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

Dislocated Time

Dislocated Time

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 02-November 07
Vista was only for people that don't really tinker with stuff and accept having zero control over their computer system.

It seems the further up the road you get with the windows operating systems, the less control and less configuration possibilities you have.

Therefore I hate Vista and would probably like Windows 7 just as little.

Anyone that likes writing their own scripts and tweaking their computer to the max will know what I mean.
Shift happens, Magic happens too...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,126 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

no, wrong. Give some details and try the same under XP with a LIMITED user account!
Posted Image

D_block

D_block

The Return of the greatest

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 05-May 07
i wonder why ppl are so against upgradin hardware for win 7 ... if your hardware cant run windows 7 proper then what ever your Os is now is probably on the slow side of the chain !!

im already on the win7 side of things, but i have xp on my SATA HDD
Activate yuh feelings
Press ah on switch
~ D_block ...

hydroplant

hydroplant

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 29-September 08
what version can i upgrade to from home premium ?

John305

John305

Junior

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 26-April 09
Yes of course I will use win 7 but also I never had a problem with vista 64 bit. Win 98 ha ha come on I guess if you have a very old pc that can’t run anything else. But if you have a newer pc I don’t think win 98 is going to run a quad very well. As for win xp yes let’s all use a os created in 2001 but I don’t think it will run a quad very well either or any other new hardware. Yes I know there is win xp 64 bit it was a jk. I used it on this system and now this is running win 7 64 bit much better than it did xp 64 bit. I feel most of the poor rating vista got was from manufactures putting in on systems that could not run it. Also they all wanted the ultimate version loaded with network stuff they have no idea what it is for or will ever use it. But then again if you are going to buy a system with a vista rating of 1 you deserve what you get. So in my opinion vista was much better than xp and win 7 will be better than vista. But then of course you have to learn a new os which some people seem to be afraid of, or learning anything for that matter. Also i guess it makes a diffrence if you only sit at home with your pc, but if you are in the pc business not useing win 7 or learning it will make you look stupid. Same as the people that skipped vista i guess they dont fix pc's well Win 7 is alot like Vista. So if you dont want to keep up and have no need to ,use win 98 and a old pc. Myself I love the new stuff hehe

Hammey

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Joined 15-December 06

i wonder why ppl are so against upgradin hardware for win 7 ... if your hardware cant run windows 7 proper then what ever your Os is now is probably on the slow side of the chain !!

Upgrading hardware makes sense if you need it or if your existing hardware is developing problems. Spending money just to "keep up with the times" is a waste. In case you haven't noticed, money is tight in this present economy. I can think of a lot of better uses for it than giving it to one of the richest companies in the world in exchange for an OS that gives me nothing in return that I don't already have. Buying new hardware just to be a bit faster is not likely to ever pay for itself for most people.
Rick

the xt guy

the xt guy

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06

Donator

Vista was only for people that don't really tinker with stuff and accept having zero control over their computer system.
It seems the further up the road you get with the windows operating systems, the less control and less configuration possibilities you have.
<snip>

Somewhere I read that Microsoft would really like all of us using nothing more than "dumb terminals" with a simple shell interface (probably Microsoft Bob-like!) that would connect to Microsoft and only to Microsoft. We would rent use of an O/S from them, which would reside on their servers. No CD's of software to buy or be pirated. All the software we would use would be rented from them and reside on their servers. Outside of a simple shell interface, our computers would be dumb terminals with not even our own data stored on them. We would pay yearly fees for the rental of the O/S, Microsoft Office, etc. Microsoft would control EVERYTHING, all our data would pass through their hands and there would be no privacy, no using older operating systems or software. If we did not pay our yearly rental fees, BOOM! everything would become unaccessible and we would have nothing more than a useless dumb terminal.

Edited by the xt guy, 08 July 2009 - 03:03 PM.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01

<snip>

Somewhere I read that Microsoft would really like all of us using nothing more than "dumb terminals" with a simple shell interface (probably Microsoft Bob-like!) that would connect to Microsoft and only to Microsoft. We would rent use of an O/S from them, which would reside on their servers. No CD's of software to buy or be pirated. All the software we would use would be rented from them and reside on their servers. Outside of a simple shell interface, our computers would be dumb terminals with not even our own data stored on them. We would pay yearly fees for the rental of the O/S, Microsoft Office, etc. Microsoft would control EVERYTHING, all our data would pass through their hands and there would be no privacy, no using older operating systems or software. If we did not pay our yearly rental fees, BOOM! everything would become unaccessible and we would have nothing more than a useless dumb terminal.

