Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

xpize 5 Beta 3

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

W3bbo

W3bbo

xpize / Vize Project Lead

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06
I'll begin with the Known Issues list:

• Installer Issues
    • The "Download Tools" feature doesn't work because I haven't configured the server yet, you'll notice the error is 404.
    • Not all strings have been localised. If a localised string is missing the English equivalent will be used as a fallback. I'll need to get the translation volunteers to finish off the tables when it hits final. Let me know of any mistranslations.
    • There is no way to opt-out of checking for updates, which means your IP address will be logged by my server. This is used only for geostatistical purposes and never used to identify you personally.
    • Progress is not shown for the extraction of the package beyond "LZMA".
    • The installer is not customised with xpize banner and watermark images.
    • The "Show Log" button doesn't keep the log window up-to-date.
  • Installation Issues
    • For some reason screensavers aren't being applied. I'm setting the registry key right, but the Display control panel just isn't picking it up. I'm actively investigating.
    • Custom file type icons aren't being set. This is because the code to work with file types hasn't been finished.
    • The UxTheme patcher (based off DeepXW's Universal-patching heuristics-based approach) has not been tested. All but two of the included visual styles are compatible with the original unpatched UxTheme.dll. Let me know if it doesn't work or causes any kind of system error.
  • I386 Installation Issues
    • The installer will refuse to handle the package if its condition="" doesn't match your system (i.e. if you're running XPx64 and want to patch an XPx86 ISO on your computer). Until the next release is out you can bypass this by adding the /ignorePackageCondition command-line switch (note that it is case-sensitive)
    • Custom Windows setup artwork is not applied.
  • Uninstallation Issues
    • Wallpaper files aren't removed, but the wallpaper setting is reset.
    • Cursors aren't removed nor reset to their original setting.
After installing the package, a logfile will be saved to the directory the package was extracted to (find it under %you%\Local Settings\Temp). If it's larger than 29KB then something went wrong. Let me know.

Enjoy.

Edited by W3bbo, 28 June 2009 - 06:18 PM.

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06
Okay, I've compressed it, then packaged it, then turned it into an EXE.

Download it whilst it's hot. Total size: 17.6MB, but it's worth it.

http://www.xpize.net...ds/xpize5B3.exe
Posted Image

clavicle

clavicle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined 28-January 04
I have an issue, where to get beta 3 from?

Thanks a ton!

Now we can get ahead with bug testing phase. :thumbup

Edited by clavicle, 28 June 2009 - 07:33 PM.

zefyx

zefyx

• 13 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08
Oh wow, XPize with x64 support! Thank you W3bbo!

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Uh, it doesn't support x64 yet, read closer :P

That's coming in the next release, which should be a few days away since I've streamlined everything.
Posted Image

clavicle

clavicle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined 28-January 04

Uh, it doesn't support x64 yet, read closer :P

That's coming in the next release, which should be a few days away since I've streamlined everything.

In fact, I was also quite eager to see x64 support! Anyway let's wait for it.

On x32 platform for me, there haven't been any bugs so far.

Great work!

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Joined 06-June 06
Nice, now I hope we see some icon packs from ppl

Edit: One thing, to better localize %ProgramFiles%\Common Files its best to use this variable %CommonProgramFiles% then it will work on all langs

Also I notice none of the special characters are not showing up in the dialog like á é í ó ú does this mean I have to change from ansi-to-oem characters in my translation, same as CMD files?

Edited by ricktendo64, 28 June 2009 - 11:47 PM.

nathanrobinson

nathanrobinson
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-April 09
This supports 2k3 x86, correct?

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

No, 2K3x86 is NT5.2 which uses a slightly different resource arrangement.

The next release, compatible with NT5.2 I hope to release this week, maybe even later today.
Posted Image

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Joined 16-May 05
Thanks webber.

IceBlackIce> ill just take you are not a experienced person with coding [source]
^lol

Smiley89

Smiley89

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 27-May 07
Hmm, I'm getting a strange problem.

