Sysprepping Windows 7

Hi everyone from what I read is that you can not copy the admin profile to the default in Windows 7 you must create another account, grant it admin rights, then sysprep from that account. I am completely new to the Windows Sim and Sysprepping I created an answer file then ran sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:c:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml

I thought everything was ok then on starting up the machine I receive an error Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass specialize. The settings specified in the answer file can not be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component Microsoft Windows shell setup. Basically I want Windows 7 to come up in the mini setup so I can name the machine select the date and time zone, then install the networking components automatically like XP did. Can someone look at my xml file and tell me where I went wrong. I also am adding my sysprep.inf from XP to give an idea of what I am trying to accomplish thank you James.

unattend.xml

SYSPREP.txt

i would suggest downloading the Windows AIK and using that to work on your image, much easier that way. If you are not adding any installed applications to the image you can used the sysprepped image that comes with retail disk. just pull the files from the disk, load up the WIM with SIM and create an unattended file with the settings you want, name it autounattended and add it to the files from the disk and create a new ISO.

i would suggest downloading the Windows AIK and using that to work on your image, much easier that way. If you are not adding any installed applications to the image you can used the sysprepped image that comes with retail disk. just pull the files from the disk, load up the WIM with SIM and create an unattended file with the settings you want, name it autounattended and add it to the files from the disk and create a new ISO.

Hi Fizban,

Do you mean just to copy install and boot.wim off the windows7 RC dvd ? I have to test an unattend answer file as well.

To create an iso with my autounattend on it ; shall i just extract the iso first then add the autounattend and burn it again on to a dvd. ?

Thanks

essentially yes, if you want to save DVD's, you can format a USB stick and place all the source files on that. You can then boot off the USB stick and test the unattended file. the WAIK comes with complete documentation on doing this

• 2 weeks later...

Hey jrotiroti or anyone.

do you know where I can get step by step instructions on how to create unattend.xml.

The ones on Micrsoft Website was to difficult to follow.

I have Symantec Ghost 2.5 to use to copy my image to deploy.

Do you know if I can use a sysprep.inf file for Windows 7