Seagate 7200.12: any issues?

Dear mates, I am due to report a bug similar to the notorious 0 LBA / BUSY occurred with my new 7200.12 series HDD last week.

I have a Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS, firmware revision CC37, part num 9SL142-301 which abruptly became inaccessible for OS. I do have a dual-boot-System with Ubuntu 9.10 on Barracuda and Win-XP on another HDD. I used the Barracuda as a data storage disk w logic partition formatted as ntfs to get acess from Ubuntu and Win, but sadly, with no essential data backed up.

The problem is: when I run Ubuntu, suddenly my drive has gone, with no reason. At OS booting it was /dev/sda, now there is no /dev/sda anymore, but a /dev/sdc (/dev/sdb is the drive where the operating systems are). When I run Win-XP the disk erratically appears among BIOS registered devices with its full capacity, but in most boot-up attempts not. Win-XP sys logs shows numerous (up to 30-50 repeated records) I/O failures during disk paging operation (error 51) This is obviously a reaction of OS to a malfunctioned part of HDDs firmware responsible for translation of HDD sectors physical addresses to the system LBA.

Though Win-XP device manager indicates ST3500418AS device as working correctly, file explorer shows the logic disk as inaccessible media , does not suggest to format it and hangs up when I attempt to explore the volume.

Numerous HDD scan / data rescue tools I have tried up to test disk / recover information indicated ST350041-8AS as a completely bad disk with no file system on it. Seagate seatools diagnostic program for DOS ver 2.14 recognizes the faulty disk, but short test always proceeds to just 90 percent and is never finished.

So, in a hope the data on disk remains intact I am looking for feedback and problem solution. Does anybody think a replacement of PCB with the same FW revision taken off another 7200.12 ST3500418AS might solve the problem? Will the service info on the track 0 be automatically translated to the new CPU? I think, buying new HDD is at least less expensive than professional data recovery.

Alexander

hi

seagate 7200.12 500GB ST3500418AS

I have this problems

1)bios doesnt detect it

2)it have click sound

??????????HELP HELP HELP up to 400gb important datas are flying!!!

• 1 month later...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 stopped working

Hi guys,

Sorry for my bad English!

I have a Seagate Barracuda HDD with the following specifications:

Family: 7200.12

Model: ST3250318AS

P/N: 9SL131-300

Firmware: CC44

When I looked in the BIOS model, saw that my Seagate HDD was recognized as 0MB and 0LBA!!

I have tried with china PC 3000; with dku5

but failed

someone please help me?

I bought PC300 UDMA ACE subjects , who have contact

I use this command with Dku5 , but without success

What is the command line for CC44 7200.12 ?

seagate wrote:

to 7200.11, but 7200.12 ?

On Terminal press CTRL + Z:

F3 T>

F3 T> / 2

F3 2> Z

User format partitions 5% complete, Area 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, 00000080 ErrCode, Time elapsed 05 seconds 0 minutes

Users successfully format the partition - 0 minutes 05 seconds time elapsed

F3 T>

someone please help me?

I do not know it, I NEED DATA . Can you help me ?

Y! : khoiphucdulieu

Email: datviet@cuudulieu.com

aq1.jpg

aq2.jpg

aq3.jpg

aq4.jpg

Edited by cuudulieu
Removed unnecessary formatting.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 vote for boycotting all Seagate products until our "statistical unimportance" affects their bottom line.

Don't know what to tell you about your situation, it definitely sux. Here is a merged thread on the issue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a CC37 firmware & have bought it just 7 months back. & all of a sudden it gives me a smart error & before i could backup my data it just died off. It does not show up in the bios anymore. i tried the fix mentioned at : http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Desktop-ATA-and-Serial-ATA/SOLUTION-FOR-7200-11-SERIES-MAXTOR-SEAGATE-B..., i can do a spin down & spin up with no errors, but when i send the F3 1>N1 command or F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 it starts throwing up the error: Failed to load overlay 00000005 LED:000000CC FAddr:00289581& keeps repeating the same thing. Kindly let me me know if there is a way to fix my HDD. I need the data inside it. PLEASE HELP...

Did you take a look at the three sticky topics on this page http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/5-hardware-hangout/

Hi Sp0iLedBrAt, Ya i did go through them & have downloaded victoria & other tools... my HDD doesn't show up in vicktoria either... :( i downloaed the seagate diagnostic command doc file & goin through it... F3 T>V

Failed to load overlay 00000005

LED:000000CC FAddr:0028958

Rst 0x10M

SIM Error 1002

SIM Error 1002

No HOST FIS-ReadyStatusFlags 2002A1A5

SIM Error 1002

ASCII Diag mode

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 6.015 secs

F3 2>U

HighPowerMode

ExecuteSpinRequest

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 3.772 secs

F3 2>

Please can u tell me how i can fix this???

• 2 months later...

hey guys.....upgraded frm the 7200.11 version after successfully reviving it.

Now i'm on the newer 7200.12 version.

S/N : 5VM0SV16

Model: ST3500418AS

Firmware: CC34

The problem now is, it is able to be detected in BIOS. I'm using this as a secondary drive, so i can boot my OS. The only problem is, when i open My computer, it hangs and i can see that the hdd light is busy. Tried on external casing, same problem. "My Computer" hangs until i pull out the ext casing then only it'll recover.

Tried on Linux. Same problem, still cant open the partition.

I hope i can get some help from here. I have all the tools that is required to solve the problem encountered by 7200.11 series as i have done it before. Just wondering can i use the same way but just with different codes?

I really appreciate your help. I have really important, personal, financial, company and family data. Pleaasssseeeeeee help me. :blushing: :blushing:

Thanks a lot. :hello:

My situation is like you.

Model: ST3500418AS

Firmware: CC44

TTL test:

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

HighPowerMode

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.095 msecs

F3 2>

Please somebody help me........

• 1 month later...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 stopped working

Hi guys,

I have a Seagate Barracuda HDD not detected bios:

Family: 7200.12

Model: ST33160318AS

Size: 160Gbytes

Firmware: CC38

When I looked in the BIOS model, saw that my Seagate HDD was recognized as 0MB and 0LBA!!

I have tried with dku5 (i"m tried command:F3 T> .... F3 T> / 2 ;F3 2> Z..... F3 2> ....F3 2> U ..... F3 2> / 1 ..... F3 1> N1 : but failed)

AND I"M TRIED COMMAND :

F3 T>V4

F3 T>V1

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

sieuthiNHANH2010101128341yjbhnwvlnm153937.jpeg

someone please help me?

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday morning my 1T 7200.12 started giving me problems, click during access then I had to reset my system- it was running W7 64 from a Nexstar external dock in sata mode. The drive was about 8 months old. I wanted to transfer as much data onto a new w7 OS so I swapped out the "bad" hd and put a new 7200.12 that I bought at the same time but surprise ! that was clicking from the start, impossible to even boot while it was connected. On a hunch I put that new unformatted clicking 7200.12 in a thermaltake duet external docking station that I use for convience and it was solid.I was able to format and install the w7 64 OS that I wanted on the new drive using the other docking station. I hooked the hd that was starting to give problems directly in my system and was able to copy everything off it with no problems. I am now using that same hd in the thermaltake external docking station on the same sata connection and everything seems fine. I ran the system tools disk check and defragment with no problems or errors to report. It might seem that it was the nexstar external docking station that was the cause of my problems- maybe the sata circuit goes bad and everything is accessible though another circuit/ device.

I just want to post this experience because I know how bad it can be to lose your hd, and that it might not be the hd but the interface/device instead. I hope this helps.Good luck

• 6 months later...

Thanks to jaclaz, who found it (why do you think he's known as "The Finder"?), here's the first publish, still little tested or untested procedure for 7200.12 not detected by the BIOS. :thumbup

PS: Yes, this is a merged and heavily cleansed up collection of threads, consolidated in one... I did my best to remove the irrelevant materials to make it less long winded and more to the point.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Seagate

st31000524as

MY HDD is not detecting @ bios... i have faced similar issue in my 7200.11 also....i recovered all my data using DK5 method.... when i try to use that method in 7200.12 ... @ hyperterminal i am not getting anything after pressing Ctrl Z.. i tries swapping TX & RX.... no use... Please help... i have very important data... its just 3 months old HDD :(

hi i have Connected using the dk5 method but using 'http://hddhelp.com.ua/7200-12.htm' ...

i am getting LED:000000CC FAddr:000075A5 this message continuously

Please help me what to do....? :(

Update: i tried to insert Business card ..now i am not getting that LED error..

but when i press CTRL + Z ... prompt F3 is not coming ...please help me...:(

Edited by dhilip1