Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

Hello all! Great Thread.

After seeing that it is possible to change to AHCI post install, I wonder if there is a way to actually migrate and IDE mode install to a RAID setup. Here is my setup and how I think I could do it:

Windows XP SP3

Gigabyte MA790X-UDP3 - SB750

2x 74GB - One currently holds the operating system and the other is empty.

1x 250GB

Copy the driver and apply the registry edit in the live operating system.

Reboot with BARTPe or Live Linux Distribution

Copy the entire contents from the current drive to the storage disk, possibly back up the MBR

Reboot, change BIOS to RAID mode.

Initialize the array with the RAID BIOS.

Boot from CD, format new array with NTFS, copy boot sector or reinstall with some recovery disk.

Copy storage disk back to new array.

Reboot, hopefully into windows.

I want to know if this seems even remotely possible. I have never used BARTPe and is suspect that I would need to integrate the RAID drivers in order to see the array in order to format. I'm able to use a Linux Live cd, but I'm not sure if I can use it to format the array the new array NTFS. As far as the boot sector, is it possibly to just take the first sector and copy it in using the GNU dd tool? Or would it need to be install with BARTPe or my actual Windows Xp disk in recovery mode. Other the all the files stored in the volume and the MBR is there anything else needed to boot? Is there anything else to cover when it comes to simply copying the contents from one disk to the other?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by prophase

@ prophase:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

You cannot compare the switch from IDE to AHCI mode with a switch from IDE to RAID mode, especially not, if you are planning to create a RAID0 array, which is the best option to have a performance boost.

Here are my additional questions:

1. Which sort of RAID array do you want to create (RAID0 or RAID1)?

2. Why did you post your problem into the nLite thread? What has is to do with the tool nLite?

Regards

Fernando

Hello Fernando!

1. I would like to create a RAID 0. The single disk is almost full and I would definitively like to benefit from the speed boost.

2. I didn't realize this was nLite specific until after I posted. This thread was the closest I could find to what I was trying to do and so I started from there. We can have it moved to a more appropriate place.

1. I would like to create a RAID 0. The single disk is almost full and I would definitively like to benefit from the speed boost
You may try the procedure you have posted, but I recommend to do the following:

1. Save your important data.

2. Create a Windows XP SP3 CD with integrated appropriate RAID driver by using the tool nLite.

3. Enable RAID within the BIOS and create the RAID0 array.

4. Install the OS onto a freshly created and formatted RAID partition.

Regards

Fernando

I want to know if this seems even remotely possible.
This should be possible.

CC_0106 refers to AHCI mode. CC_0104 refers to RAID mode.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1002&cc_0104]

That's one line.

Yes, add RAID drivers to BartPE. Integrated help files describe requirements.

Or ask at http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showforum=30

Gigabyte MA790X-UDP3 - SB750

2x 74GB - One currently holds the operating system and the other is empty.

1x 250GB

There is another aproach.

Read your motherboard manual. Attach current system hard disk to Port 4 or Port 5.

Goto BIOS. Set RAID mode, but IDE emulation for Port4/5.

Boot XP, system is at IDE mode still.

And RAID controller is available. install RAID driver.

Clone system to 250GB.

Connect 2x 74GB to Port 1 and Port 2. Build RAID. Boot 250GB hard disk. Clone system to RAID.

Thank you for that info! I have started to give some serious thought to upgrading to Windows 7, for me fresh install will be followed by hours of reinstalling my applications. I figure at that point might as well. That was the primary reason for simply changing my current install to RAID mode.

• 1 month later...

As a reply (and result) to post #101, I'm happy to report that the modded 32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.2.1548.37is working like a charm.

Cheers

Thank you sb. But the above specifically mentions that these are _not_ meant for SB600.

On that note, I have been searching all over the internet about anyone else facing the same issue with an SB600 ATI southbridge and yes, this specific southbridge definitely has something against Windows XP (or vice versa).

SO i gave up on XP+SB600+AHCI... I'm using Windows 7 for my AHCI dreams (and any benefits that I was looking for)... Win7 had in-built AHCI support for my mobo and it works like a charm.

T y v m :)

• 3 months later...
I found this today by chance, and it is the latest (non-modified) version, so I'm attaching it here.
Thanks for your searching, finding and uploading these new AMD AHCI/RAID textmode drivers for Windows XP/XPx64 dated 04/06/2010 (32bit) resp. 03/24/2010 (64bit).

Since the original AMD textmode drivers v3.2.1548.37

1. only will support AMD SB7xx AHCI/RAID and AMD SB8xx RAID systems and
  2. have some needless entries within the TXTSETUP.OEM files, which may cause error messages regarding "missing files" while installing the OS,

I have customized them.

