Missing Driver - Help Needed...

DP03

I'm new to this forum and I'm not too tech savy when it comes to computers. I have a Gateway GT5628 desktop computer. The operating system is Vista Home Premium. I was using it this morning and out of the blue, without warning it restarted itself. The screen that came up said that Windows had not shut down properly etc.

The highlighted option was "to use normal start-up" I used this option and when the desktop came up I got a Windows Problem & Solution Box. So I clicked it and it came back to say:

Your RAID controller is missing a driver. The model name of your RAID controller is Intel Matrix Storage Manager (iaStor.sys).

Did my computer restart itself because I am missing that driver? Also I have owned this computer for about 1-1/2 years did it come without the driver installed or did I lose it some how?

What exactly does that driver do?

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to this forum and I'm not too tech savy when it comes to computers. I have a Gateway GT5628 desktop computer. The operating system is Vista Home Premium. I was using it this morning and out of the blue, without warning it restarted itself. The screen that came up said that Windows had not shut down properly etc.

The highlighted option was "to use normal start-up" I used this option and when the desktop came up I got a Windows Problem & Solution Box. So I clicked it and it came back to say:

Your RAID controller is missing a driver. The model name of your RAID controller is Intel Matrix Storage Manager (iaStor.sys).

Did my computer restart itself because I am missing that driver? Also I have owned this computer for about 1-1/2 years did it come without the driver installed or did I lose it some how?

What exactly does that driver do?

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

It is probable that the Windows solution message is from a previously checked problem by the OS, not necessarily the restart problem. It usually takes a few days for solutions to appear as an offering to you. Does Gateway not offer a solution centre for their machines like Dell and HP? If so, that is your best solution, to allow the Laptop to interact with the Gateway Solution centre and download and update drivers. RAID controller drivers are integral to you being able to access the Hard Disk, so installing the worng driver is a potential for problems!

You can check what caused the failure via EVENT VIEWER. If you click the Orb in the lower left and type in the START SEARCH box, the words EVENT VIEWER you will see up the top of that frame, under the program sub heading, the actual Event Viewer. Single click that and it will open Event Viewer.

In the left box, click the > next to CUSTOM VIEWS and then single click on ADMINISTRATION EVENTS. In the centre box will appear MANY detected problems. Most are trivial and can be ignored. They are arranged in a time scale, so try to find the one that triggered your reboot and explore in the lower centre pane, what it said happened.

It may point you in the right direction

Kotuku

I followed those instructions and got the following information:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager

Date: 7/12/2009 10:31:47 AM

Event ID: 4

Task Category: None

Level: Warning

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer:

Description:

File System Filter 'bdfsfltr' (Version 6.0, 12/31/2007 3:12:12 AM) failed to attach to volume '\Device\CdRom0'. The filter returned a non-standard final status of 0xc0000013. This filter and/or its supporting applications should handle this condition. If this condition persists, contact the vendor.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager" Guid="{f3c5e28e-63f6-49c7-a204-e48a1bc4b09d}" />

<EventID>4</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-12T15:31:47.586Z" />

<EventRecordID>142353</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4240" ThreadID="4796" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>CrazyKitty-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="FinalStatus">0xc0000013</Data>

<Data Name="DeviceVersionMajor">6</Data>

<Data Name="DeviceVersionMinor">0</Data>

<Data Name="DeviceNameLength">8</Data>

<Data Name="DeviceName">bdfsfltr</Data>

<Data Name="DeviceTime">2007-12-31T03:12:12.000Z</Data>

<Data Name="ExtraStringLength">14</Data>

<Data Name="ExtraString">\Device\CdRom0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Should I ignore the Windows Problem Reports & Solutions advice to download the missing RAID controller (Intel Matrix Storage Manager (iaStor.sys) driver?

Edited by DP03

OK, this is something to do with Bitdefender, I assume you have this for Anti Virus? Also it is only showing as a warning, so may not be the reason your system restarted.

Also, it is to do with Bitdefender scanning the DVD drive, which you probably don't need to happen if there is no disk in there?

1. You should raise this in the Bitdefender Forum help page on their web site. I see by a quick Google there were a lot of these problems in late 2007.

2. Within the Bdefender setup, there should be a tick box to not scan optical drives, you should make sure it isn't scanning them

Report back if your problem is solved, so others can learn

You may like to install Secunia PSI

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

It will make sure most programs and some hardware are up to date and offers a simple one click to fix them. It happily sits alongside other AV or Firewall software.

You may also like to learn how to use the Reliability and Performance Monitor?

Click the Orb and type in Reliability and click on at the top, RELIABILITY & PERFORMANCE. On the new screen that pops up, click the RELIABILITY MONITOR at the left side. Now you see a timeline of events since the computer was first started. Click on any event (as a Yellow triangle on the timeline) to see what happened on that day. It also rates your computer with a score, 10.00 is perfect. Most computers start at or near 10.0 and go down. They go up when you fix problems or don't uninstall software.