LG GH22NS50 Bluebirds Removal Tool

LG GH22NS50 Bluebirds Removal Tool

For those of you who may have bought this drive not knowing that there was some annoying software called "Bluebirds" embedded it the DVD-ROM drive that shows up when there is no disc and the drive is closed. There is a tool to disable it attached to this post, it is an official tool from LG that isn't on their site ( I had to talk to a sales manager to get it ). When you run it it will not display any confirmation dialog when it is finished. The tool only take a few seconds to run, then just open and close your drive and Bluebirds should be gone.

As for LG Electronics USA it seems they had no idea that this software was even included in these drives untill they made it into distribution.

Personally I think whoever green lighted this annoying piece of adware to be embedded into these drives should be promptly fired.

EDIT:

I have removed to the tool from this post because LG has posted an offical firmware update that removes the Bluebirds feature.

The firmware update can be found here, under the "Drivers & Software" tab.

http://www.lge.com/us/support/product/supp...elCode=GH22NS50

New firmware (TN01) for only GH22NS50(Removed BlueBird Function)

Model:GH22NS50

Ver:TN01

-Removed BlueBird Function

EDIT:

Noticed a minor glitch with the firmware upgrade from LG, if you have the drive closed the firmware updater sees Bluebirds as a CD and won't run till you remove the disc. To get around this simply eject the drive tray and leave it open while the update runs.

EDIT:

A few people have requested the original tool and have had problems with the firmware update so I have attached the original Bluebirds Removal Tool to the post again.

Bluebird_SETTER_Silent.zip

Edited by spiff

Thank you VERY much for posting this. I (unfortunately) bought one of these drives and was furious to see it with firmware adware. I have to say, though, that newegg was great about it and actually refunded the money I paid for it and told me to not bother sending it back (they told me to throw it away or do whatever I pleased with it). I just ran the tool and it worked perfectly. Now I have a free, fast DVD writer! Once again, thank you for posting this!

Thank you VERY much for posting this. I (unfortunately) bought one of these drives and was furious to see it with firmware adware. I have to say, though, that newegg was great about it and actually refunded the money I paid for it and told me to not bother sending it back (they told me to throw it away or do whatever I pleased with it). I just ran the tool and it worked perfectly. Now I have a free, fast DVD writer! Once again, thank you for posting this!

Haha nice I have to do that. What does the bluebirds software actually do?

Awesome quick fix! I talked to LG and they acted like it was forbidden to even speak about Bluebird.

Guess I will try to avoid their future products since they were unwilling to help.

Thanks again for the fix.

thanks! but kind of weird, got file, click to run it, and nothing happens...it doesnt run or remove it.

nevermind lol, just saw its in the start menu.

Edited by biikman

thanks! but kind of weird, got file, click to run it, and nothing happens...it doesnt run or remove it.

nevermind lol, just saw its in the start menu.

This will NOT remove the Bluebirds program from your system if you have already installed it, it only removes the app from the firmware of the drive.

And yes it is weird that the program doesn't show anything while it's working, but it was made for OEMs not consumers.

duno i dont have it this annoying adware

i buyed that burner few days ago and just install it

but thx i will use it when i got some problem

Edited by aviv00

Awesome quick fix! I talked to LG and they acted like it was forbidden to even speak about Bluebird.

Guess I will try to avoid their future products since they were unwilling to help.

Thanks again for the fix.

Agreed. I can't find any info about this...no statement, no apology, nothing.

I liked LG drives but will never buy them again after hearing about this and how they seem to be avoiding it. The new Samsung's are just as good if not better anyway. I'm ordering a new Samsung SH-S223Q tomorrow. :thumbup