Here are the download links to the original and WHQL certified drivers, where I have just cleaned the TXTSETUP.OEM files:

>32bit AMD SB7xx & SB8xx AHCI/RAID driver v3.2.1548.37 prepared for the XP integration<

>64bit AMD SB7xx & SB8xx AHCI/RAID driver v3.2.1548.37 prepared for the XP x64 integration<

Attention:

• These drivers will not work with AMD SB6xx chipsets, because the HardwareID's are missing!

Users with an AMD SB6xx chipset mainboard, who want to use these newest AMD textmode drivers for Windows XP (32/64bit), may try one of these drivers, which have been customized by me:
>32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.2.1548.37 for XP mod by Fernando<
>64bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.2.1548.37 for XPx64 mod by Fernando<
Attention:
  • These packages do contain the original 32/64bit AMD driver. I have only customized the associated text files with the suffix ".OEM" and ".INF".
  • Due to the customization the driver has lost the WHQL stamp, but this doesn't have any effect on the function of the driver.
  • Although I have done my very best, I cannot guarantee, that they will work for your system.
  • You may try them at own risk.

Good luck!

Fernando

Great thread, I registered and revived it, for I need some guidance.

I see amd's newest driver raid (ahci) cat 11-5 has SB850 03/14/2011 (3.3.1540.13) in it and the SB750 is 03/17/2009 (3.1.1540.127) Whereas Fernando's SBxxx mod is 3.2.1548.37 - from catalyst #??

I currently dual boot xp pro x86 and w7 pro x64 (separate hdds) I currently run a gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H (790GX and SB750) and I am going to put in an SSD in the near future for the w7 drive and I will be reformatting the XP drive also as I will be changing from ide to sata mode in BIOS and would like to slipstream the drivers into my SP3 cd.

I am just wondering if I should use Fernando's old 'above' mod, or try to slipstream the newer AMD drivers?? Fernando, does your mod support both the SB7xx and SB8xx?? I also plan a mobo upgrade to SB850 in the future also.

Can you do another driver mod for nlite Fernando or is that too much work/time?

Thanks for the help.

I am just wondering if I should use Fernando's old 'above' mod, or try to slipstream the newer AMD drivers?? Fernando, does your mod support both the SB7xx and SB8xx?

It does support SB7xx, but a user in another topic reported it wasn't working for SB850 I can report 3.3.1540.13 works on SB750 if you install it on a live system, but I can't tell about CD integration. Anyway, download the 3.2.1548.37 drivers, open ahcix86.inf or TXTSETUP.OEM and compare the Hardware IDs to your controller (in Device Manager), especially DEV_438x or DEV_439x. If they match, you should be good to go.

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

I am just wondering if I should use Fernando's old 'above' mod, or try to slipstream the newer AMD drivers?? Fernando, does your mod support both the SB7xx and SB8xx?? I also plan a mobo upgrade to SB850 in the future also.

Currently I am making holidays in a foreign country and only am able to join an Internet Café. I will present freshly modded RAID and Intel driver from AMD when I am back home.

Rgards

Fernando

I am just wondering if I should use Fernando's old 'above' mod, or try to slipstream the newer AMD drivers?? Fernando, does your mod support both the SB7xx and SB8xx?

It does support SB7xx, but a user in another topic reported it wasn't working for SB850 I can report 3.3.1540.13 works on SB750 if you install it on a live system, but I can't tell about CD integration. Anyway, download the 3.2.1548.37 drivers, open ahcix86.inf or TXTSETUP.OEM and compare the Hardware IDs to your controller (in Device Manager), especially DEV_438x or DEV_439x. If they match, you should be good to go.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply and info.

I am currently running XP in IDE mode, and plan to run SATA mode on my upcoming format, so there wasn't really much info in the device manager, since it only showed the IDE channel in device manager and no sata/scsi.

I have extracted and read though several amd drivers now, one thing I noticed is that they don't update the ahci driver very much. As for all the numbers and stuff, I don't really know what all the dev stuff is, as I don't have much experience with software coding.

Currently I am making holidays in a foreign country and only am able to join an Internet Café. I will present freshly modded RAID and Intel driver from AMD when I am back home.

Rgards

Fernando

Wow Awesome!! Thanks Fernando!! Enjoy your holidays.

I look forward to your AMD AHCI XP slipstream driver!!

Sorry for double post.

