cluberti, thanks for your response. It helps very much just to know that you don't have the problem. I have brought some things over from IE7, so maybe in these there is a problem. I will start by stripping them out before I install on my VM. They would be the same between my real and virtual machines. I will look into the IIS tool if I don't make progress now. To clarify, when my memory begins to increase, it is increasing without bound. If left going, I get an "Out of Memory" report. In my VM I get a message saying that the Script is causing slow performance and do I want to stop it. When I respond 'yes', memory use goes down, then shortly starts back up. My real machine quit giving the slow script message. Thanks, John.
EDIT: I built a quick ISO, installed it on VM and did not allow three .reg files to run after install (WPI) that set parameters into IE8. I now have no memory eating problems and hangs. I need to narrow it down to which setting/tweak is the problem.
Edited by johnhc, 12 June 2009 - 07:08 PM.