Win2k "NT4-ified"

Well, patience and will are key.

I'll be sure to check your fileset as its indeed better to prevent than to mop-up the mess, but firstly, I'll try to compile a 2k setup as in Vorck's tutorial and then check the files. Tidying-up the registry with a modded setup will come probably at a later stage (after I decide on what to throw-away).

Now if I could just find a way to fiddle with files so that 2k would boot from CD... (yeah, I know, I know, but one can dream)

There is a way, though cannot say if it will be of your liking. :unsure:

It involves the use of a special (was Commercial) driver, of which I have a copy of the Demo, which will work allright, but will reboot in 20 minutes (if I recall correctly).

The old page was here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=35703&st=3

Via Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060714185751/...roducts/AB.php3

Maybe it is possible to use anyway some of the newish findings and "backport" something like ETBOOT:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3890

or Diskless Angel (free version limited to 640 Mb) or even the 2003 SP1 Ramdisk.

@BogdanV

I'll see if I can find the copies of the "stripped down" Registry, that you may use as a quick reference.

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz.

As for the "Windows 2000 total slipstream " tutorial from vorck.com, the SOURCESS folder was created with no problem, only the iso wasn't generated.

Copied the folder in a virtual machine and triggered Setup from WINNT32.EXE (I386 folder). When copying files, it complained about a missing wm_setup.exe, which I expected as it was said that wmp9 won't be installed with 2K.

Rebooted and at the file copying process, it started warning about missing files :

-acgenral.dll

-layers.dll

-specf.dll

-beartown.bmp (WTF?! Couldn't find the file anywhere on Google)

-cmnquery.dll

-dsquerry.dll

-dssenh.dll

-extenum.ldf

-final1.inf

-final2.inf

-fips.sys

-tltlib.inf

-tltmc.inf

-tltmgr.exe

-irenum.inf

-ldap.inf

The Setup Error Log :

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\rsaenh.dll because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (7e).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\dssenh.dll because of the following error:

Error:

The signature for C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\NT5.CAT is invalid. The error code is 8009200d.

Not a cryptographic message or the cryptographic message is not formatted correctly.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\rsaenh.dll because of the following error:

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\dssenh.dll because of the following error:

Error:

The signature for C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\NT5.CAT is invalid. The error code is 8009200d.

Not a cryptographic message or the cryptographic message is not formatted correctly.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

I've checked DRIVER.CAB and its OK (both SOURCE/SS).

In regards to the FDV files, I haven't changed anything in them.

I checked the KBs & Co from HF against the list of KBs that shouldn't be used with the FDV files; they were all OK.

What did I miss/What could have went wrong ?

Is there any more information I can provide ?

PS. I ran HFSLIP on Windows 7 (with Administrator privileges).

created with no problem, only the iso wasn't generated.

You might be missing the needed files in HFTOOLS. The files you need are at a minimum mkisofs.exe and boot.bin, a 2000 boot sector.

triggered Setup from WINNT32.EXE (I386 folder)

Not supported :whistle:

That's why the missing files. I'd have to gut the DOSNET file and I never wanted to tackle a character mode setup. CD booting is the only supported method.

-beartown.bmp (WTF?! Couldn't find the file anywhere on Google)

You'll want to smack me when I tell you: it's simply included wallpaper. Sorry you went looking :blushing:

What did I miss/What could have went wrong ?

Retry with an ISO of course, as noted above, and you'll be okay, but normally this is a topic for the HFSLIP forum, and they'd ask you to post HFSLIP.LOG. But this happens to be an easy fix. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread got moved, but I can also see its relevance here in this forum too.

Edited by fdv

-NT4 Explorer doesn't seem to use its default icons (probably it accesses a 2k-version library which contains newer icons and not the default NT4 set)

Although not really relevant now, those icons are actually default in NT4 its just they are only used if the Shell Icon BPP is set to 16 instead of the default. Theres an option in the Plus! tab in the NT4 Display Properties to show icons using all possible colours.

post-75318-1247281137_thumb.png

(Usually I dont post full images directly into a thread but at 28K I didn't think anyone would mind.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Placing NT4 Explorer on XP still looks like a buggy method. Meanwhile, I was thinking more from the aspect of using XP Explorer and modify it until the desired NT4 look is there.

Here`s some steps in (almost) achieving an NT4 look:

- A while ago I stumbled upon a small tool that helps bringing back a more Windows 98/2000 style to XP Inexperience Patcher.

-The next step is hiding the Windows flag throbber thing in the upper right corner that was implemented in Windows 98/2000. Remove Throbber

-Last part, which is actually the most difficult to alter are the toolbar buttons used in Explorer. You know, the types that colour up whenever you hover your mouse over them. Now my question is:

Can this toolbar be modified so that it shows the exact same button style as Winnt4? I often hear of programming codes that lets a toolbar button be "standard, with the ld border style" or "flat".

This is what I mean

So did Microsoft use a same sort of alteration during the creation of Windows98/2000/IE4Desktopupdate? And can this still be modified with a hidden setting or hex editing? I already tried looking into Explorer.exe/comctl32.dll/user32.dll to find references to this part but couldn`t find anything to return them from "flat" to "standard(bordered)"

Placing NT4 Explorer on XP still looks like a buggy method. Meanwhile, I was thinking more from the aspect of using XP Explorer and modify it until the desired NT4 look is there.

I guess there is a misunderstanding. :ph34r:

The original thread is not much about "looks" but more about "substance", the idea being to have (as it should be) a more modern NT based system NOT linked in any way to Internet Explorer and all the related nonsense.

jaclaz