Firefox 3 not working on german Win98SE+KernelEx

For a few days now I am trying to get Firefox 3 (3.0.10) working on a clean installation of the german Win98SE. From what I am reading, this should work, but it does not for me... Firefox just crashes at startup, even before displaying the main window. There is no old profile etc which could cause this btw.

Here is what I tried:

* install Win98SE

* install inofficial service pack => I tried with (latest stable and latest beta) and without this

* install latest KernelEx

Any help would be great.

Maybe someone could suggest a small freeware tool I could try which normally does not work on Win9x but should work with KernelEx so that I can make sure that KernelEx IS installed correctly? At that point we could try to find the problem with Fx3 on my system...

For a few days now I am trying to get Firefox 3 (3.0.10) working on a clean installation of the german Win98SE. From what I am reading, this should work, but it does not for me... Firefox just crashes at startup, even before displaying the main window. There is no old profile etc which could cause this btw.

Here is what I tried:

* install Win98SE

* install inofficial service pack => I tried with (latest stable and latest beta) and without this

* install latest KernelEx

Any help would be great.

Maybe someone could suggest a small freeware tool I could try which normally does not work on Win9x but should work with KernelEx so that I can make sure that KernelEx IS installed correctly? At that point we could try to find the problem with Fx3 on my system...

Put Firefox 3 in XPSP2 compatibility mode. Right click on the executable and choose properties to get there. It should work after that.

There is a thread listing KernelEx compatible applications here :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=120479

Put Firefox 3 in XPSP2 compatibility mode. Right click on the executable and choose properties to get there. It should work after that.

I tried win2k and xpsp2 compatibility. I did, however, set this on the shortcut created in the quicklaunch bar. Do I actually have to set it on the executable itself?

I also should add that when I disable KernelEx compatibility (or before installing it) I get a completely different error compared to the one with win2k/xpsp2 compatibility set (on the shortcut in quicklaunch).

There is a thread listing KernelEx compatible applications here [...]

This is why I don't understand why it would not work for me...

Hello mx98.

I have a german win98SE as well and I'm using Firefox 3 with KernelEx.

Some weeks ago I had to install my system from scratch and I had a different problem with FF3.

But the solution might help you as well.

I confirmed that I wanted to use FF as my standard browser but somehow it didn't work and IE was still registered as standard.

So I installed Firefox 2 which is designed for win98, started it for the first time and everything worked fine and it was registered as my standard browser. After that I installed Firefox 3 over it and that was the trick. Everything is working fine.

So try Firefox 2 first, run it one time and then try installing FF3 again.

UPDATE: just tried it.

- uninstalled Fx3

- installed Fx2, made it default

- installed Fx3 again

Sadly the problem still exists. Thanks a lot for your comment anyway!

Edited by mx98

UPDATE: just tried it.

- uninstalled Fx3

- installed Fx2, made it default

- installed Fx3 again

Sadly the problem still exists. Thanks a lot for your comment anyway!

Have you restart your PC after uninstalling Fx3 and after installing Fx2 as default browser ? :rolleyes:

You can try to install Fx3 in custom mode (instead of in standard mode) with creating a new folder (named different as "Mozilla Firefox" in Program files, "Mozilla Gran Paradiso" for example :)) ?

Personally I have both Firefox2 and 3 installed in two custom folders and it work perfectely ;)

Have you restart your PC after uninstalling Fx3 and after installing Fx2 as default browser ? :rolleyes:

I have done the latter, not sure about the former.

You can try to install Fx3 in custom mode (instead of in standard mode) with creating a new folder (named different as "Mozilla Firefox" in Program files, "Mozilla Gran Paradiso" for example :)) ?

Personally I have both Firefox2 and 3 installed in two custom folders and it work perfectely ;)

I will probably try that tomorrow but I don't really see how it would make a difference...

The idea of upgrading IE to run Fx3 successfully sounds strange...
Yes, but it can be KernelEx problem depending on certain ugpraded library (like comctl32, shfolder).

Yes, but it can be KernelEx problem depending on certain ugpraded library (like comctl32, shfolder).

Fine... I will give this another try with IE6 SP1.

UPDATE: and I did... well... Actually, installed IE6 on my old installation and it did not make a difference. Then I reinstalled everything and this time KernelEx just works... I'm not aware of doing anything differently at all :/

However after that I used 98lite to completely uninstall even IE5 and everything still works. I also installed the inoffical SP2.1. After that I had to re-install KernelEx but once rebooted, everything worked fine again.

Edited by mx98

The idea of upgrading IE to run Fx3 successfully sounds strange...

It's all working fine with IE 5.5 here it seems.