Silverlight 3

Bugs Bunny

• 2 months later...

Since I had no application in HFSVCPACK_SW2, I put the original downloaded Silverlight.exe into it.

Then I've canged the line of hfslip-1.7.9_beta_m.cmd from:

SET SW2=/Q:A /R:N

to:

SET SW2=/q

Since Silverlight needs /q for a silent install.

I did a test install with the HFLIPed source and Silverlight got installed at T-13 just fine.

The newest version Silverlight 3 can be downloaded with the same link. Windows update showed no necesary update for Silverlight. Silverlight also shows up under add/remove software.

• 2 weeks later...
Just for your info. U don't really need to change the line of hfslip-1.7.9_bata_m.cmd

Create your application and put it in HFAAO folder is a better approach.

Geej, could you please elaborate? I think most people here (including me) like the open and clean approach of hfslip, which allows us to use the files directly downloaded from Microsoft servers and without further modifications. And from this point of view Bugs Bunny's procedure seems totally fine for me - without relying on specially crafted packages, prepared by third parties and downloaded from other locations.

So how to easily and hassle-free "create my application" for usage with HFAAO out of the Silverlight.exe installer? Thanks in advance!

Geej, could you please elaborate? I think most people here (including me) like the open and clean approach of hfslip, which allows us to use the files directly downloaded from Microsoft servers and without further modifications. And from this point of view Bugs Bunny's procedure seems totally fine for me - without relying on specially crafted packages, prepared by third parties and downloaded from other locations.

So how to easily and hassle-free "create my application" for usage with HFAAO out of the Silverlight.exe installer? Thanks in advance!

We are lucky that MS uses /q switch for silverlight and happen to be compatible with HFSVCPACK_SW2 switch but not all application uses /q switch and we do not have additional HFSVCPACK_SW3 / HFSVCPACK_SW4 etc to accomodate various switches. Hence use the HFAAO

Not really sure if you think it is easy but if you manage to create pack yourself, it is not really hard. There are many addon in nlite - application addon. Download to study them.

====

There are 2 main types of applications addon : sysoc inf type (true addon) & svcpack.inf type (silent installer with or without switch)

For silverlight, since it can install with silent switch, you install via svcpack.inf

Create a new folder, say 'Silverlight30408180'.

Inside 'Silverlight30408180' folder, create a text file manually with filename entries_Silverlight.ini (extension should be .ini, not .txt) -> put your syntax here. I may have sound it simple, but the entries.ini bare minimum should contains [EditFile] and [AddProgram] section only.

At the same time, create a new folder called 'svcpack'

Next put the installer file, Silverlight.exe into this 'svcpack' folder

To cab everything properly, use archiver tool to cab it. I use interchangably cabtool, TugZip and cabpack etc to cab the whole folder structure. If final file pack will be Silverlight30408180.cab

Place it in HFAAO. (BTW, true addon only uses .cab format)

Alternatively, you can also create the pack in Silverlight30408180.7z (7zip format)

In case you download some 3rd-party created application in .7z form, ensure HFTOOLS has 7za.exe.

I upload the silverlight 3 addon. Put it in HFAAO

You may wish to uncab the file to see its file structure. Also take a look at Entries_Silverlight.ini. It contains the silverlight.exe /q switch in [AddProgram] section.

After you ran HFSLIP, open with notepad sourcess\i386\svcpack.inf, look under [setupHotfixesToRun] section,

you will see silverlight.exe /q is listed there. Ready to install at T13.

Silverlight30408180.cab (Host for 2 weeks for download)

Size: 4.7 Mb (4,923,380 bytes)

MD5: 8619C4E2A536982569ABEAF03428A8F8

More reference: [Tutorials] Creating Your Own Updates & Addons (Look at the 2 stickly treads)

Just a note: not all true addon posted at RyanWM Board is compatible with HFSLIP. Always test true addon in VM first.

• 2 weeks later...
[...] Long explanation [...]

Hello Geej,

Thanks for your time and the comprehensive answer. But, to be honest, that's exactly what I did _not_ want to do: reading through different how-to tutorials on some weird config file syntax, playing with new tools, and then extensively trying myself or alternatively testing foreign (from third party = untrusted source) addons which even might not have the correct format, and so on. And, not to forget, this has to be repeated everytime the underlying software (Silverlight here) gets updated...

Requires so much time, and is worth so little - in this case it's even easier to install the respective software manually after the Windows setup has been done. So I think I'll go with the easy way of Bugs Bunny to have my Silverlight installation automated without additional hassle.

Kind regards,

Tomalak

• 1 month later...
Silverlight30408180.cab (Host for 2 weeks for download)

Size: 4.7 Mb (4,923,380 bytes)

MD5: 8619C4E2A536982569ABEAF03428A8F8

hi Geej! link shows:
This file is currently set to private.
... it cannot be downloaded any longer. apparently, the 2-wk limit had already expired. could you kindly reup it or allow access to the file again? thanks! Edited by Kiki Burgh

... it cannot be downloaded any longer. apparently, the 2-wk limit had already expired. could you kindly reup it or allow access to the file again? thanks!
Hi Kiki Burgh

Has re-up for another 2 weeks, same hash.