Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

xpize 5 Beta 3

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

W3bbo

W3bbo

xpize / Vize Project Lead

• Developers
  • 473 posts

Umm...I have a log-on screen that is black and grey, a wee little green short-cut arrow on my short-cuts, the taskbar and start menu properties menu has turned to Zune and I have an embedded theme, I also have an Anolis folder in program files with a Xpize back-up folder in it.

That's what happens when you check all the options without considering what it does :) I'm thinking of a way to make the process more user-friendly, but it's difficult. Until then I think the treeview to select a colour scheme works... for now.

1. How do I change the log-in screen theme back.

If you load the uninstallation package as an installation package then uncheck everything except logonui.exe, your Welcome Screen will be restored.

2. How do I remove the Xpize package.

Run the xpize5B3.exe program again and choose the Uninstall/Undo option, then select the backup directory. Alternatively to have a more granular control over what's restored run the backup package as an installation package and choose the items to restore.

I ask this as there is no Xpize anything that I can remove with Revo or similar

Revo won't help you.

, or is it that I can utilise the Anolis installer to re-install from the Xpize back-up folder...

The backup folder is used to restore your system to the state it was in prior to installing the package. It pretty much does the same thing as System Restore, except it's slightly safer (since it checks if the files have been modified after installing xpize) and also covers all changes, not just those to Windows' system files.

and if that is the case, can I also use the Anolis installer to install other non genuine themes

Only if you define an Anolis Package for it. Otherwise just drop any unsigned themes into your %windir%\Resources\Themes directory. Anolis Installer is not a theme manager, but a "transformation pack" system. Although I might expand its remit in future. Watch this space.

but most of all I want to change the log-on screen and the taskbar menu back.

Oh, and I find that the embedded theme is very hard on my eyes.

Blame Microsoft, they developed it :)

You'll find other visual styles installed besides Embedded. I'm personally quite partial to Royale Noir and Luna Element.

Ps, if any icons apart from the short-cut arrow have been changed, then they are hiding from me.

You're not looking hard enough. There are 1139 icons updated in xpize 5 Beta 3, such as the icons that appear in the Internet Explorer control panel, or the tools in MSPaint. This is in addition to the 148 bitmaps that are updated to remove the Windows 2000 look.

Edited by W3bbo, 01 July 2009 - 10:36 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

braian-k

braian-k
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hello, thank you very much for this beta, I've been trying XPize for a long time when I had XP x86, so since I changed to XP x64 I hadn't used XPize, but now I tried this one with XP x64 and it's working really good! Thank you very much! Waiting for the final release...

MrBusty

MrBusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

That's what happens when you check all the options without considering what it does :) I'm thinking of a way to make the process more user-friendly, but it's difficult. Until then I think the treeview to select a colour scheme works... for now.

Pictures are always good in this case!
If there were an option to browse all resources of the selected package during the installation, users can see with just on quick look, what the package is going to change.
Maybe its even better to show the current system resource next to the new one from the package.

Do you think, that is possible?

Mystiqq

Mystiqq
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Installed the latest version on my new rig (XP SP3) and noticed this (image below, white pixel borders thing) when using "remote desktop". Seems like problem with transparency/alpha? Whatever it is, it ain't pretty. :)

Also mentioning the default backup location somewhere other than in the installer would be great, like in FAQ/Help. I spent sometime trying to find out where it actually made the backup. After restoring from backup the icons are working without problems when using remote desktop.

Posted Image

beats

beats

Free cookies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

xpize 5 Beta 3
Why are you still using Windows XP?

Lol, without Windows XP there would be no xpize for Windows XP. ;)

Corsair

Corsair
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

in my xp pro Spaniard SP3, after unzipping everything it says me that only "compatible in windows xp sp3" :blink: :blink:

really strange.

Smiley89

Smiley89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
See the post above:

I've found the reason why the condition check was failing on some systems: I programmed it to identify numbers using your local computer's number format. So if you're on mainland Europe or Russia then a decimal number looks like '5,1' rather than '5.1' which is why it doesn't recognise your system as being the right version.

I'll fix this in the next release.

I found a temporary workaround: I changed the decimal symbol from "," to "." in "International and Language settings".

;)

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Anyone that's using Vista should seriously consider upgrading to Windows XP.

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developers
  • 473 posts
Beta 4 will introduce dynamically generated bitmap resources to drastically reduce the size of the xpize distribution, but these bitmap resources are 24-bit (earlier they were 256-color) which makes them much larger.

I'm not anticipating any problems, but some of you have reported issues with 128x128 icons which are double the size of earlier icons.

If anyone has had problems with 128x128 icons, or problems with xpize 5 in general let me know so I can resolve or prepare for them.

MrBusty

MrBusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
W3bbo: what do you think about my suggestion? - Is this something, what you could bring into being?

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developers
  • 473 posts

W3bbo: what do you think about my suggestion? - Is this something, what you could bring into being?

I'm thinking about it.

no_one

no_one
  • Members
  • 2 posts
W3bbo, thank you for your reply...and you are right about the extra icons and such.....actually, you are spot on with every answer to my uninformed and ill considered questions.

You effort with this Xpize is much appreciated and I for one am looking forward to further developments.

Regards.

McStarfighter

McStarfighter

• Members
  • 47 posts
A little question: When will there be a Server 2003 edition of XPize available?

vartaxe

vartaxe

• Members
  • 16 posts
please add the windows embedded theme :whistle:

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developers
  • 473 posts

W3bbo, thank you for your reply...and you are right about the extra icons and such.....actually, you are spot on with every answer to my uninformed and ill considered questions.