The installer showed me an error where it says that the package can be installed only on XP x86 SP3... But I AM installing it on an XP SP3 VM! :huh:

PS For the translation, there are some parts which actually I remember I translated but I see they're in english... Will look into it.

EDIT: here's a screenshot.

Posted Image

Edited by Smiley89, 29 June 2009 - 03:51 AM.

My DeviantArt page - Windows XP themes: [link]

McStarfighter

McStarfighter

• 47 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04
I hope to get the 5.2 Edition of XPize soon ... :D

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Hmm, I'm getting a strange problem.

The installer showed me an error where it says that the package can be installed only on XP x86 SP3... But I AM installing it on an XP SP3 VM! :huh:

PS For the translation, there are some parts which actually I remember I translated but I see they're in english... Will look into it.

EDIT: here's a screenshot.

Posted Image

That is bizarre. I'm working on a little program that should help solve the problem, until then you can use the /ignorePackageCondition command-line switch to bypass the condition check.
Posted Image

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06
For all of those having problems with error messages about "This package can only be installed..." please download and run this from the command-line:

http://anol.is/misc/ConditionTest.zip

Paste your results here or to Pastebin.

Instructions: Open up cmd.exe, go to the Options page and enable Quick Edit mode, then type the name of the program to run it. When the results are printed to the screen drag a selection rectangle and right-click (this will copy it to your clipboard), then paste it here or on Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/

Edited by W3bbo, 29 June 2009 - 10:26 AM.

Posted Image

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06
A word on x64 support:

I've just done some preliminary testing on an x64 VM (hurrah for Sun's VirtualBox). And I'm pleased to announce that it works acceptably well if you're after a stopgap solution. Please note the following errata:

a ) MSTSC.exe and a few other files aren't patched as it has a different version in NT5.2SP2 compared to NT5.1SP3.
b ) A few bitmaps in Shell32.dll aren't patched, nor is the photo wizard patched
c ) UxTheme.dll is not patched. I'm investigating. Note that the Microsoft-signed themes do work.
d ) Only the 'true' x64 files under C:\windows\system32 are patched. The x86 files under C:\Windows\SysWow64 are not patched. I'll correct this in the next release.

To install it on x64, just add the /ignorePackageCondition switch when launching from the command-line.

Happy x64 computing :)

Edited by W3bbo, 29 June 2009 - 01:32 PM.

Posted Image

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06
Another update:

I've found the reason why the condition check was failing on some systems: I programmed it to identify numbers using your local computer's number format. So if you're on mainland Europe or Russia then a decimal number looks like '5,1' rather than '5.1' which is why it doesn't recognise your system as being the right version.

I'll fix this in the next release.
Posted Image

Kaminari

Kaminari

• 17 posts
  • Joined 29-July 07
Install went smoothly on my SP3 x86, except that the uxtheme lib doesn't seem to be patched. MS-signed themes do work (Embedded, Zune), but I don't have access to any of my custom themes.
Posted Image

Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 GHz | Radeon HD4850 512 MB | DDR2 4.0 GB | XP Pro SP3 | XPize 5.0 R6

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06

Install went smoothly on my SP3 x86, except that the uxtheme lib doesn't seem to be patched. MS-signed themes do work (Embedded, Zune), but I don't have access to any of my custom themes.

Yeah, I think the reason the UxTheme patches are failing is because I forgot to actually tell it to patch it :P

Can you open up the generated logfile? Near the bottom there should be an exception report.
Posted Image

nathanrobinson

nathanrobinson
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-April 09

No, 2K3x86 is NT5.2 which uses a slightly different resource arrangement.

The next release, compatible with NT5.2 I hope to release this week, maybe even later today.

You rock man! Thanks.
-nate

zefyx

zefyx

• 13 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08
Working great on Windows XP x64! I'll be digging around it looking for bugs besides the ones you mentioned above, thanks W3bbo!

clavicle

clavicle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined 28-January 04
Welcome to to world of colorful x64 platform.

