CD Key issue with a XP SP3 build

sublow

sublow, you will always have the option to not slip SP3 - just install it after you install Windows. We think that should work. You can also barrow an SP machine, install a virtual system under W7, or use the virtual thingy you were telling us about. Please let us know if that works - sounds like a real possibility to me. To ask again, which version of PIDGEN.DLL did you use? Enjoy, John.

@ john: my pidgen.dll version is 5.1.2600.1106. This is the original file from my CD that I used to replace the slipstreamed one with.

Sorted out the virtual XP tool on Windows 7 that I couldn't install. I'm gonna try it now.

There is something else I forgot to mention: I can't slipstream SP3 from my SP1 CD (alert message) unless I get rid of the svcpack.inf file (a tip I read somewhere on a french forum).

Really hope it doesn't come from here, now that I'm truing again on virtual XP.

Edited by sublow

There are different pidgen.dlls for different XP SKUs. In the i386\ip subfolder of the extracted SP3 is a pidgen.dll for XP Professional. In the i386\ic subfolder is the pidgen.dll for XP Home. p means Professional and c means Consumer aka Home Edition.

If you change it to the right one there should be no problem. Maybe the pid.inf has also to be replaced?

Nlite works great on Win Vista and 7 - no need for compatibility mode. I just use an xpsp3 source and everythings fine.

same error here. the reason is that ms changed the key algo somewhere between sp1 and sp2. additionally, in the earlier versions it was impossible to go further without a valid key. so try with an earlier key (or if you did, then with a newer one), and see what happens. it solved my problem.

Edited by bviktor

bviktor, in this forum, you can nowhere without a valid key. Please see the forum rules at the top. The forum does not allow discussion of hacked Windows and using boot legged keys. Enjoy, John.

bviktor, in this forum, you can nowhere without a valid key. Please see the forum rules at the top. The forum does not allow discussion of hacked Windows and using boot legged keys. Enjoy, John.

i in now way mentioned hacked keys, so please don't blame me for something i haven't done. i was talkin about older and newer keys. one can have more of them you know.

I msut say that I used nLite on my laptop, which is using the Windows 7 RC. (for now, i don't have access to any other computer witb XP)
There's your problem. You need to run nLite on a Windows XP or a Windows Server 2003 machine. There's are issues (like the one you're having) when running it under Windows Vista and Windows 7.

WHAT??! I spent four hours and three CD-Rs with nLite on my only other computer (running Vista) to build a Windows XP disk to repair my PC , only to run into this. I spent 5 hours painstakingly verifying that the OEM product key is indeed the one in nLite and the one in the XP registry and trying all kinds of workarounds.

Put "Don't run nLite on Vista" information prominently on the web site! :angry:

Does the Requirements in the "guide" on nLite's site mention this? Hell no.

Does the nLite FAQ mention this? Hell no.

I'm glad I found this but... Aggghghhhhh!

Your best bet without a Windows XP machine would be to temporarily install Windows XP in a virtual machine and run nLite from there (you can use your OEM copy - it won't activate, but that's fine).

Can you recommend a decent guide to doing that?

Nlite works great on Win Vista and 7 - no need for compatibility mode.

That seems directly contradicted by this problem!

If it's just one DLL, why oh why can't nLite detect this and do the right thing?

WHAT??! I spent four hours and three CD-Rs with nLite on my only other computer (running Vista) to build a Windows XP disk to repair my PC , only to run into this. I spent 5 hours painstakingly verifying that the OEM product key is indeed the one in nLite and the one in the XP registry and trying all kinds of workarounds.
This is why you should always test your custom ISO in a virtual machine before burning it to a CD-R as I've mentioned before OR use a CD-RW. Don't try blaming your wasted CD-Rs on the software - it's even mentioned in the nLite FAQ to use a virtual machine.
Put "Don't run nLite on Vista" information prominently on the web site! :angry:
Not needed - it's documented all over the nLite forum. A quick search will result in several people having the exact same problem.
Your best bet without a Windows XP machine would be to temporarily install Windows XP in a virtual machine and run nLite from there (you can use your OEM copy - it won't activate, but that's fine).

Can you recommend a decent guide to doing that?

Have you checked Google yet? It's really not that hard to find a decent guide on how to create one.
Nlite works great on Win Vista and 7 - no need for compatibility mode.

That seems directly contradicted by this problem!

If it's just one DLL, why oh why can't nLite detect this and do the right thing?

I can't comment on this as I haven't tried it in Windows 7 yet.

skierpage, first I would suggest you need to calm down and remember the environment you are in here. NLite is a FREE program offered as is. The support system is us humble volunteers and these forums. I think some searching will yield the conclusion that running nLite under Vista (or W7) will probably work if you do not slipstream an SP. Vista is fairly new and experience has developed about what OS you can use to run it for building an ISO. Documentation for free programs is notoriously, shall we say, not the most complete and since nuhi (owner/author) has taken a hiatus from nLite, it may be some time before changes of any kind are implemented.

There are three main virtual system available that people here use plus probably many more. VMware Server, VirtualPC and VirtualBox are all free. I use the first, but it is huge compared to the other two. You need to consider the host you are running and the OS you will want to run in the VM. Google is your great partner here. Enjoy, John.

@johnhc, @gamehead200,

In no way was I criticizing this forum, and I appreciate your fast answers. :thumbup I'm sorry if I gave any other impression. I was and am specifically begging for the nLite website and its FAQ to mention this known unresolved issue: Can't slipstream on Vista or Windows 7.

In making my XP SP3 slipstreamed disk with SATA drivers, I googled and consulted the nLite website and forum extensively, but I missed this issue completely. Since I have a genuine Certificate of Authenticity and full Windows XP Home CD from my manufacturer (Falcon Northwest), I had no reason to read every post about product keys. Since I built my boot CD from XP SP1a CD and XP SP3, I assumed running nLite on Vista would not affect the results. Live and learn ;) , but let others know!

since nuhi (owner/author) has taken a hiatus from nLite, it may be some time before changes of any kind are implemented.
Ah, So nobody can update the nLite web site? :( I suggest someone make a sticky thread titled as above.

Again, thanks to forum members for all the suggestions. I'm off to try them out...

Edited by skierpage

since nuhi (owner/author) has taken a hiatus from nLite, it may be some time before changes of any kind are implemented.
Ah, So nobody can update the nLite web site? :( I suggest someone make a sticky thread titled as above.

Nobody but nuhi himself can update the nLite website AFAIK.

As I'm sure you're well aware (you even mentioned it in your initial post), there have been contradicting reports of nLite working fine/not working on both Windows Vista and Windows 7, so until we confirm what exactly is causing it to (sometimes) not work as expected on these two OSes, no other posts/topics will be pinned.