GDI Heap Extender

Hi,

after coming back to my place (and of course to my 98 SE boxes) from one week vacation I found that GDI faults reported and described earlier are successfully solved. Thank you Tihiy.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I stumbled upon a potential limitation in the extender (or just misrepresentation of the resource meter perhaps?). When the bitmap count is pushed beyond 600 (611) in this case, certain applications may start to lose their GDI elements (will become blank or corrupt) or will not properly refresh GDI elements. After around 800-1000 or more bitmap entries, some noted symptoms have occured:

1) Internet explorer will only load a page in one explorer instance. All others stay blank and/or not loaded

2) Some programs may not load at all, such as Mozilla Thunderbird

3) Programs may crash with an error containing no error data (no data in the dump info, etc)

4) Trying to save data from the clipboard in MSPaint would result in the following messages: "error getting the clipboard data" followed by "There is not enough memory or resources to complete operation. Close some programs, and then try again."

5) Programs beginnignt o become affected may exhibit pink corners frm the skinning engine

6) Explorer may crash with an illegal operation error in rp8.dll (only noted once)

During all this, resource meter may report that resources are still plenty with around 60-75% GDI resources available.

.. as a side curiosity.. does the GDI extender also go as far as Brushes/Pens? Some programs such as 3mle, a MIDI->MML composer/editor for example basically overflow the brush/pen count with useless entries (but still clean most of them up on close) after a while of use and need to be closed down and restarted to actually use again before it brings down the system due to a lack of resources as a result.

Edited by Chozo4

I think I stumbled upon a potential limitation in the extender

you've bumped into 32-bit heap limitation <- link doesn't work for some reason, look previous page with GDIMaxHeapSize description.

As for GDI Heap Extender: i had release ready but now i'm fighting with extremely nasty Miranda IM crash similar to previously reported, and it's hard to defeat.

Edited by Tihiy

you've bumped into 32-bit heap limitation

Can this be overcome by increasing the value of GDIMaxHeapSize in win.ini? When this value is changed, will it be effective at once or a reboot is needed? Will RP10 have an interface for tuning this value? Or will it be tuned automatically by RP10?

Can this be overcome by increasing the value of GDIMaxHeapSize in win.ini?
Yep. I plan RP10 to bump it to 4MB (only if not already specified). Setting too big values is not recommended as it may deplete too much selectors.

May I join the testing please. My current config is as follow:

I don't have: RP9

I have: KernelEx 4.0 Final 2, Unofficial WMF Q918547 GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE Fix

What is the minimum action that I should conduct for joining the testing? If RP9 is mandatory, which of its feature must be installed?

Just want to clarify before I jump, thanks.

Edited by oc_dt

• 3 weeks later...
I think I stumbled upon a potential limitation in the extender (or just misrepresentation of the resource meter perhaps?). When the bitmap count is pushed beyond 600 (611) in this case, certain applications may start to lose their GDI elements (will become blank or corrupt) or will not properly refresh GDI elements. After around 800-1000 or more bitmap entries, some noted symptoms have occured:

.. as a side curiosity.. does the GDI extender also go as far as Brushes/Pens? Some programs such as 3mle, a MIDI->MML composer/editor for example basically overflow the brush/pen count with useless entries (but still clean most of them up on close) after a while of use and need to be closed down and restarted to actually use again before it brings down the system due to a lack of resources as a result.

Chozo4, which tool do you use to see all these parameters? I'd like to try it.

May I join the testing please. My current config is as follow:

I don't have: RP9

I have: KernelEx 4.0 Final 2, Unofficial WMF Q918547 GDI32.DLL + GDI.EXE Fix

What is the minimum action that I should conduct for joining the testing? If RP9 is mandatory, which of its feature must be installed?

Just want to clarify before I jump, thanks.

May you help me on the installation instruction please?

No. Sorry, i don't need testing anymore, nor do i have time to review testing results. GDI Heap Extender is unstable beta (stable for someone/thing, but not everyone/thing) and there are known problems which require major changes which i can't afford yet due to lack of time.

No. Sorry, i don't need testing anymore, nor do i have time to review testing results. GDI Heap Extender is unstable beta (stable for someone/thing, but not everyone/thing) and there are known problems which require major changes which i can't afford yet due to lack of time.

Sorry to hear about that. Please let us know if you have new progress at your free time.

Hi Tihiy,

beta 2 works now perfect hier (WIN 98SE + 4.10.2222 + IE6SP with newest = beta (unofficial) updates).

After install, 2 Dr Watson messages (even if Dr Watson is not in the taskbar anymore, but still in the startup after installing your software):

1st message:

Windows Briefcase used an invalid or uninitialized "critical section".

Module Name: SYNCUI.DLL

Description: Windows Briefcase

Version: 4.10.1998

Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Application Name: Pdexplo.exe

Description: PowerDesk

Version: 5.0.1.6

Product: PowerDesk

Manufacturer: V Communications, Inc.

--> Reinstalled SYNCUI.DLL with SFC from c:\windows\options\cabs

But then again:

2nd message:

Windows Briefcase used a system resource improperly.

Module Name: SYNCUI.DLL

Description: Windows Briefcase

Version: 4.10.1998

Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Application Name: Explorer.exe

Description: Windows Explorer

Version: 4.72.3612.1710

Product: Microsoft® Windows NT® Operating System

--> Reinstalled SYNCUI.DLL again with SFC from c:\windows\options\cabs

I suppose I needed to do this operation twice, because PowerDesk is his "grafted" on WINExplorer.

Then an one the (start) page of my internet provider, who was saying that I needed to edit some lines in IE (I believe) to correctly read the page (some pictures where missing). After some trial and error, I replaced Flash 9 with Flash 10 (oups, forgot to set back the registry from WIN NT to WIN 98, need to do that after this message).

NOW everthing is fine and VERY STABLE (GDI and Systems in Bear is at 77% at the moment). GREAT WORK AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Good luck !

Roger

Edited by RodgerOver