@ anotherengineer:

Here are my answers to your questions:

I see amd's newest driver raid (ahci) cat 11-5 has SB850 03/14/2011 (3.3.1540.13) in it and the SB750 is 03/17/2009 (3.1.1540.127) Whereas Fernando's SBxxx mod is 3.2.1548.37 - from catalyst #??
The AMD textmode drivers v3.2.1548.37 for Windows XP (32/64bit) are dated 04/06/2010, but I don't remember in which Catalyst package I found these drivers.
I am just wondering if I should use Fernando's old 'above' mod, or try to slipstream the newer AMD drivers??
It depends on the special Southbridge version of your mainboard and the mode of your AMD SATA Controller (AHCI or RAID). Maybe the WHQL certified driver v3.3.1540.13, which is part of the actual Catalyst 11-5, will work with your SB7xx system, although these drivers were only designed by AMD for SB8xx Southbridges.

If the WHQL driver should not detect your SATA hdd while trying to get Windows XP SP3 installed, you may use the AMD textmode driver v3.3.1540.13, which has been modified by me (see below).

Fernando, does your mod support both the SB7xx and SB8xx?? I also plan a mobo upgrade to SB850 in the future also.
The modded driver will definitively support AMD SB8xx Southbridges, the only question is, if they will support SB6xx and SB7xx Southbridges too.

Although I have added all known HardwareID's of these older Southbridges into the INF and OEM files, I am not sure, that the driver itself (that is the file named ahcix86.sys resp. ahcix64.sys) will support these older AMD SATA Controllers.

I have done it for you and other interested users with an AMD RAID system (see below).

@ all users with an AMD SB7xx or SB6xx Southbridge, who want to install Windows XP or XP x64 onto a SATA hdd running in RAID mode:

Here are the download links to the requested modified AMD textmode drivers on the basis of the newest AMD RAID drivers v3.3.1540.13 for Windows XP (32/64bit) dated 03/15/2011:

>32bit AMD SBxxx Textmode Driver v3.3.1540.13 mod by Fernando<

>64bit AMD SBxxx Textmode Driver v3.3.1540.13 mod by Fernando<

Important remarks:

• These drivers have been customized by me for being usable with all AMD Southbridges from SB6xx up. Nevertheless I am not sure, if they will work with all SB6xx and SB7xx RAID systems.
  • Only the text files with the suffix .INF and .OEM have been modified by adding the needed HardwareID's, whereas the original AMD drivers (= SYS files) were not touched at all.
  • Due to the customization the driver has lost the WHQL stamp, but this has no negative effect on the integration or the function of the drivers.
  • You may download and use these modified drivers at own risk.
  • Please report here, if the XP resp. XPx64 installation succeeded with these customized drivers.
    Don't forget to mention your special AMD Southbridge. If possible, please post the special HardwareID's of your AMD SATA Controller. You will get them this way:
    • Open the Device Manager and search for a Device named "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller".
    • Then do a right click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's".

Good luck!

Regards

Fernando

EDIT1:

Meanwhile I found HardwareID's of several OEM systems, which have not been regarded by me, when I started to modify the INF and OEM text files. That is why I have replaced the linked modded 32/64bit AMD SBxxx AHCI and RAID driverpacks v3.3.1540.13 by new ones at 06/06. So it may be possible, that these drivers now are usable with even more AMD chipset AHCI/RAID systems.

Important EDIT2:

Recently I have realized, that the TXTSETUP.OEM file of the linked modded 32bit AMD SBxxx AHCI and RAID driver v3.3.1540.13 (see above) had some wrong entries, which may have prevented a proper integration of the related 32bit driver into a Windows XP CD for users with some special AMD SATA Controllers. I am sorry about that.

As a consequence I have now corrected the TXTSETUP.OEM entries and repacked, reuploaded and relinked the modified 32bit version of the AMD SBxxx AHCI and RAID driver v3.3.1540.13 at 06/16/2011. After having done that, I hope, that this actual driver now can be integrated into a Windows XP-CD without any problems with nearly all SBxxx AHCI and RAID systems.

Users, who had already downloaded the previous (uncorrect) 32bit driver version, should download this actual version again, because the mistake within the TXTSETUP.OEM of the earlier presented package may have been responsable for the failure of the XP installation onto the AMD chipset system running in AHCI or RAID mode.

The 64bit version of the driver was not affected at all and has not been replaced.

Edited by Fernando 1

@ all users with an AMD SB7xx or SB6xx Southbridge, who want to install Windows XP or XP x64 onto a SATA hdd running in RAID mode:

Here are the download links to the requested modified AMD textmode drivers on the basis of the newest AMD RAID drivers v3.3.1540.13 for Windows XP (32/64bit) dated 03/15/2011

Does that mean they will not work in AHCI mode on XP x86? Like I mentioned in post #130, they do work on a live system.

Cheers