Thanks once again for disclosing that switch option to install it on x64.

It certainly is great bit!

no_one

no_one
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 29-June 09
Umm...I have a log-on screen that is black and grey, a wee little green short-cut arrow on my short-cuts, the taskbar and start menu properties menu has turned to Zune and I have an embedded theme, I also have an Anolis folder in program files with a Xpize back-up folder in it.

1. How do I change the log-in screen theme back.

2. How do I remove the Xpize package.

I ask this as there is no Xpize anything that I can remove with Revo or similar, or is it that I can utilise the Anolis installer to re-install from the Xpize back-up folder...and if that is the case, can I also use the Anolis installer to install other non genuine themes, but most of all I want to change the log-on screen and the taskbar menu back.

Oh, and I find that the embedded theme is very hard on my eyes.

Regards.

Ps, if any icons apart from the short-cut arrow have been changed, then they are hiding from me.

vartaxe

vartaxe

• 16 posts
  • Joined 04-October 05
downloading right now let's begin bug tracking :sneaky:

Smiley89

Smiley89

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 27-May 07

I've found the reason why the condition check was failing on some systems: I programmed it to identify numbers using your local computer's number format. So if you're on mainland Europe or Russia then a decimal number looks like '5,1' rather than '5.1' which is why it doesn't recognise your system as being the right version.

I'll fix this in the next release.

After running the condition test, I can confirm that this is the problem.
Here's the test's result:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symbols
		osversion	   5,1
		servicepack	 3
		architecture	32
		installlang	 1040

Expression
		ToString()	  ( osversion == 5.1 && servicepack == 3 && architecture == 32 )
		Tokenize		'(', 'osversion', '==', '5.1', '&&', 'servicepack', '==', '3', '&&', 'architecture', '==','32', ')'
Evaluate
Result:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symbols
		osversion	   5,1
		servicepack	 3
		architecture	32
		installlang	 1040

Expression
		ToString()	  ( osversion == 5.2 && servicepack == 2 && architecture == 32 )
		Tokenize		'(', 'osversion', '==', '5.2', '&&', 'servicepack', '==', '2', '&&', 'architecture', '==', '32', ')'
Evaluate
Result:

Symbols
		osversion	   5,1
		servicepack	 3
		architecture	32
		installlang	 1040

Expression
		ToString()	  ( osversion == 5.2 && servicepack == 2 && architecture == 64 )
		Tokenize		'(', 'osversion', '==', '5.2', '&&', 'servicepack', '==', '2', '&&', 'architecture', '==', '64', ')'
Evaluate
Result:

I found a temporary workaround: I changed the decimal symbol from "," to "." in "International and Language settings".

Now installed fine.
I found a couple of small issues too:
- Some elements in Internet Explorer 8 aren't patched (I suppose because IE8 isn't supported ATM);
- One really minor issue: after reboot, there was no visual style applied (Classic mode). I applied it manually and it worked (unsigned themes work, too). ;)

Edited by Smiley89, 30 June 2009 - 12:41 PM.

My DeviantArt page - Windows XP themes: [link]

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developer
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 14-June 06
I'm going to work on optimising the distribution for size at the cost of installation speed:

Since it includes the Blue, Black, MCE, Luna Element (and now Energy Blue) resource bitmaps which are pretty much identical spare for their background image, I've decided to get it so that the bitmaps are procedurally generated during installation. This will probably shave about 6MB from the total download size, getting it down to around 11MB. Then with further optimisations I'll get it even lower (maybe even down to below 10MB).

Furthermore, I'll add an installation option that prevents the addition of the 128x128 icon size for compatibility with localised Windows installations that became unstable with 128x128 icons.

And of course, first-class x64 support.

From the statistics front: various figures added together report about 12,000 attempts at downloading the software over the past 2 days, yet only about 2,000 were actually complete downloads, but only about 100 (if not less) seem to have been installed (because when you install it it'll try to download the package update info). So unless 1,900 people have skipped the update check (unlikely) don't trust any download figures you see.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users