You effort with this Xpize is much appreciated and I for one am looking forward to further developments.

Regards.

Is that sarcasm? I honestly can't tell.

I'm thinking about it.

I think I may have found a way to implement it, but there's no way I can get it done for the next (and hopefully final) xpize release. It's just that my "package" system is modelled on the idea of an "install and forget" paradigm, rather than the "theme chooser" system that others have gone down (e.g. StyleXP, Icon Packager, CandyBar).

Whilst my engine can be re-used in a "theme chooser"-type software, it remains to be seen if there's a case for it.

A little question: When will there be a Server 2003 edition of XPize available?

Windows Server 2003 (both x86 and x64) is supported in the next release by virtue of supporting Windows XP x64 (as they're all Windows NT5.2). You can install it on WS2003 right now by adding the /ignorePackageCondition switch when launching from the command-line.

please add the windows embedded theme :whistle:

The Embedded theme is already included in the latest Beta, it's installed by default but isn't set as the default style because it really isn't that attractive (it's just a hue-shifted version of Royale).

MrBusty

MrBusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

I think I may have found a way to implement it, but there's no way I can get it done for the next (and hopefully final) xpize release. It's just that my "package" system is modelled on the idea of an "install and forget" paradigm, rather than the "theme chooser" system that others have gone down (e.g. StyleXP, Icon Packager, CandyBar).

Whilst my engine can be re-used in a "theme chooser"-type software, it remains to be seen if there's a case for it.

Don't worry and take your time!
I just think that this would be a really cool feature and I would really glad to see in xpize at any time - no need, that it has to be in the next release. :)

nathanrobinson

nathanrobinson
  • Members
  • 9 posts
I'm having problems running this against a i386 directory. (I select the options i want to install, then when it prompts where to install - i select I386. The location that I select is a server2k3x86 cd copied to my hdd, I point it to the I386 directory)

I get repeated errors such as the following:

2009-07-14T20:43:50 - Error - Exception: - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\msonsext.dll
Value cannot be null.
at Anolis.Core.Extensions.GetFile(DirectoryInfo directory, String relativeFileName)
at Anolis.Core.Packages.Operations.PatchOperation.I386Prepare(String path, String& workingFilePath, String& i386FilePath)
at Anolis.Core.Packages.Operations.PatchOperation.Execute()
at Anolis.Core.Packages.Package.Execute(PackageExecutionSettings settings)

It repeats this for every file it tries to modify. Any suggestions?

W3bbo

W3bbo

• Developers
  • 473 posts

I'm having problems running this against a i386 directory. (I select the options i want to install, then when it prompts where to install - i select I386. The location that I select is a server2k3x86 cd copied to my hdd, I point it to the I386 directory)

I get repeated errors such as the following:

2009-07-14T20:43:50 - Error - Exception: - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\msonsext.dll
Value cannot be null.
at Anolis.Core.Extensions.GetFile(DirectoryInfo directory, String relativeFileName)
at Anolis.Core.Packages.Operations.PatchOperation.I386Prepare(String path, String& workingFilePath, String& i386FilePath)
at Anolis.Core.Packages.Operations.PatchOperation.Execute()
at Anolis.Core.Packages.Package.Execute(PackageExecutionSettings settings)

It repeats this for every file it tries to modify. Any suggestions?

This is a known issue, fixed in my internal builds. Wait a few days.

nathanrobinson

nathanrobinson
  • Members
  • 9 posts

This is a known issue, fixed in my internal builds. Wait a few days.

Ya killing me man!

Thanks for working on this however :thumbup

Seeing as how I'm dying to get my 2k3 install finished... any possibility of an interim release or "availability"?

DADOZ83

DADOZ83

• Members
  • 20 posts

Hmm, I'm getting a strange problem.

The installer showed me an error where it says that the package can be installed only on XP x86 SP3... But I AM installing it on an XP SP3 VM! :huh:

PS For the translation, there are some parts which actually I remember I translated but I see they're in english... Will look into it.

EDIT: here's a screenshot.

Posted Image

That is bizarre. I'm working on a little program that should help solve the problem, until then you can use the /ignorePackageCondition command-line switch to bypass the condition check.

Hi,
I've got the some error message, but I don't understand what you mean with "until then you can use the /ignorePackageCondition command-line switch to bypass the condition check."
Please can you tell me step by step what can I do to install the package without the error message? :thumbup

Thnx a lot!!! :hello:

MrBusty

MrBusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Hi,
I've got the some error message, but I don't understand what you mean with "until then you can use the /ignorePackageCondition command-line switch to bypass the condition check."
Please can you tell me step by step what can I do to install the package without the error message? :thumbup

Hey DADOZ, don't keep w3bbo busy with postings - he has to concentrate on xpize! ;)
*g*

Do following:

1.) click the Start button
2.) goto Run text field and type "cmd.exe"
3.) it opens a console window, where you have to navigate to the folder, where the Anolis Installer is located
- use "cd.." to jump one folder back
- use "cd\" to jump back to the root
- use "cd [NAME]" to select a specific file or folder (replace "[NAME]" with the actual name of your target - you can use tab for auto suggestions)
4.) if you reached the right folder, you have to enter the name of the executable, followed by a whitespace and the option "/ignorePackageCondition"
e.g.: "Installer.exe /ignorePackageCondition"

You can also create a shortcut to the Anolis Installer and add the option "/ignorePackageCondition" to the exectuive path.

But w3bbo wants to release Beta4/RC1/Final tomorrow - so I suggest, that you should wait until then. ;)

Edited by MrBusty, 17 July 2009 - 07:43 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN