Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

:whistle: Hi! I'm brand new to this forum, but sure glad I found it. I have a new ASUS M4A77TD-PRO motherboard with AMD 770/SB710 chipset. I was surprised to find no floppy drive capability on the mobo, and went looking for a way to install XP on a RAID set. All roads seemed to point to nLite slipstreaming, so that's what I have tried, but with no success until I read this forum. I think the problem stems from the version of RAID "F6" software provided on the mobo support DVD. When I read about Fernando 1's package he provided (see his post above), I downloaded it and tried it, and it worked! I presume the 9-4 and 9-6 he refers to are the Catalyst version numbers, and I don't know which Catalyst version would have the files on my support DVD. I do note that the latest Catalyst version is 9-8, and at the risk of burning another coaster, I may try that one. But the 9-4 version provided by Fernando works, and I just wanted to pass that info on for anyone else out there who may be struggling with this mobo. :thumbup

Incidentally, the RAID drivers that didn't work came from this folder on the DVD:

Drivers\RAID\Driver\WinXP\x86

I also ran the "makedisk" utility and wrote the results to a local hard drive and used that folder for the slipstreaming, but that didn't work either.

@ actor:

Welcome at MSFN Forums and thanks for your feedback.

You are right regarding the SB driver versions. 9-4 means Catalyst 9.4 and 9-8 would be part of the Catalyst 9.8 series.

It would be interesting to know, if the newest ATI SB7xx AHCI/RAID drivers named WHQL_SB7xx_RAID_XP_WS03_3.1.1540.127.zip

a ) really are as new as the Catalyst display driver v9.8 and

b ) will support your special SB7xx chipset.

ATI's SB7xx AHCI/RAID drivers v9-4 natively do support much more SATA Controllers than the later ones.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was wong regarding the name of the ATI AHCI/RAID driver.

Edited by Fernando 1

I believe that the files on my support DVD correspond to the Catalyst version 9.8, since both refernce the same miniport number:

Microsoft Windows miniport driver 3.1.1540.127

I am not sure about that, because the actual ATI AHCI/RAID drivers (download link) are dated 05/22/2009.

• 3 weeks later...
Remarks:
  • Contrary to the v9-6 RAID drivers the v9-4 ones do support nearly all available AMD/ATI SB7xx RAID Controllers.
  • I have reorganized the driver folder structure and the content of the TXTSETUP.OEM file to minimize the failure risk during the XP installation.

Have fun!

Fernando

Hi Fernando, I can almost kiss you for the (for me) most usefull post in the history. :thumbup

Yesterday I was installing Windows 2003 Server R2 after I got my server a new motherboard (Asus M4A785TD-V EVO). Then I ran in so much troubles getting AHCI to work. First I tried to slipstream the drivers from disk but that only resulted in BSOD's.

Then after 7 CD's (don't ask) and lots of frustration I ran into your ZIP with x64 drivers. I tried them.. and I got so surprised they worked! So thanks! And I thought I just had to register also to tell people the same zip was also working for me using Windows 2003 x64.

Grtz,

Oscar

(2) How do you do the same thing in Windows 2000? I slipstreamed AHCI SATA drivers into the installation CD but Win2K will still not install.
Windows 2000 does not fully support AHCI.
However: does ahcix86.sys support Windows 2000?
Not really (see above).

Thank you. Are you saying that Windows 2000 cannot be installed on a machine with AMD 790GX/SB750 chipset?

Have you tested for sure?

Does that include all of the new socket AM3 mobos from Asus & Gigabyte. Would Win2k run in IDE mode as I mentioned above?

Are you saying that Windows 2000 cannot be installed on a machine with AMD 790GX/SB750 chipset?
No, that is a wrong conclusion of my post. It is no problem to get Windows 2000 installed onto such system, but the AMD/ATI SATA Controllers should be set to "IDE Mode". That means, that the AHCI support of the SATA Controllers have to be turned off within the BIOS.
No, my post is just a logical conclusion of the fact, that no AHCI supporting W2k drivers are availble. W2k is an OS, which was developed at a time where AHCI support was not actual at all.
Does that include all of the new socket AM3 mobos from Asus & Gigabyte. Would Win2k run in IDE mode as I mentioned above?
Double answer: Yes. Edited by Fernando 1

Are you saying that Windows 2000 cannot be installed on a machine with AMD 790GX/SB750 chipset?
No, that is a wrong conclusion of my post. It is no problem to get Windows 2000 installed onto such system, but the AMD/ATI SATA Controllers should be set to "IDE Mode". That means, that the AHCI support of the SATA Controllers have to be turned off within the BIOS.
No, my post is just a logical conclusion of the fact, that no AHCI supporting W2k drivers are availble. W2k is an OS, which was developed at a time where AHCI support was not actual at all.
Double answer: Yes.

I used IDE mode in BIOS and slipstreamed Win2k with 2 different versions of AHCI driver, but Win2k would not recognize disks connected to the SATA controller. (Although I assume Win2k would work with disks connected to the 40-pin IDE controller.) That’s disappointing because Win2k works fine with NVIDIA chipsets.

I assume that Win2k must have a SATA driver since none is included with the original OS. What version of AHCI works with Win2k and AMD/ATI SB7xx southbridge?

