FAQ: What is the UAC? - Part2

Hi, this is my second part of the series "What is the UAC".

People always disable the UAC because there is no way to disable the UAC for a specific program. is this really true?
No, it is not true. There is an build in way to do this!

Q: How can I do this?
A: Use the taskscheduler.

1. Start the computer management MMC snap-in

1.png

2. This step is optional: go to Task scheduler Library and make a right click and click "New Folder" (see picture 2)
and type in "myTasks" to create a new folder (see picute 3)

2.png
3.png

3. Make a right click on the folder myTasks and select "Create Task"

4.png

and type in a name: I always name them "autoElevatePROGRAMNAME". Here for my expample "autoElevateProcessExplorer" and mark the checkbox "Run with highest priviligies".

5.png

4. go to the tab "Actions" and select the program you want to execute

6.png

and click ok, to create the Task.

5. create a new shortcut on your desktop and type in the following command:

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /RUN /TN "myTasks\autoElevateProcessExplorer"

Q: Do I have to do this for all programs I want to start?
A: Yes

Q: How Do I backup my tasks?
A: make a right click on the task and select "Export" and save it into a XML file and after a reinstall of your Windows
Vista / 7 select "Import Task" and import the XML file again.
Q: How do I start applications with administrator rights at startup?
A: You can copy the shortcut into the startup folder ( C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup ) or run the task with a trigger (in the task creation window to to "triggers" and select "create Trigger" and choose "Begin the task" - "At logon". If you create such an trigger you don't have to put the shortcut into the startup folder.

So I hope I was able to show you how to start applications with elevated rights, without disabling the UAC and without being "annoyed" to accept the UAC prompt. I'm using this technique for 3 years (starting with Vista Beta2 Milestone Builds) now.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

• 5 months later...

I appreciate your efforts to help us out. :)

I've tried your instructions, and yet still when I double-click the shortcut, the UAC prompt still appears. I have even tried right-clicking the shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator" and it still is prompting. :(

Hi,

don't choose "Run as Administrator"! Have you selected the checkbox "Run with highest priviligies"?

André

Aha! I must not have checked that box. Thanks so much, Andre! (sorry, don't know how to make the accent over the 'e' on a PC) :)

Hi, this is my second part of the series "What is the UAC".

People always disable the UAC because there is no way to disable the UAC for a specific program. is this really true?

No, it is not true. There is an build in way to do this!

Q: How can I do this?

A: Use the taskscheduler.

1. Start the computer management MMC snap-in

2. This step is optional: go to Task scheduler Library and make a right click and click "New Folder" (see picture 2)

and type in "myTasks" to create a new folder (see picute 3)

3. Make a right click on the folder myTasks and select "Create Task"

and type in a name: I always name them "autoElevatePROGRAMNAME". Here for my expample "autoElevateProcessExplorer" and mark the checkbox "Run with highest priviligies".

4. go to the tab "Actions" and select the program you want to execute

and click ok, to create the Task.

5. create a new shortcut on your desktop and type in the following command:

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /RUN /TN "myTasks\autoElevateProcessExplorer"

Q: Do I have to do this for all programs I want to start?

A: Yes

Q: How Do I backup my tasks?

A: make a right click on the task and select "Export" and save it into a XML file and after a reinstall of your Windows

Vista / 7 select "Import Task" and import the XML file again.

Q: How do I start applications with administrator rights at startup?

A: You can copy the shortcut into the startup folder ( C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup ) or run the task with a trigger (in the task creation window to to "triggers" and select "create Trigger" and choose "Begin the task" - "At logon". If you create such an trigger you don't have to put the shortcut into the startup folder.

So I hope I was able to show you how to start applications with elevated rights, without disabling the UAC and without being "annoyed" to accept the UAC prompt. I'm using this technique for 3 years (starting with Vista Beta2 Milestone Builds) now.

This doesnt work for me (or shall I restart windows or something?)

I have added the tasks and created the shortcut and run it but still it still says "Do you want to open this program" :S?

Or do you mean that we always should use this shortcut when we want to open (not the orginal exe-file?)

• 1 month later...

I followed your instructions and applies it to Windows 7, Everything worked out fine. And then, when I tried to make a short cut, the command line was incorrect. With a little inventigation, I discovered window 7 uses "tasksch" instead "schtask" as used in step 5. However, changing that part of the line didn't work either. So, a little more investigation, i found this "%Windir% preceeding the command for task scheduler. Can you look into Step 5 for Windows 7? I like to use this for my other programs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Andre,

I think that this is what I've been looking for. I am "in conversion" from XP PRO to Windows 7 (dual boot at the moment) and have a small utility that I'd like to run in Win 7 (Home Premium). It runs in XP PRO SP3 compatibility mode and is called Crystal Internet Meter. It will start manually but requires the UAC OK. I tried your technique here to try to get it to start automatically at start up (which it does in XP PRO) without the UAC message. But every time I try to run the short cut I get a message saying that the utility is already running. But it's not - I've checked the task manager and it is definitely not running.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thank you in anticipation.

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I checked and all compatibility options are off.

Here's the XML...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

<Task version="1.3" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">

<RegistrationInfo>

<Date>2010-06-26T21:15:12.2936476</Date>

<Author>Win7-PC\Win7</Author>

<Description>To Auto-Start Crystal Internet Meter</Description>

</RegistrationInfo>

<Triggers />

<Principals>

<Principal id="Author">

<UserId>Win7-PC\Win7</UserId>

<LogonType>Password</LogonType>

<RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>

</Principal>

</Principals>

<Settings>

<MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>

<DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>true</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>

<StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>

<AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>

<StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>

<RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>

<IdleSettings>

<StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>

<RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>

</IdleSettings>

<AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>

<Enabled>true</Enabled>

<Hidden>false</Hidden>

<RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>

<DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>

<UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>false</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>

<WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>

<ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>

<Priority>7</Priority>

</Settings>

<Actions Context="Author">

<Exec>

<Command>"C:\Program Files\Crystal Internet Meter\cimeter.exe"</Command>

</Exec>

</Actions>

</Task>

Hi Andre,

Thanks for getting back to me. I edited the XML, deleted the current task and tried to import the edited XML but got an error. What paremeter should I set to get the "InteractiveToken" when I rebuild the task from scratch. Also, the utility runs a small window showing the trafiic going up and down the (ADSL) line, so I definitely want to see that window - does your statement "you can't see the UI" imply that I would not be able to see the traffic window?

Thanks again for your help.