Simple question about Nlite

mariusyca

Hello,

I wanted to ask someone about the way nlite works. Recently i had a argument with a friend of mine who was upset that i almost burned his laptop just by installing and running Nlite . Although i only needed to make a unnatended installation for a friend and only used the "Unnatended" and "Bootable" options, he says that nlite "is using a lot of the laptop's processing power to decompress and recompress the files" wich may lead to a sistem failure and an iminent destruction of the laptop's processor.

All i want to know is if he is right and Nlite really is a tool only for desktops.

Thank in advance and btw Great software ;)

PS: Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place, i'm new to this :D.

mariusyca, I think your friend is a little paranoid. Of course compression/decompression pushes even my rather fast desktop to 100% CPU. If I am in danger of burning up my computer, it is my problem not nLite's. I do keep an eye on my CPU temperature and make changes to my ventilation if I think it is getting too high. Many, many people use a laptop to run nLite and I am sure none have been burned up by running nLite. Some people don't like to press the accelerator on their car to the floor and I guess there are some who don't like to see their CPU at 100%. I am sure there are a huge number of programs that will peg a CPU. Hope your friend eases up on you. Enjoy, John.

Hello,

I wanted to ask someone about the way nlite works. Recently i had a argument with a friend of mine who was upset that i almost burned his laptop just by installing and running Nlite . Although i only needed to make a unnatended installation for a friend and only used the "Unnatended" and "Bootable" options, he says that nlite "is using a lot of the laptop's processing power to decompress and recompress the files" wich may lead to a sistem failure and an iminent destruction of the laptop's processor.

All i want to know is if he is right and Nlite really is a tool only for desktops.

Thank in advance and btw Great software ;)

PS: Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place, i'm new to this :D.

Your friend would most likely also be upset if you borrowed his car and drove it past 30 miles/hour. That would certainly destroy the cars engine.

File compression/decompression is by far harder on the hard drive than the processor. That having been said, working a processor at full throttle is not the same as running your car's engine at full throttle, if you don't mind the analogy. Your processor is designed to withstand it, for days or months on end if necessary with the correct heatsink assembly. Your car's engine, however, cannot take that kind of stress for too long due to various factors such as friction on the moving parts.

Unless your friend has overclocked the processor without due diligence and testing, or he/she consistently uses the laptop in dusty and humid environments, your friend has absolutely nothing to worry about. :)

nLite use one core of the cpu, so his processor is loading at 100% during integration process and probably on Windows installation. Your friend should buy a notebook with dual core processor. This way the cpu should be colder (load at max. 50%).

This sounds exactly like something a non-PC literate person would say. It would be like me saying that my bike tires are rated for a max of 60PSI and if I inflate them to 60PSI I am in danger of them blowing off the rim. If the laptop does not come with adequate cooling for 100% load situations then I wouldn't be buying from that company any time soon. Besides, nLite does not take all day to make an ISO file for an operating system and there are plenty of people that have computers that run at 100% load more often than not. Unless the manufacturer of your friends laptop has stated in the manual not to push the laptop to 100% load then I would say it is plenty safe :)

(just tell your friend that a bunch of computer nerds told you that you would be safe to run nLite on his laptop :lol:)

EDIT: BTW in most cases if the laptop was made in the 21st century then if it started to overheat it would simply shut down causing no damage.

Edited by Zenskas

johnhc: Thanks for the reply

Groucho2004: Neither of us have cars ;))

-X-: Although his idea was wrong he is still my friend :P

5eraph: no dust, no humidity, and of course no overclocking (no point) Thanks for the reply

radix: actually the laptop has a dual core processor and 2 gb of ram ( never said it was single core) Thanks for the reply

Zenskas: your post was nearly 100% what i told him when we were having the argument ;)) Thanks alot

Thank all of you for helpin me out ;))

Edited by mariusyca

Your friend is a friggin moron. :w00t:

haha +1

my pc runs on 100%cpu if i play a game on it and that can be like that for 4 hrs if it cant handle it it wouldnt be made to do it