Phenomic, I think Fernando_1 answered your last question with this sentence: my post is just a logical conclusion of the fact, that no AHCI supporting W2k drivers are available. W2k is an OS, which was developed at a time where AHCI support was not actual at all.

So officially there are no AHCI drivers for Win2000; however, see if THIS could do anything for you.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you enable AHCI mode AFTER you have installed XP?

Copy file ahcix86.sys to system32\drivers. Import this reg settings

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1002&cc_0106]
"Service"="ahcix86"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Tag"=dword:00000021
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\ahcix86.sys"
"Group"="SCSI Miniport"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Parameters\PnpInterface]
"5"=dword:00000001

Goto BIOS, set AHCI. Reboot.

I believe that the files on my support DVD correspond to the Catalyst version 9.8, since both refernce the same miniport number:

Microsoft Windows miniport driver 3.1.1540.127

I am not sure about that, because the actual ATI AHCI/RAID drivers (download link) are dated 05/22/2009.

So after I installed the drivers from Fernando 1's post according the guide of cdob, only exchanging x86 with x64, I managed to make my Win XP x64 boot with AHCI mode enabled in bios on my M3A H/HDMI mobo (BIOS version 1702) but the result was not what was expected. After the successful first boot it found new hardware and i pointed the driver folder for the AHCI driver and everything was installed correct after one more restart all was working normally, but i could not determine wether the hot swaping function is active nor NCQ or something went wrong. When i opened the device manager i found this:post-262967-1254957344_thumb.jpg

I managed to find info about Intell chipset systems and how windows recognizes drives there HERE but nothing like that appeared in my case.

Also Everest and HD Tune could not read the hard drive smart info or thermal sensors. So what went wrong and how should i fix it?

Edited by Volt

So after I installed the drivers from Fernando 1's post according the guide of cdob, only exchanging x86 with x64, I managed to make my Win XP x64 boot with AHCI mode enabled in bios on my M3A H/HDMI mobo (BIOS version 1702) but the result was not what was expected.
The picture of your Device Manager shows, that you are running the AMD/ATI SATA Controller in RAID Mode (and not in AHCI Mode).
Also Everest and HD Tune could not read the hard drive smart info or thermal sensors. So what went wrong and how should i fix it?
You should make sure, that RAID is disabled and S.M.A.R.T. enabled within the BIOS.

The picture of your Device Manager shows, that you are running the AMD/ATI SATA Controller in RAID Mode (and not in AHCI Mode).

I was using IDE mode before and have only enables AHCI mode (i have never enabled RAID or used a raid configuration)

http://img522.imageshack.us/i/dscn3627z.jpg/

You should make sure, that RAID is disabled and S.M.A.R.T. enabled within the BIOS.

http://img390.imageshack.us/i/dscn3623.jpg/

http://img408.imageshack.us/i/dscn3628.jpg/

http://img230.imageshack.us/i/dscn3632.jpg/

http://img408.imageshack.us/i/dscn3629v.jpg/

These are pictures i took from bios while AHCI is enables (changing back to IDE changed nothing anyway) i found no other options for RAID or AHCI in the BIOS and in windows i have absolutely no idea how to change RAID mode with AHCI :wacko::blink:

Enabling SMART from bios made no difference whatsoever :}

Thanks for the time and effort :)

Edited by Volt

My device manager looks similar with AHCI mode enabled, if AHCI is disabled in BIOS the whole "SCSI" tree is gone. And likewise, Speedfan is unable to read HD temps and SMART info in AHCI mode, but works fine in IDE. My mobo is Asus M4A78T-E and I didn't benchmark with/without AHCI to see if there's any improvement.

Maybe I was wrong with my last post.

After having done a deeper look into the TXTSETUP.OEM and AHCIx86.INF file of the 32bit AMD/ATI textmode driver for Windows XP I found out, that AMD/ATI obviously has put the word "RAID" into the names of all "AHCI" devices (Controllers and Console). This is strange and absolutely misleading.

@ Volt:

I think, that you really are running your SATA hdd in AHCI Mode (as your BIOS settings verify) and can be sure, that the AHCI features (hot plugging and NCQ) are supported.

S.M.A.R.T. is no AHCI feature. If the used SATA drivers do not give you the S.M.A.R.T. informations although it has been enabled within the BIOS, you can get the informations nevertheless by using the tool CrystalDiskInfo. You can get it here: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDi...fo/index-e.html

Double answer: Yes.

I used IDE mode in BIOS and slipstreamed Win2k with 2 different versions of AHCI driver, but Win2k would not recognize disks connected to the SATA controller. (Although I assume Win2k would work with disks connected to the 40-pin IDE controller.) That’s disappointing because Win2k works fine with NVIDIA chipsets.

I assume that Win2k must have a SATA driver since none is included with the original OS. What version of AHCI works with Win2k and AMD/ATI SB7xx southbridge?

Good morning Fernando. I posted above about both Win2000 and XP because they're basically the same OS. Do you have a recommended procedure for installing Win2k on the new AM3 mobos with AMD/ATI 790GX/SB750?

Asus website is showing Win2k support for M4A79T Deluxe and chipset drivers available for download.

Thanks.