Preinstall XP with software from an image?

Okay, I have a brand new installed operating system on one of my hard drives. I have Microsoft Office 2007 on it and a few other programs. How can I put this OS on a CD, so when I pop it in another hard drive that doesnt has an OS, it starts installing XP along with the software? We've done this in scripting class but I can't remember how :(

I just remember them saying they had a fresh copy of Xp with installed programs, and made an image (which idk how to do), but as far as im concerned, an image doesnt contain installation files and won't start an installation once the computer boots.

I believe you're thinking of Sysprep since you mentioned you don't actually want any installation files, but just an image with everything already installed: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457073.aspx

Sysprep will prepare the image (which you can create using imaging software like Norton Ghost) for deployment on another computer.

I believe you're thinking of Sysprep since you mentioned you don't actually want any installation files, but just an image with everything already installed: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457073.aspx

Sysprep will prepare the image (which you can create using imaging software like Norton Ghost) for deployment on another computer.

Thanks, after all of this, when I insert the CD in the next computer, will it automatically start Windows XP Installation? Or is it some ghost utility that runs first? I would prefer it to Start windows XP and install the software during the XP installation.

Thanks, after all of this, when I insert the CD in the next computer, will it automatically start Windows XP Installation? Or is it some ghost utility that runs first? I would prefer it to Start windows XP and install the software during the XP installation.

OK, now you're mixing up two completely different things.

If you want a CD/DVD that automatically installs Windows XP followed by the applications of your choice on any computer you insert it into, then you have to create an unattended disc. You can start off by reading our unattended guide or by browsing through this forum.

On the other hand, if you want something that clones a hard disk which contains Windows XP and the applications of your choice already installed, then you need to prepare it with Sysprep and then clone or "ghost" that hard disk onto another hard disk using something like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to do so.

OK, now you're mixing up two completely different things.

If you want a CD/DVD that automatically installs Windows XP followed by the applications of your choice on any computer you insert it into, then you have to create an unattended disc. You can start off by reading our unattended guide or by browsing through this forum.

On the other hand, if you want something that clones a hard disk which contains Windows XP and the applications of your choice already installed, then you need to prepare it with Sysprep and then clone or "ghost" that hard disk onto another hard disk using something like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to do so.

Hmm, okay. I'll try this then.

Okay, now I have another question.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/44/

"Add these lines to your batch file" ??

Are we just supposed to create any name.bat in that folder with those lines? And it'll still work?

Also, it says UltraISO, WinISO is not recommended for burning your ISO, then what is recommended? Not sure if MagicISO would fall in the same category with ultraiso or not.

Edited by altjx

Okay, now I have another question.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/44/

"Add these lines to your batch file" ??

Are we just supposed to create any name.bat in that folder with those lines? And it'll still work?

Also, it says UltraISO, WinISO is not recommended for burning your ISO, then what is recommended? Not sure if MagicISO would fall in the same category with ultraiso or not.

IIRC, it's referring to one of these: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/30/

Personally, I would just use the CDIMAGE utility that's readily available to create your final ISO - just do a Google search for it.

Nice, I downloaded CDImage and finally found out why my CDs weren't booting. I didn't put the boot.img file in with the ISO and burn it. One more question, I think you already explained I can do this with Ghost, but I think Norton Ghost has an interface with the bootable CD.

Would it be the same as if I put a regular retail CD in, and after the XP installation finishes, I have my own software on there? Basically like XP with prepackaged software. Sorry if I'm p***ing you off, it's so hard to explain =(

Edited by altjx

Nice, thanks dude. Finally got the bootable CD working! Now I think there's a way I can install a fresh copy of XP, install my software, and just image that somehow without worrying about configuring the batch files. This way once XP is finished, all my software will be done, even if it's something not on the guide, right? Sorry if I'm p***ing you off, just trying to learn what I forgot. :(
You can't exactly "image" an unattended installation, per se. You'd have to go the clone/ghost route for what you're looking to do (i.e., install everything, clone the drive, and keep that cloned drive as a backup for when you want to image another machine).

Nice, thanks dude. Finally got the bootable CD working! Now I think there's a way I can install a fresh copy of XP, install my software, and just image that somehow without worrying about configuring the batch files. This way once XP is finished, all my software will be done, even if it's something not on the guide, right? Sorry if I'm p***ing you off, just trying to learn what I forgot. :(
You can't exactly "image" an unattended installation, per se. You'd have to go the clone/ghost route for what you're looking to do (i.e., install everything, clone the drive, and keep that cloned drive as a backup for when you want to image another machine).

Oh okay, then I'm not gonna worry about unattended then, I'll just stick to clicking. But as far as XP Installation followed by applications, I can do that from an image? Rather than the batch script stuff?

Oh okay, then I'm not gonna worry about unattended then, I'll just stick to clicking. But as far as XP Installation followed by applications, I can do that from an image? Rather than the batch script stuff?
An image usually already has the applications installed. No need for "batch script stuff;" you just need to run Sysprep against it if you want to put it on another or other machine(s).

Ah, thanks then man. So just to be positive, If I wanted to make a disc that ran XP installation and installed applications, I'd just make an image of a HD that has it already, and use Sysprep, and the CD will install XP and copy the image

Ah, thanks then man. So just to be positive, If I wanted to make a disc that ran XP installation and installed applications, I'd just make an image of a HD that has it already, and use Sysprep, and the CD will install XP and copy the image
An image already contains an installed copy of XP and its applications - it doesn't install anything. When you clone or ghost a drive, you just make a copy of it to another hard disk.

ugh, this is more complicating than what I thought. I only wanted to see how they did it in class.. It was pretty much like this. We turned on our computers, and Windows XP Setup Installation came up, and after the installation, it already had stuff on it like MS Office 2007, Adobe Reader, stuff like pidgin. I was just trying to find out how they did that. and I was asking because it basically looked like it was a CD from the manufacturer, except with additional stuff on it.

Edited by altjx

ugh, this is more complicating than what I thought. I only wanted to see how they did it in class.. It was pretty much like this. We turned on our computers, and Windows XP Setup Installation came up, and after the installation, it already had stuff on it like MS Office 2007, Adobe Reader, stuff like pidgin. I was just trying to find out how they did that. and I was asking because it basically looked like it was a CD from the manufacturer, except with additional stuff on it.
That's Sysprep running, not the Windows XP installation (it just has that title). Everything's already installed on the drive when Sysprep runs - all it does is prepare the computer so that it doesn't conflict with others on the network (i.e., assigns it a unique ID, computer name, adds it to the domain, etc.). So what you want is not an unattended CD/DVD, but a hard disk (or image) with everything already installed and ready to run Sysprep the first time it boots up. You should really give this a read-over: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457073.aspx
Sysprep assigns a unique security ID (SID) to each destination computer the first time the computer is restarted. Sysprep configures the operating system to use Windows Welcome or Mini–Setup to run the first time the end user restarts the computer. This shortened form of GUI–mode Setup takes 5 or 6 minutes instead of the usual 45 to 60 minutes, and it prompts the end user only for required and user–specific information, such as accepting the End–User License Agreement (EULA) and entering the Product Key, user name, and company name.