Wow, tinfoil hat much? Not you, but whomever wrote that (and whomever would believe it would work, too, I guess... ;)).
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

the xt guy

the xt guy

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06

Donator

I'm not a tinfoil hat kind of guy, but I suppose the guy that wrote that could hardly hold his head up enough to type, he was wearing so much tinfoil on his head!

Still, I stay on the cautious side with my computer.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
LOL :thumbup
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,959 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Please, PLEASE, let Microsoft Bob RIP :ph34r:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

bookie32

bookie32

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07
Hi guys and girls

I always thought that when I got involved in Linux I would say bye bye to Windows.........can't seem to do it. Right in the beginning when Windows7 was put up for testing I downloaded it and tested in VMWare on XP on my Dell Dimension 5000.....which really isn't designed for Vista in any way ....say dell.

Well, Windows Vista was sluggish.....only Pentium D 3GHz processor on that computer. But Windows 7 worked like a dream....finding drivers etc no probs...so I installed it for real on own drive. I noticed straight away a marked improvement on quickness and less resource demanding....WOW great!!

My girlfriend loves Windows and I have enjoyed my stay here at MSFN.......YES I will be upgrading to Windows 7 or what ever they call it on release.

Just heard here in Sweden that the release will be near Christmas? Looking forward to owning my own Windows7....and that is a first for me to say....LOL

bookie32

Edited by bookie32, 09 July 2009 - 01:00 AM.

the xt guy

the xt guy

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06

Donator

Please, PLEASE, let Microsoft Bob RIP

Microsoft wouldn't let Bob RIP, why should I? (Certainly you know about all the bits o'Bob that found their way into later OS' from MS-the "search dog" that's in XP, the much hated "clippy" from Office 97 and 2000,etc.

Here's a website that shows all the places MS has used bits-O-BOB:

http://www.d2ca.org/ms-bob-lives.html

Ha! Bob lives on in a way, even in Vista! (Vista users deserve a bit 'O Bob, don't you think?)

I also heard, a few days ago of a local couple naming their first child "Lexi". My first thought was "Are they going to name all their children after the Microsoft Bob 'friends'? Here's my daughters Lexi, Blythe, Ruby and my son Scuzz!"

Perhaps as punishment Melinda "Mrs. Microsoft Bob" Gates should be forced to name all her children after the Bob friends.

Edited by the xt guy, 12 July 2009 - 07:30 AM.

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08
Ha BOB is pretty interesting to find out about. Luckily I do not have him on my PC. No search feature, no Bob in explorer, and no balloon pop ups, no office assistant and even highlighting of newly installed programs! All removed with either nLite or a few changed settings :thumbup

Edited by Zenskas, 10 July 2009 - 11:21 PM.

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05
nLite = dog catcher. :P

GL

*Edit: added link :D

Edited by GrofLuigi, 11 July 2009 - 07:33 AM.

UnderMiner

UnderMiner
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-July 09
Tried it and didn't like it. When they stop updating XP I'll have a look at it but until then I don't think I'll be upgrading. Then again, my linux boxes haven't been updated for a while either... if it ain't broke don't try and fix it K.I.S.S

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,959 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Awww I liked Clippy.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

crazzycat

crazzycat
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 28-July 09
I won't upgrate it too, some troubles appears in it! :ph34r:

net_user

net_user

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Joined 02-June 05
yup...bought the pro version from bestbuy.com
can't wait to get it in the mail!
Hex:
526573697374616e636520697320667574696c6521

A+

leadboots5

leadboots5

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 13-May 07
On my computers that came with Vista, yes.
On my computers that came with XP, no. They need new equipment.

woody.cool

woody.cool

• 38 posts
  • Joined 12-July 09
I most likely will be upgrading, mostly just to keep up to date (on my home PC)
I'll be upgrading from XP Pro x64 to either 7 Pro x64 or 7 Ultimate x64, completely skipping Vista.

However, on my work PC, I don't believe we have any upgrade plans (yet) so most likely will be sticking with XP Pro x86. To be honest, I don't think my workstation at work will cope with 7 very well anyway, as it's an old decrepid system.

MillenX

MillenX

• PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined 17-December 07
certainly. downloading x64 bit drivers and softwares as im going to use x64. of windows 7 ulti :sneaky:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users