LG GH22NS50 Bluebirds Removal Tool

This WILL NOT work on a Vista 64 machine. Confirmed via LG technical assistance, and my own personal experience. I was told by the techy that I would have to physically remove the drive from my pc and place it in a non-64 bit environment in order for the removal tool to work properly (which I am not going to do), or just live with it. Apparently, LG is not the innovative company that I had previously imagined, that they cannot calibrate a simple tool for use by ALL of their customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate this post. Thanks spiff!

I just purchased a new computer that came preloaded with Vista Ultimate x64 edition and found the Bluebirds being loaded with the LG GH22NS50 DVD drive with no disc in it.

Calling support for the place I got the system from didn’t help as they didn’t know what I was talking about and apparently were not aware of this. I’ve since alerted them to this post and they were thankful that I alerted them to this.

I read many replies that said they couldn’t get this to work on 64-bit Vista. It worked fine for me. Not sure why they couldn’t get it to work right. The only thing I can add is that I ran the firmware upgrade from TN00 to TN01 with the drive tray open, so that Bluebirds wasn’t showing.

I also didn’t install the Bluebirds software, so all I had to do was update the firmware and it’s now gone and the drive operates normally.

• 2 weeks later...

So i didn't actually buy the drive myself but it came with my prebuilt. Ans i have updated it and removed the bluebird. But for some reason the drive will play DVD's fine, but when it comes to audio cd's it will play the first between 50 - 60 seconds of a song then it will skip through the rest of them like its almost spinning to fast? :blink: at least thats what i get out of it anyway.

post-257318-1250705872_thumb.jpg

This picture is what it looks like when i import a cd... i get an "unavailable" time. When i tried it in Windows media player it said "my disc may be dirty." hmmm new cd's, and they are all dirty? thats real helpful, thanks microsoft.

Oh and a quick note, this is after I had already RMA'd the first one because thats what LG told me to do, so they sent me this new one that is doing the exact same thing. HELP!!!! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
LG GH22NS50 Bluebirds Removal Tool

For those of you who may have bought this drive not knowing that there was some annoying software called "Bluebirds" embedded it the DVD-ROM drive that shows up when there is no disc and the drive is closed. There is a tool to disable it attached to this post, it is an offical tool from LG that isn't on their site ( I had to talk to a sales manager to get it ). When you run it it will not display any confermation dialog when it is finished. The tool only take a few seconds to run, then just open and close your drive and Bluebirds should be gone.

As for LG Electronics USA it seems they had no idea that this software was even included in these drives untill they made it into distribution.

Personally I think whoever green lighted this annoying piece of adware to be embedded into these drives should be promptly fired.

EDIT:

I have removed to the tool from this post because LG has posted an offical firmware update that removes the Bluebirds feature.

The firmware update can be found here, under the "Drivers & Software" tab.

http://www.lge.com/us/support/product/supp...elCode=GH22NS50

New firmware (TN01) for only GH22NS50(Removed BuleBird Function)

Model:GH22NS50

Ver:TN01

-Removed BuleBird Function

EDIT:

Noticed a minor glitch with the firmware upgrade from LG, if you have the drive closed the firmware updater sees Bluebirds as a CD and won't run till you remove the disc. To get around this simply eject the drive tray and leave it open while the update runs.

Could you please put the tool back into the post. Because I don't to take risk to upgrade firmware for my drive.

Thanks anyway.